Is survival in League One so important?

I fear we would fester in that division for aslong as we have in L1, SC threatens to resign when it looks like we could be relegated, plus side is theres some new away grounds and some old haunts for a few of us, would relegation give the powers that be a kick up the arse.. maybe, maybe not.. i get the feeling SC is more bothered about getting the commerical side up and running than changing our fate round on the footballing side of things

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear we would fester in that division for aslong as we have in L1, SC threatens to resign when it looks like we could be relegated, plus side is theres some new away grounds and some old haunts for a few of us, would relegation give the powers that be a kick up the arse.. maybe, maybe not.. i get the feeling SC is more bothered about getting the commerical side up and running than changing our fate round on the footballing side of things

SC cares about the football club, I'm convinced of that. He simply isn't wealthy enough to support us. He needs a combination cup run money, non football related income and the Oldham public to turn up to be able to propel us forwards.

Blitz & Gazal bought the club for its land. It's a contribution to their pension scheme.... To be able to redevelop it.

We are an unsaleable asset without the land and the stands.

SC cares about the football club, I'm convinced of that. He simply isn't wealthy enough to support us. He needs a combination cup run money, non football related income and the Oldham public to turn up to be able to propel us forwards.

Blitz & Gazal bought the club for its land. It's a contribution to their pension scheme.... To be able to redevelop it.

Rough guide to income;

OEC Latics

Car park revenue

Hospitality boxes

Leisure Centre (when completed)

Hotel (when completed)

Sports Direct store (when completed)

Plenty get promoted from league 2 with budgets similar to what ours will be, even if reduced. Getting out of league 1 on our budget is virtually impossible. I am willing to take the chance in the interest of it giving the club a kick up the backside, as perverse as it sounds.

Sometimes you have to hit the bottom before anyone takes notice and does something about it. Our problem is we have never hit the bottom (not in league standing anyway). Slow painful decline and disappearing without anyone even realising.

Brighton, swansea, Doncaster, hull are cases in point.

All these four teams had new owners with some money and a new ground

Plenty get promoted from league 2 with budgets similar to what ours will be, even if reduced. Getting out of league 1 on our budget is virtually impossible. I am willing to take the chance in the interest of it giving the club a kick up the backside, as perverse as it sounds.

Sometimes you have to hit the bottom before anyone takes notice and does something about it. Our problem is we have never hit the bottom (not in league standing anyway). Slow painful decline and disappearing without anyone even realising.

Brighton, swansea, Doncaster, hull are cases in point.

Each of those teams have moved to new Staduims.

With the exception of Doncaster the other 3 teams have good Catchment areas with not many rivals within a 20mile radius.

If We had gone down under Penney I think we would of come back up as, Shez won promotion with Chesterfield with a fair few players we had released.

Sadly it's changed teams in League 2 now with bigger budgets, as are some of the Conference teams.

Home crowds will continue to drop, don't forget we have alot lot of older fans, sadly a fair few younger fans who seem to follow both Oldham and City.

It's hard convincing them and neutrals to get to a league one game as it is, imagine trying to get them to see us play Forest Green or Eastleigh on a Saturday afternoon?

A lot of the newer clubs as shown by Fleetwood and proberly both Accrington, Morecambe won't bring many fans either so away support will continue to fall.

Potentially in the Conference a home against Boreham Wood or Braintree mid week away following could not even reach double figures. (This has been known to happen)

As mentioned earlier odds are we will attract worser players and if we did end up in the

Conference who's to say we won end up having part time players?

If it's anything like our previous two relegations from the Prem & Division 1 we will proberly start the season off ok then fade out the second half.

Sorry but survival is important, relegation won't be the end of Latics, but don't make good reading either.

Edited by Forte_Baby

Relegation would hit us hard whichever way you look at it. It is however only the symptom not the cause of the deep seated problems that pervade the club. Lack of communication and empathy between the club and fans leaves us confused and deeply irritated as we look in from the outside. What is certain is that when 2 players (Philliskirk and Wellens),who have a sense of belonging to the club and manager, leave in a heartbeat things must be worse than we can ever imagine.

I realise this week that having slid down over the last 20 years we are now going over the edge of the cliff.

All the risks that people point out are very real. I am not short sighted and realise that league 2 football does not automatically mean we will suddenly start winning every game. Much more has to change within the club needs to change to realise that.

However I maintain the view that league 2 football gives this club a fighting chance of being competitive on our budget. That is all I am asking for.

There is absolutely no point being in league one if we cannot compete.

League 2 might see us free fall. It might have the opposite effect. However nothjng short of going out of business can be worse than the last twenty years so we have absolutely nothing to lose.

Im not saying he doesnt care, im suggesting that hes more than happy for the club survive in L1 one with out ever really pushing as long as the other incomes are secure.

Only time will tell

All the risks that people point out are very real. I am not short sighted and realise that league 2 football does not automatically mean we will suddenly start winning every game. Much more has to change within the club needs to change to realise that.

However I maintain the view that league 2 football gives this club a fighting chance of being competitive on our budget. That is all I am asking for.

League 2 might see us free fall. It might have the opposite effect. However nothjng short of going out of business can be worse than the last twenty years so we have absolutely nothing to lose.

Of course we'd have something to lose, our League status.

You seem to be thinking that the chances of us being able to compete or go into free fall are a 50/50 bet. They simoly aren't, the odds are heavily stacked in favour of is bring g relegated. About 1/10 on...

Thing is league one last season and this season has shown me on there day anyone can beat anybody, a decent manager and we can compete with other teams.

If we are close to being competitive in league one subject to some minor changes within the club then I am of course more than willing to agree that maintaining our league one status is important. I don't agree that this is the case though.

Likewise if statistics say that we are highly likely to free fall upon dropping into league two then again I am happy to accept that maintaining our league one status is the lesser of two evils. Again I don't agree that that is the case.

Fans of this club are obsessed with staying in league one. Would watching us in the conference be any less fun? Absolutely not. Obviously am playing devils advocat on that one but fans need to ask themselves what they want out of supporting this club.

League 1 (or even football league) survival is an arbitrary measure of stability which in no way translates to supporter satisfaction. It is way way down on the list of things I want out of supporting oafc.

Said all this when we dropped from the premier league then the championship. The reality is the budget adjusts with the drop in league position and we end up in mid lower table all the time. We need to somehow survive in L1 yet again, and yet again try to build from here just like the other God knows how many seasons.

But relegation is definitely not the answer.

If we are close to being competitive in league one subject to some minor changes within the club then I am of course more than willing to agree that maintaining our league one status is important. I don't agree that this is the case though.

Likewise if statistics say that we are highly likely to free fall upon dropping into league two then again I am happy to accept that maintaining our league one status is the lesser of two evils. Again I don't agree that that is the case.

Fans of this club are obsessed with staying in league one. Would watching us in the conference be any less fun? Absolutely not. Obviously am playing devils advocat on that one but fans need to ask themselves what they want out of supporting this club.

League 1 (or even football league) survival is an arbitrary measure of stability which in no way translates to supporter satisfaction. It is way way down on the list of things I want out of supporting oafc.

As a football fan in general, being selfish once i would not been arsed about being in League Two for the new grounds, but having seen many teams get promoted and relegated from this league is relegation worth it for the sake of 6 or 7 grounds?

LJ was not a class or anything special but when he left we where in a play off spot? I am sick of league one but if we are going to get out of it i much rather we try for promotion, something the board should of realised last season. Looking back an oppotunity missed seeing no club seemed to have a strong grip on 6th place.

Edited by Forte_Baby

Not saying we will come back up and am acutely aware of 1994 and 1997 but football is about risk and percentages. As a matter of fact you have more chance of seeing your team winning on a regular basis and enjoying your Saturday experience if we are in league 2 - a league far more suited to our crowds and budget.

Maybe this argument is my coping mechanism but I am coming to terms with the fact that we are probably going to have to watch league 2 football soon and we need to try and use it to galvanise the club rather than being bitter about it.

No reason why budget need change substantially. As per my original post I feel income would not be materially different to today

Not this :censored:e again. People that think us being relegated and then be fighting for promotion (or even rebuilding) the next season honestly must believe in the tooth fairy and aliens.

This all the way.

Also Corney will have far more problems trying to sell a 4th tier club on 2.5k gates than he will a 3rd tier club on 3.5k gates.

Anyone wanting to watch 4th tier football go and watch it those clubs will be welcome for your support.

This all the way.

Also Corney will have far more problems trying to sell a 4th tier club on 2.5k gates than he will a 3rd tier club on 3.5k gates.

Anyone wanting to watch 4th tier football go and watch it those clubs will be welcome for your support.

Most my get the chance next season.

Not saying we will come back up and am acutely aware of 1994 and 1997 but football is about risk and percentages. As a matter of fact you have more chance of seeing your team winning on a regular basis and enjoying your Saturday experience if we are in league 2 - a league far more suited to our crowds and budget.

Maybe this argument is my coping mechanism but I am coming to terms with the fact that we are probably going to have to watch league 2 football soon and we need to try and use it to galvanise the club rather than being bitter about it.

No reason why budget need change substantially. As per my original post I feel income would not be materially different to today

If we go down i will still support them, i am proberly one of the most positive fans you will meet but also realistic and there is no garuntee we will win more games in League 2, not based on current performances and to alot of smaller teams we may seen as bigger fish so will no doubt raise there game against us.

People may go on about us being League one all these years but the BBC, ITV, BT still like to mention M**K H**hes 94 semi final goal whenever they can or if where still in the cup.

I think in theory you can find the positive out of relegation. Fresh start, clean slate, try and galvanise everyone for a promotion push. Promotion from league 2 should be much easier than from league 1.

But we just don't have the board for it. Fundamentally we are very badly run apart from the odd individual. Relegation would be a disaster unless new owners with a plan were already in place.

So what? Having a club to watch and one which is capable of competing is the important point. What league we are in is irrelevant. Our continued presence in this league (one in which we are incapable of competing in) is solely responsible for our misery as fans and the absence of any sense of satisfaction in watching latics.

Stop obsessing about status. Change your mindset and realise what is important about supporting your club.

Why would our homes crowds drop? The 3.5k that watch us now are the absolute hardcore. Twenty years of god awful existence hasn't turned them away and home crowds have not dropped in the last 4 years as far as I know.

This loyal hardcore are here till the death and will continue to turn up in the conference.