Who Will Invest ?

We have struggled to find credible investment over the last 5 years. Over that period the fan base has steadily eroded and continues to do so at an accelerated pace.

All the talk of the new stand attracting investors into the football club is bollocks. You either want to buy a football club in a locality with a potentially growing fan base or run an Event Centre with large capacity in a prosperous area neither of which applies.

So rich Chinese Investor sat there with £50m to burn is he attracted to:

A club in Division 2 with a dwindling fan base

A club within 10 miles of 2 of the giants of world football

A club in one of the least prosperous towns in England with lower than average disposable income per

head

A club requiring significant investment in the ground soaking up more cash

A club that has a minimum of 3 years to reach the holy grail of the Premiership

I doubt we have any serious investors looking at us when Bolton and Wolves are on the market.

I personally think ignoring what is and isn't available with the purchase (due to Brassbank etc) that OAFC could be a decent football club to buy...here is my reason why:

- we still have a large number of 'followers' from the glory days and therefore have a bigger opportunity to recruit fans back than many lower league clubs. I grant that as time goes on this will get less and less a factor.

- Oldham is a strong northern working class town where the population will get behind a successful team dissproportinately compared to other towns. Football is a strong factor in Lancashire history. The proof for me in this is our strong away followings as an example. Football to an individual of a town like Oldham will be higher in their list of priorities than your average person.

- Whilst many people see Man Utd and Man City as the biggest enemies to us attracting fans, I see it differently. These big clubs keep Football constantly in the mind of the local public. It makes us engage with football more so than many regions and is in my mind also an opportunity for us to offer fans looking for something different than the big shiny clubs, if we got our positioning right. I think a nostalgic family club has a great opportunity to appeal to many fans disillusioned with the modern football game. We just are no where near offering those fans a reason to believe we are that option.

The major problem going against us though unfortunately is an investor will be a business person (unless a fan wins the Euro Millions!) and they will be more interested in the current worth they are buying rather than potential. Therefore however Corney and Co are trying to divvy the club up is probably the biggest factor why any sale is being held back.

Edited by Blue_Guru

Norwich, Swansea, Brighton, Newcastle are obviously benefitted by essentially being in the middle of nowhere as the representative of a much larger place than their name suggests.

However, you can see it two ways. There's an awful lot of people within a close vicinity of Oldham, so if Latics became good there'd be a big market to tap into. It wouldn't just be fans from Oldham either. You'd be getting fans from Rochdale, Tameside, Glossop etc.

Gone are the days when a supporter is firmly loyal to their heritage. If we had a great atmosphere and provided a genuine alternative to Premier League football there'd be loads of young people coming to matches.

Edited by NewBlue

Please elaborate on that comment which I find pretty ridiculous

We don't have any CCJs or high court writs issued against us at the moment unlike others in this division. If people weren't privy to recent events such as the wages not being paid on time, they might be inclined to think that we're steady enough.

Please elaborate on that comment which I find pretty ridiculous

We only owe money to TTA, Mr. Blitz has said he will only ever call that debt in if we get back to the Premier League, ie never.

TTA own the OEC business and have invested large sums of money into the North Stand. The only way they will see a return on this is if the OEC is a success. The OEC will not be a success if there is no football club at BP.

The football club is now self sustaining, the accounts show that a small profit has been made in the last two seasons (this may now change though if money from the football club has been used for the North Stand). We don't owe HMRC anything, which is the usual reason clubs go into administration and the most serious debt a business can have. So How does putting the football club into administration help any of the parties concerned? Why would a solvent business that has just invested in its infrastructure and created a whole new revenue stream go into administration? It doesn't make sense.

I really can't say much more, let's just say there is a reason why the new stand isn't owned by Oldham Athletic Football Club and you can't try to sell a club that is legally in administration. Legally being the key word. From my understanding the club isn't solvent its been made to look like it is. I've already said to much.

Edited by oafc1000

We also have a large population in the borough >200k people.

Currently the town is also receiving significant investment and improvement in its leisure facilities, with the trams, old town hall and shopping facilities. All of which suggests a town growing and on an upward trajectory working hard to attract further businesses with its large population as an available workforce.

I think petelatics has some little known knowledge that has been leaked from inside the club. And I believe he is right on the money. We are not legally in admin yet, watch this space.

Its one of several rumours doing the rounds, it could have some legs as any potential investor would start with a clean slate, if it looks likely we are going to be relegated the application for this has to be in by the fourth Thursday in March for the points deduction to be triggered for this season, otherwise its carried over to next so if there is any legs in this SC has a couple of months to implement it.

We are not a small town in Lancashire. Some people really need to wake up to reality. De-industrialisation has been and gone. Fact of historical process. We are an integral part of Britain's second biggest/most important conurbation. Also fact of a very long historical and political/economic process.

This is both a positive and negative, from a football viewpoint. We could re-ignite our 10,000 core support if we found investment etc, but we can also draw-in City and United fans who might only go to home matches, or occasional matches. Fans come from the entire borough, Tameside, north and east Manchester.

Actually, this is what happened in the late 1980s and early 1990s. We became everyone's second favourite club. We've never had an especially large support, certainly not in recent times (i.e. since the 1970s).

Its one of several rumours doing the rounds, it could have some legs as any potential investor would start with a clean slate, if it looks likely we are going to be relegated the application for this has to be in by the fourth Thursday in March for the points deduction to be triggered for this season, otherwise its carried over to next so if there is any legs in this SC has a couple of months to implement it.

Interesting dilemma for Corney if true,

This may explain why better players are being released/sold. With any points deduction we are destined for the drop so he could be cashing in on any final assets. Philliskirk and Wellens both close to the club may have known insights to a relegation and would t want that on their cv. Plus any equity they currently have would drop being a league 2 player.

If we had a new backer would people be able to accept relegation more or less than as we are today?

Edited by Blue_Guru

This may explain why better players are being released/sold. With any points deduction we are destined for the drop so he could be cashing in on any final assets.

If we had a new backer would people be able to accept relegation more or less than as we are today?

We've sold one player.

Granted...but presumably a low wage offer for Wellens is cashing in on a weekly wage...runours of Kelly and Poleon being up for sale...I'm pretty sure they haven't finished yet.

Giving a 35yo a 18 month contract when we don't know what league we will be in was never really an option.

This may explain why better players are being released/sold. With any points deduction we are destined for the drop so he could be cashing in on any final assets. Philliskirk and Wellens both close to the club may have known insights to a relegation and would t want that on their cv. Plus any equity they currently have would drop being a league 2 player.

The most saleable,Liam Kelly, is still here though (as I write this).

We only owe money to Blitz/Gazal who said it'll only be called in if reach premier league (probably earned some back from the land, may change their if corney leaves).

We don't owe hmrc any money (local press would be all over it if we did).

We've just built a £6m stand, and the OEC would earn far less without a club there.

We know our wage budget is in line with League ones version of financial fair play - is it around 60-65% of turnover on wages? If we wasn't we would be under a transfer embargo (including loans).

Wages have been a couple of days late - granted that isn't good. However they got paid one or two days late, apparently without any loan to the club from the PFA(?).

We've sold one player, and let Yeates leave early to go to a club offering him a longer deal than us. We haven't sold anyone for the previous two windows. Perhaps Corney has said if half the squad needs changing now, you need to sell some to change it. Understandable as we have a relatively large squad.

What reason is there to go in administration? It'd make no sense for TTA to put us in admin. They'd piss away whatever we owe them and be left with a business that won't be as profitable without the club.