It's John Sheridan

Has a club every been fined for tapping up a manager? I can't find one, albeit a brief check. AShley Cole was the big one, 300k I think but Everton got fined £45k for a player tap up. But we are L1 and its the manager. Not much more than a slap on the wrist I think.

That pic emerged at 17.39,with a MENOAFC tweet but we had officially approached at 17:40.

I joked yesterday, but it could well have been a pic of Simon Coney on the phone to their Chairman.

Shez is still local, stated in interviews) but does anyone know where? But its not far. So not far to travel.

Obviously, Shez, Simon Corney and Anthony Gee were just undertaking a bit of mystery shopping in Tesco's first, and discussing the benefits of buying Finest over Value.... And the Newport County clock was 5 mins fast....

Edited by singe

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't blame me. Not my fault. I didn't actually get the job.

Wow, that said, you've not been for a years if that was the start.

Also, if you love John then you must totally worship Joe. He actually did incredible things. You really can't compare. I'm very happy with the appointment, but people who even try to put Joe down are talking through their arses. That little spell was totally meaningless in the context of what he did. Were you there? Seriously?

Erm I don't disagree... and yes I was there...

It wasn't an enjoyable 9 games.. The first was fantastic and then it quickly got quite depressing...

But I think I have come across wrong. I love Joe!

I stopped going in 2010.... I just had enough of the board and realised we wouldn't go anywhere under them. I haven't been proven wrong have I. I knew they had thrown a way a fantastic chance of going up and I just couldn't stomach it any more. I really started to lose the faith at that point. Of course that wasn't the only thing but it was the start of me seriously questioning if I wanted to keep going.

Edited by oafc0000

You've gone from stupid as :censored: to boring as :censored:. I forgot to mention what a prick oafc0000 is too. The man with a list longer than :censored:ing santa's full of bull:censored: reasons why he doesn't go.

Nothing wins an argument like personal insults... Good form old boy :)

Edited by oafc0000

I won't even consider coming back until we have new owners. Resigning Sheridan is only another example to me that they never had a clue in the first place. Sacking him was one of the most bitter things I experienced watching Latics. We threw away our second best chance of promotion we had in League one (maybe third)....

I agree with you about the timing of sacking Shez first time around. The team was coming off the rails and the chemistry in the dressing room clearly wasn't right, but I still feel that Shez could've patched things together enough to keep us going until the end of the season. As much as it was great to see Joe managing us in my lifetime, the decision to loan out Hughes and start rebuilding the squad when we were 4 points off the playoffs with 7 games to go was very poor. I'd rather have risked the squad crashing and burning under Shez than giving up all hope as we did under Joe very soon after he took over. I felt that even before the Penney season unfolded.

As for the board, though their decisions in 2015 were consistently terrible, they've got this appointment spot on by making a decision that makes it very likely that the next 12 months are going to be significantly better than the previous 12. After today's interview I believe Corney when he says that the mistakes were honest. While that doesn't excuse how bad those mistakes were, his awareness of the scale of them and re-hiring Shez gives me hope that he still has the desire to learn from them to improve the club.

You've gone from stupid as :censored: to boring as :censored:. I forgot to mention what a prick oafc0000 is too. The man with a list longer than :censored:ing santa's full of bull:censored: reasons why he doesn't go.

I thought you'd decided to ignore me. Please feel free to do so.

And when you lot all turn against him in three months again... Should I stay positive or grab a pitch fork ?? :)

Pitchfork in three months is fine but I'll be giving him a year from now minimum. Drop or otherwise.

He's seven years more experienced than last time and last time we had good times.

I agree with you about the timing of sacking Shez first time around. The team was coming off the rails and the chemistry in the dressing room clearly wasn't right, but I still feel that Shez could've patched things together enough to keep us going until the end of the season. As much as it was great to see Joe managing us in my lifetime, the decision to loan out Hughes and start rebuilding the squad when we were 4 points off the playoffs with 7 games to go was very poor. I'd rather have risked the squad crashing and burning under Shez than giving up all hope as we did under Joe very soon after he took over. I felt that even before the Penney season unfolded.

As for the board, though their decisions in 2015 were consistently terrible, they've got this appointment spot on by making a decision that makes it very likely that the next 12 months are going to be significantly better than the previous 12. After today's interview I believe Corney when he says that the mistakes were honest. While that doesn't excuse how bad those mistakes were, his awareness of the scale of them and re-hiring Shez gives me hope that he still has the desire to learn from them to improve the club.

That's not how you felt at the time though, and I'm not having a pop, I agree with the post you commented on one hundred per cent. It's amazing, or maybe not, how many people that wanted him out last time, and they must have wanted him out a lot cos they called him all sorts, have posted on here saying how delighted they are that he's back.

No shame some people.

the_mighty_bosh

Rick Holden

• photo-thumb-853.jpg?_r=1376532277
  • OWTB Member
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Harry Dowds Green Shirt @ Mar 15 2009, 14:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Despite recent results and performances, today is a very sad day for me.

I know there has been a clamour over the last week or so and I had my own say last weekend, but I do have a lot of sympathy and time for the man.

I think this is the right decision for all concerned and at least, as I said last week, it gives the new man 9 games to try to turn things round and try to get us back into the playoffs.

Thanks John for all your efforts. Your time here as a player will not be forgotten especially when you came out of retirement in our hour of need despite your knee condition. Your work with the youngsters has seen several good products progress to the youth team and when you took over, you gave us our club back. It may have soured in recent months, with fans calling for you to go, but hopefully you will draw on the experience of the last 3 years and come back to the game again. I hope you do.

And Finally, I am sure when everyone has had time to reflect and a little water has passed under the bridge, you will be warmly welcomed back at BP on match days to receive the applause that your time with us richly deserves.

Once again, I thank you and good luck.

Cheers,

Harry

I echo those sentiments.

"It would be nice sometimes if it were a little bit more mundane, but it wouldn't be Oldham." - Joe Royle

Not all though.

Budtz or Coleman?

Hines or Dieng/Wilson?

Jones or Lafferty/Mills?

Smalley or Forte?

Maher and Allott or Kelly and Jones?

Kabba or Cassidy/Murphy?

I can't answer that as I don't go... All I can see is a team sat in the relegation zone vs a team which at one point was looking for automatic promotion....

Edited by oafc0000

I can't answer that as I don't go... All I can see is a team sat in the relegation zone vs a team which at one point was looking for automatic promotion....

Johnson had most of them just outside the play-offs aswell last season.

Goes to show what a decent manager can do...

That's not how you felt at the time though, and I'm not having a pop, I agree with the post you commented on one hundred per cent. It's amazing, or maybe not, how many people that wanted him out last time, and they must have wanted him out a lot cos they called him all sorts, have posted on here saying how delighted they are that he's back.

<snip>

Why do people suddenly want to paint a different picture than the one they originally painted? I mean hindsight is a wonderful thing and I can accept someone admitting they was wrong.... but do pretend you didn't want him out the door ? lol

I remember as much as I was angry at him being let go I had come to realise that it inevitable given the pressure from the fan base for him to go, he was going to go. Now the same fans who applied that pressure are painting a picture where they didn't ?

Its as funny as it is weird...

I just wonder what people think would have changed... Its the same John Sheridan... I think its a bit optimistic to think his management style has changed all that much.

I bet in three months we are talking about the apparent lack of discipline etc again and how he is too close to the players... again... :)

Edited by oafc0000

I just wonder what people think would have changed... Its the same John Sheridan... I think its a bit optimistic to think his management style has changed all that much.

I bet in three months we are talking about the apparent lack of discipline etc again and how he is too close to the players... again... :)

It's a better experienced John Sheridan.

He's won a league title, won a cup competition, and also been relegated from this league. As well as leading Plymouth into the play off's and losing out.

His experiences will have changed him as a manager and he'll most likely be different in some ways to what he was last time.

If you can't get excited for the return of a club legend, especially considering the :censored: 2015 we had, then what can you get excited for?

It's a better experienced John Sheridan.

He's won a league title, won a cup competition, and also been relegated from this league. As well as leading Plymouth into the play off's and losing out.

His experiences will have changed him as a manager and he'll most likely be different in some ways to what he was last time.

If you can't get excited for the return of a club legend, especially considering the :censored: 2015 we had, then what can you get excited for?

I think the main thing he has going for him this time is he doesn't have a certain Mr Hughes to deal with. How anyone could manage him is beyond me.

I'm not overjoyed going back to Shez but I'd much rather have him in place than the last two managers, so not disappointed either.

Last time I think it was right for him to go, because he had a very talented squad at his disposal that he didn't seem to want to use. Many players he signed and never played went on to play at a higher level than we have achieved since. I'm not really sure what the problem was in his final season. Expectations were different back then, we still had a board that was backing the manager to have a go at getting out of the division. Maybe Hughes was a massive problem and a mistake to bring into the club as mentioned above, so it could possibly work out better this time.

This time expectations are zero. I just hope he doesn't shoulder the blame if he doesn't turn things around. I don't think that would be fair.