It's John Sheridan

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tapped their manager up, their not going to be jumping for joy.

Contradiction here...

Corney in the M.E.N,

I would also like to take this opportunity to add my thanks to Newport County who have dealt with this situation in a professional manner.

Can the club please hurry up and confirm the worst kept secret already?

I need to get some sleep and return to my Tarky windfall, Kristian Dennis, defender that isn't Mvoto dream

FFS Burnley, Hurry up. I am sick of having to change my sheets every morning

Edit: Welcome home Shez!

Edited by L1onheartNew

Contradiction here...

Corney in the M.E.N,

I would also like to take this opportunity to add my thanks to Newport County who have dealt with this situation in a professional manner.

Well, we would say that, wouldn't we.

Have you seen Newport County statement? They are considering their position and called us unprofessional. The photo appeared before our official approach.

Although I have it in good authority they were discussing whether a latte or a cappuccino was the best.

Edited by singe

Who wasn't his signing I think we can be sure - first time we let Barry dip in to the transfer market

Barry told Shez who he could sign? Bull:censored:. Shez signed him. Difference was it was not as controversial, and Shez did not go bleating about it being up to the Board. Barry was the negotiater then, and did not have the power he does now. The Board then made the decision to replicate it, with less success since.

With Shez on board, there is a chance we will continue to try the ex-lag policy unfortunately.

Edited by singe

Barry told Shez who he could sign? Bull:censored:. Shez signed him. Difference was it was not as controversial, and Shez did not go bleating about it being up to the Board. Barry was the negotiater then, and did not have the power he does now. The Board then made the decision to replicate it, with less success since.

With Shez on board, their is a chance we will continue to try the ex-lag policy unfortunately.

None of us really know but I never felt Shez had total say.... As much as Barry didn't have power, neither did Shez given it was his first job in management etc.

I just wonder what people think would have changed... Its the same John Sheridan... I think its a bit optimistic to think his management style has changed all that much.

I bet in three months we are talking about the apparent lack of discipline etc again and how he is too close to the players... again... :)

Aren't you comparing 2 different situations? Back then the target and expectation was promotion. We were in the play offs the season before and were expecting that at least. Form had dipped and talk of issues with the players so many felt a new manager would be the boost needed to get back in the hunt for automatic.

Now he's got more experience - promotion, relegation (to learn from), cup win. Plus experience of getting teams out of relegation zones. So he is arguably a better manager.

Plus our expectations have lowered. For most realists, a play off push is probably something for the season after next.

So hardly fair to say that those who agreed with his previous sacking who are now happy with his return are hypocrites.

Aren't you comparing 2 different situations? Back then the target and expectation was promotion. We were in the play offs the season before and were expecting that at least. Form had dipped and talk of issues with the players so many felt a new manager would be the boost needed to get back in the hunt for automatic.

Now he's got more experience - promotion, relegation (to learn from), cup win. Plus experience of getting teams out of relegation zones. So he is arguably a better manager.

Plus our expectations have lowered. For most realists, a play off push is probably something for the season after next.

So hardly fair to say that those who agreed with his previous sacking who are now happy with his return are hypocrites.

Spot on, and very realistic.

I think your 3rd paragraph is dependent on what division we are in next year. If it's League 2 there damn well better be one next season.

Why do people suddenly want to paint a different picture than the one they originally painted? I mean hindsight is a wonderful thing and I can accept someone admitting they was wrong.... but do pretend you didn't want him out the door ? lol

I remember as much as I was angry at him being let go I had come to realise that it inevitable given the pressure from the fan base for him to go, he was going to go. Now the same fans who applied that pressure are painting a picture where they didn't ?

Its as funny as it is weird...

You didn't seem that angry looking back on the 2009 thread that's been posted...

You didn't seem that angry looking back on the 2009 thread that's been posted...

It had been on the card for weeks. Totally resigned to it by that point. The vast majority on this board wanted him gone. I had pointed out my dislike on lots of threads at the time. Hit search if you want.

Edited by oafc0000

It had been on the card for weeks. Totally resigned to it by that point. The vast majority on this board wanted him gone. I had pointed out my dislike on lots of threads at the time. Hit search if you want.

I was no different (post in the same thread backs that up). I don't remember the vast majority wanting him sacked.

And when you lot all turn against him in three months again... Should I stay positive or grab a pitch fork ?? :)

Staying positive would involve adopting a positive position in the first place, rather than repeatedly making clear your disdain for other Latics fans.

Whilst I really shouldn't get drawn into this debate, oafc0000, the thing with John Sheridan is this. When it came to the end of his tenure the first time around, he'd found himself in a rut. Things were falling apart on and off the pitch. To a great extent I think Shez was just pretty unfortunate and there was certainly a debate to be had as to whether he should have at least been given the chance to see out the season or whether the club moved quicklly to try and bring about a change in fortunes to get us back into the playoff spots. On that basis, I thought it was the probably the right decision to sack him. The Board, however, seemed to give Joe the remit of stripping down the squad, rather than going all out for promotion and, with hindsight, sacking Sheridan at that point wasn't the right move.

In the current context Sheridan is an appointment to get excited about because, all told, he did a very decent job last time; he's done well at various clubs since, he has an affiliation with Latics and is already a hero (which will hopefully buy him the patience of the fans); and he's a massive improvement on the recent trend of appointing absolute nobodies, gambling that they might turn out to be a capable manager.

Staying positive would involve adopting a positive position in the first place, rather than repeatedly making clear your disdain for other Latics fans.

Bit of crying wolf here. Their utter disdain for me is clear as well...

I am not positive at the moment and I haven't been for the last five years and the way things are going I don't think I will be for the next five.

Edited by oafc0000

Whilst I really shouldn't get drawn into this debate, oafc0000, the thing with John Sheridan is this. When it came to the end of his tenure the first time around, he'd found himself in a rut. Things were falling apart on and off the pitch. To a great extent I think Shez was just pretty unfortunate and there was certainly a debate to be had as to whether he should have at least been given the chance to see out the season or whether the club moved quicklly to try and bring about a change in fortunes to get us back into the playoff spots. On that basis, I thought it was the probably the right decision to sack him. The Board, however, seemed to give Joe the remit of stripping down the squad, rather than going all out for promotion and, with hindsight, sacking Sheridan at that point wasn't the right move.

In the current context Sheridan is an appointment to get excited about because, all told, he did a very decent job last time; he's done well at various clubs since, he has an affiliation with Latics and is already a hero (which will hopefully buy him the patience of the fans); and he's a massive improvement on the recent trend of appointing absolute nobodies, gambling that they might turn out to be a capable manager.

I think Shez is a good choice.... Its the original sacking of him that drives me nuts...

Just let it go, you shouldn't let something that happened so long ago still make you feel like that. Far more important things in life.

I did let it go... I know there are more important things in life...

These are only comments on a messageboard...

Edited by oafc0000

People who hark back and fester are, generally, not capable of moving on.

We will never know how we would have fared if Shez had stayed. We may never know the full facts behind the scenes at BP 7yrs ago but results 'had' been effected.

Quite a few people need to drone on about Corney's failures without any credible alternative being put forward. But he has shown once again that he has no stomach for relegation. In 2009 he thought a chance of promotion was slipping away.

We are all going down our one and only road in life. If you want to change direction its imperative you look forward.

That's not how you felt at the time though, and I'm not having a pop, I agree with the post you commented on one hundred per cent. It's amazing, or maybe not, how many people that wanted him out last time, and they must have wanted him out a lot cos they called him all sorts, have posted on here saying how delighted they are that he's back.

No shame some people.

the_mighty_bosh

Rick Holden

• photo-thumb-853.jpg?_r=1376532277
  • OWTB Member
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Harry Dowds Green Shirt @ Mar 15 2009, 14:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Despite recent results and performances, today is a very sad day for me.

I know there has been a clamour over the last week or so and I had my own say last weekend, but I do have a lot of sympathy and time for the man.I think this is the right decision for all concerned and at least, as I said last week, it gives the new man 9 games to try to turn things round and try to get us back into the playoffs.

Thanks John for all your efforts. Your time here as a player will not be forgotten especially when you came out of retirement in our hour of need despite your knee condition. Your work with the youngsters has seen several good products progress to the youth team and when you took over, you gave us our club back. It may have soured in recent months, with fans calling for you to go, but hopefully you will draw on the experience of the last 3 years and come back to the game again. I hope you do.

And Finally, I am sure when everyone has had time to reflect and a little water has passed under the bridge, you will be warmly welcomed back at BP on match days to receive the applause that your time with us richly deserves.

Once again, I thank you and good luck.

Cheers,

Harry

I echo those sentiments.

"It would be nice sometimes if it were a little bit more mundane, but it wouldn't be Oldham." - Joe Royle

I think Stevie's post later on in this thread sums up my thoughts. I think on balance it was the right call to change manager with 9 games to go, but on the condition that the next manager gave it a go. Sadly Joe didn't do that so I'd have rather we gave Shez the rest of the season to try to make the playoffs, regardless of whether we succeeded or failed. One of the few predictions that I've ever got right was that after Joe started "rebuilding" the squad, we had wasted our best chance at promotion for a good 5 years.

While I can't argue that I agreed with all of Harry Dowd's post (I was probably too lazy at the time to write my own essay so I agreed with the post that best fit my feelings), the main thing I agreed with was the sentiment. Mainly that it was a very sad day, having a lot of time and sympathy for the man and thanking him and wishing him luck. I can guarantee that I never "wanted him out" or "called him all sorts". Shez was my favourite player growing up and one of the main reasons I got hooked on Latics, which is why I'd always be happy if he was in charge even if had a terrible managerial record.