It's John Sheridan

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comment by Matt Chambers in today's Chron:

"Athletic turned to Sheridan after exploring options including former Brentford interim manager Lee Carsley and another former manager, Iain Dowie. Dowie’s contractual requirements were out of the club’s financial reach."

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/96121/sheridan-on-rescue-mission

Can we finally get over Dowie...

It's been years; his heart clearly isn't in management any longer, he wants more money than we have, and even if we did get the money there are better options out there.

Sheridan makes sense, even if he wasn't associated with Latics in the past; Dowie is pure nostalgia.

Interesting comment by Matt Chambers in today's Chron:

"Athletic turned to Sheridan after exploring options including former Brentford interim manager Lee Carsley and another former manager, Iain Dowie. Dowie’s contractual requirements were out of the club’s financial reach."

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/96121/sheridan-on-rescue-mission

Presumably, every time we get rid of a manager, we have the customary call to Dowie.

"Hi Iain it's Simon, this latest one turned out to be :censored: too. Do you fancy doing it for fifty quid a week? I know that last time you told us you wanted a shed load of cash and a decent budget, but you don't seem to have done much since so I thought you might be getting desperate"

For some inexplicable reason I don't remember his previous time as manager fondly, but when you look at where he kept the club (with the players he had) and read things like this old thread about his sacking I think I need to give him a bit more credit. No idea if he can make enough of a difference this season, but I'll take just about anything to get out of this rut the club's in.

For some inexplicable reason I don't remember his previous time as manager fondly, but when you look at where he kept the club (with the players he had) and read things like this old thread about his sacking I think I need to give him a bit more credit. No idea if he can make enough of a difference this season, but I'll take just about anything to get out of this rut the club's in.

Interesting reading that back the general consensus including my own feelings at the time were that the wheels had come off and he had to go.

Another common theme at the time was that he didn't learn from his mistakes well it's been 7 years let's see if he has.

Interesting reading that back the general consensus including my own feelings at the time were that the wheels had come off and he had to go.

Another common theme at the time was that he didn't learn from his mistakes well it's been 7 years let's see if he has.

tbf 'the wheels have fallen off' is a common theme at this club every 3 years. its doesnt matter who is in charge...

Can't believe there are weirdos who think this is a bad appointment.

Even if I'd never heard of him before, looking at his track record and our track record, I'd be reasonably happy. Not to mention he is a club legend on top of that...

Edited by NewBlue

Can't believe there are weirdos who think this is a bad appointment.

Even if I'd never heard of him before, looking at his track record and our track record, I'd be reasonably happy. Not to mention he is a club legend on top of that...

So was Ritchie.

Edited by Hank Kingsley

So was Ritchie.

Ritchie did very well here, kept us up when we were probably further up :censored: creek financially than we are now and then when Chris Moores money arrived he was top of the table when he got sacked.

Then he went on to get Barnsely promoted whilst simultaneously ending our playoff hopes smashing us 3-0 at Boundary Park.

Had he not been out of the game so long now Id say he would be a good choice again

A constant of those not happy with a Shez is an inability to say who they think would be willing and able in role.

For latics at 22nd in table this is as good as it gets. Agree Dowie has burned his bridges and "£" hungry. Needs experience and in hindsight it was a shame he left previously after doggate.

No approach was even made for Ian Dowie!

Confirmed by his son:

@Matt_Chambers_ This is simply not true and there was no contact whatsoever between Corney and my dad #oafc

Will Dowie ‏@WillDowie

Iain is delighted about John getting the job, a good friend of ours, and hopefully he will get the club back to where it belongs #oafc

Directors met with him before Johnson was appointed. It was clear that Latics wouldn't be able to compete with his Sky income or his playing budget aspirations.

Well, that's what a director told a group of fans anyway.

If he'd have been prepared to do it on a shoestring he'd have got the gig.

Quite funny looking at that thread, I gave Shez's successor one and a half seasons, Penney didn't even get that. And I even got my 'joke' in about about sacking the new manager Mr X before they had even been appointed, I've been doing that same gap since 2009! That's six years and umpteen managers ago.