Is survival in League One so important?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SC cares about the football club, I'm convinced of that. He simply isn't wealthy enough to support us. He needs a combination cup run money, non football related income and the Oldham public to turn up to be able to propel us forwards.

Blitz & Gazal bought the club for its land. It's a contribution to their pension scheme.... To be able to redevelop it.

We are an unsaleable asset without the land and the stands.

Whether Corney cares about the club or not (and personally I don't think he does), he hasn't got a clue how to run it. That is the problem.

Morning Latics.

Just having a quick scan round some football league forums ( sighs ) and saw this thread.

Trust me, you really do not want to fall into the trap of thinking relegation to League 2 will result in a more competitive and buoyant league campaign.

When we went down from League 1, that was the feeling at our place, but I remember saying at the time that we were only one bad season from the trapdoor. Of course, even being pessimistic, I never for a second believed that would actually happen, as the standard in League 2 was very poor, but then so were we, and in the blink of an eye, there it was, the disaster of falling out of the football league.

So what of the conference? Well, on the positive side, yes, there are some new away adventures to unlikely outposts, but on the whole, there is just an overwhelming sense of sadness as to how it has come to this for us. No club has a divine right to walk this league because of the perceived size of the club or fanbase, and it has been harrowing to watch us get regularly turned over at Prenton Park by part-timers. I guess the movement in and out of players as we fell through the divisions was inevitable, but it seems that our playing standards have reduced season by season to reflect the club's status.

Lads, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking as long as you have a club to support, it doesn't so much matter what league (or non-league) you are in, and to some extent there may be some validity in that, but the reality is it is heartbreaking, soul-destroying, and miserably wretched.

Cling on to your League 1 status at all costs, and good luck, until / if we meet again.

Morning Latics.

Just having a quick scan round some football league forums ( sighs ) and saw this thread.

Trust me, you really do not want to fall into the trap of thinking relegation to League 2 will result in a more competitive and buoyant league campaign.

When we went down from League 1, that was the feeling at our place, but I remember saying at the time that we were only one bad season from the trapdoor. Of course, even being pessimistic, I never for a second believed that would actually happen, as the standard in League 2 was very poor, but then so were we, and in the blink of an eye, there it was, the disaster of falling out of the football league.

So what of the conference? Well, on the positive side, yes, there are some new away adventures to unlikely outposts, but on the whole, there is just an overwhelming sense of sadness as to how it has come to this for us. No club has a divine right to walk this league because of the perceived size of the club or fanbase, and it has been harrowing to watch us get regularly turned over at Prenton Park by part-timers. I guess the movement in and out of players as we fell through the divisions was inevitable, but it seems that our playing standards have reduced season by season to reflect the club's status.

Lads, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking as long as you have a club to support, it doesn't so much matter what league (or non-league) you are in, and to some extent there may be some validity in that, but the reality is it is heartbreaking, soul-destroying, and miserably wretched.

Cling on to your League 1 status at all costs, and good luck, until / if we meet again.

This☝. If we go down we won't be any more competitive than we are in league one. We can't afford to pay or players in this league so will have to offload most if not all of the current squad(not saying that's a disaster) but they would be replaced with the saddleworth school year eleven captain, a few of Springheads fringe players and maybe one or two youths from the Waterhead Academy with our board of directors. Barry might get down to Alexander park early Sunday morning and tap up a couple of them guys wearing yellow vests that say "community pay back" on the back of them to give us a bit of bite in midfield. I think we would just sink like a stone.

Anybody watching this Oxford team would agree these would batter us.

Their Chairman is giving the manager 50% of gate receipts for recruitment, and they already look miles better than us.

It might quell the boredom, but not for long as we sagged in that division too. I have no confidence in this Chairman in any league. The same excuses would be dragged out if we were in North West Counties Division Two.

• 1 month later...

Often wondered about this situation - and yes I thought the same as the OP in 94 and 97.

Whilst you cannot be sure what would happen if you went down - assume that you could have a guarantee what would you pick?

1) Relegation this season and promotion the next (not the championship though)

2) Survive this season and mid table next.

Genuinely wasn't arsed about going down a couple of months ago. Games like Southend were good for the comedy value.

New manager, a bit of fight and a bit of (probably unfounded) optimism that we might do something next year if we stay in this division and I'm fully on board again.

Not pitch invasion material but there's a light again.

Not pitch invasion material but there's a light again.

If it comes down to the Coventry game I think the euphoria and relief would see most on.

A couple of months ago we were nailed on down and I was coming to terms with the idea of watching us against Barnet on a Tuesday night

A couple of months ago we were nailed on down and I was coming to terms with the idea of watching us against Barnet on a Tuesday night

"I can cope with despair Laura, it's the hope that kills me" Brian Stimpson (John Cleese), Clockwise (1986).

For the first time in a long while we are now odds against to be relegated at 6/4.

Colchester 1/66

Crewe 1/33

Shrewsbury 10/11

Blackpool Evs

Oldham 6/4

Chesterfield 4/1

Fleetwood 5/1

It's then a huge jump to Doncaster on 28/1 that may be worth a couple of quid, considering we were 1/5 second favourites for the drop 6 games ago that's hell of a turnaround.