• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know why people are getting bogged down in the fact that Palme

r has come from Burton. They have nearly three times as many points as us this season and look certain to be playing at least one division higher than us next season, so it kind of goes without saying that their players are better than ours.

Don't know why people are getting bogged down in the fact that Palmer has come from Burton. They have nearly three times as many points as us this season and look certain to be playing at least one division higher than us next season, so it kind of goes without saying that their players are better than ours.

I think the point is that tomorrow Burton will name 18 players for a game in our league....palmer therefore is at least 20th choice for a team who most on here described as poor and lucky when winning at BP.......you can't have it both ways

I think the point is that tomorrow Burton will name 18 players for a game in our league....palmer therefore is at least 20th choice for a team who most on here described as poor and lucky when winning at BP.......you can't have it both ways

I'm not trying to have it both ways. People can say they were poor and lucky all they like but they're top of the league as we head towards the business end of the season. That's not luck.

Speak for yourself about the poor lucky tag given to Burton. I thought they were more organised and worked much harder than we did in that game. They are at the top for a reason although I reserve the right to be sceptical about us signing a young player in an area where we are comparitively strong. I hope my doubts are proved wrong.

Speak for yourself about the poor lucky tag given to Burton. I thought they were more organised and worked much harder than we did in that game. They are at the top for a reason although I reserve the right to be sceptical about us signing a young player in an area where we are comparitively strong. I hope my doubts are proved wrong.

I am not saying they were poor or lucky....I am just highlighting how many denigrated them then( not Stevie J ) btw but now want to praise them to somehow justify the signing on a months loan of a player who has not played a full 90 minutes all season and is at best 20th choice for a team in our league....just saying!

'An area where we are comparatively strong' We have played a striker in midfield most of the season-It is midfield where we need serious improvement.

(NB Together with a big strong centre half)

All this rubbish about our strikers being poor-they dont get any service! Get some crosses in and play through balls and lets see how they do then!

The defence will also look better the more we play in the opposition half

Edited by ChaddySmoker

I am not saying they were poor or lucky....I am just highlighting how many denigrated them then( not Stevie J ) btw but now want to praise them to somehow justify the signing on a months loan of a player who has not played a full 90 minutes all season and is at best 20th choice for a team in our league....just saying!

Fair enough

I think the big difference between Burton and ourselves isn't the talent of our respected squads, more to do with how much better managed they are not just as a team but as a club compared to us.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Burton werent poor and lucky-Its just that we were :censored:e

Don't mean to sound prickly or arrogant, but there's some ropy logic in there. He's not 20th choice; I'd guess he's 3rd-6th choice in his position (central midfield). They're not going to be playing a reserve goalkeeper ahead of him. Plus, while it's not a great sign, not playing is not a nailed-on indicator of poor quality: he might not fit the current tactics or style or complement teammates' abilities. And of course if he was higher up in the pecking order he wouldn't be amenable to moving to a club further down the league, I suspect.

If we are serious about staying up this season...we shouldn't be looking any:censored:ingwhere near a kid like this...he's played 9 league games all season so folk making it out that he's a big part of the side that's put Burton top of the league is nonsense (plus he lost in 3 of those 9 games)!

Go back a couple of years when we were mildly in the :censored:. We signed Harkins and Lockwood and it prepelled us to safety. Compare and contrast...and if you want to talk pennies I'll repeat...DP SOLD, Tarky on verge of being sold, new stand supposedly putting us in the higher rungs of budgets in this division (Corneys words)...Sports Direct £200,000 for 5 years etc. It's bollocks that we are THIS hand to mouth. I had thought monies were being held back from Kelly and Dunn as Corney had lost faith in them bringing in players. If it carries on with Shez...then it's obvious that he's happy to watch us go down.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Don't disagree with needing more quality in the side (if recruitment stops with Palmer we're in a very very worrying place) but you're getting the benefit of hindsight there. I don't remember many being pleased with Lockwood's signing (6 games for Guiseley that season) and Harkins hadn't been setting the world alight at St Mirren (and was a loan signing too). I'm not saying we should relax and be happy with our lot, but to write off Shez's first signing as a disaster before he's kicked a ball and when we should expect more in seems a bit of an overreaction.

If we are serious about staying up this season...we shouldn't be looking any:censored:ingwhere near a kid like this...he's played 9 league games all season so folk making it out that he's a big part of the side that's put Burton top of the league is nonsense (plus he lost in 3 of those 9 games)!

Go back a couple of years when we were mildly in the :censored:. We signed Harkins and Lockwood and it prepelled us to safety. Compare and contrast...and if you want to talk pennies I'll repeat...DP SOLD, Tarky on verge of being sold, new stand supposedly putting us in the higher rungs of budgets in this division (Corneys words)...Sports Direct £200,000 for 5 years etc. It's bollocks that we are THIS hand to mouth. I had thought monies were being held back from Kelly and Dunn as Corney had lost faith in them bringing in players. If it carries on with Shez...then it's obvious that he's happy to watch us go down.

He was a big part of the team that got them promoted last season.

People were :censored:ing outraged when we signed Lockwood.

The Tarky money's not real until he's sold.

The bit about the stand is bollocks - :censored: all will go anywhere near the club.

The Sports Direct deal is not worth anything like £200k/year.

Don't disagree with needing more quality in the side (if recruitment stops with Palmer we're in a very very worrying place) but you're getting the benefit of hindsight there. I don't remember many being pleased with Lockwood's signing (6 games for Guiseley that season) and Harkins hadn't been setting the world alight at St Mirren (and was a loan signing too). I'm not saying we should relax and be happy with our lot, but to write off Shez's first signing as a disaster before he's kicked a ball and when we should expect more in seems a bit of an overreaction.

Not a single person is claiming Palmer as the disaster. A lot are completely missing the point. It's the club mentality of a 1 month youth loan to fix a massive problem that's the disaster.

Not a single person is claiming Palmer as the disaster. A lot are completely missing the point. It's the club mentality of a 1 month youth loan to fix a massive problem that's the disaster.

If that was the only signing I'd agree, but there's another week to go and other signings should be made.

He was a big part of the team that got them promoted last season - So a changing tale now...it was "he has got them top of League One" now it's he's got them out of League Two - He might be decent...he's here for 1 month...he is not the answer!

People were :censored:ing outraged when we signed Lockwood.

The Tarky money's not real until he's sold.

The bit about the stand is bollocks - :censored: all will go anywhere near the club.

The Sports Direct deal is not worth anything like £200k/year.

He was a big part of the team that got them promoted last season - So a changing tale now...it was "he has got them top of League One" now it's he's got them out of League Two - He might be decent...he's here for 1 month...that is the real issue here (other than us painfully needing a CB)!

People were :censored:ing outraged when we signed Lockwood. - Some people will be outraged at anything. Lockwood had the experience we cried out for...and do again now. I certainly wasn't outraged.

The Tarky money's not real until he's sold - True, but it looks almost a done deal. And in our situation right now, we have to spend to save our arses.

The bit about the stand is bollocks - :censored: all will go anywhere near the club - That is nothing I haven't said myself since day one. It is what Corney has told folk though (who think the sun shines out of his orifice)

The Sports Direct deal is not worth anything like £200k/year. - £1m over 5years tells me that mathematically it is.

Edited by boundaryblue80

If that was the only signing I'd agree, but there's another week to go and other signings should be made.

Correct. As I said earlier...

Of course, we might get 2 or 3 more players next week and there be some promise in them...but after hearing the line "waiting for the right man" all week it sticks in the throat that we've got a kid off Burton to throw in. No matter how you want to paint it.

I'm not holding much hope of these signings being any more than what we've witnessed today. Short term and/or young gambles. Just have to see. But we have games on our side and the more we :censored: about and try doing it as cheap as possible the nearer the door we slide.

Absolutely right.... but at the risk of sounding negative (again), it's probably all we can afford.

There is no way we will have only signed Palmer by the end of January.

And no way will we have only had 1 month loans, youth or not by then.

People amaze me, Shez has been here barely a week, it takes time to get quality signings.

Some seem to have wanted half a new team by tommorow.

But Palmer is not the fix. Has Shez been told he can only have Palmer. No. Corney said himself 3 or 4.

Palmer does look to solve a bit of an issue of turning the ball back to attack, rather than being carved threough, and getting the ball back into the oppostion half. He can hit the ground running.

He's just a piece of the jigsaw.

Who knows what obstacles weare encountering to sign.

I think it wrong to make the immediate assumption though, that Simon Corney is simply holding onto the purse strings. Kelly and Dunn may have not managed to negotiate signings for different reasons, but I credit Shez that he can and will get some of the players he wants.

If it was all about cutting our cloth ready for League 2, then Dunn would still be here now.

He was a big part of the team that got them promoted last season - So a changing tale now...it was "he has got them top of League One" now it's he's got them out of League Two - He might be decent...he's here for 1 month...that is the real issue here (other than us painfully needing a CB)!

People were :censored:ing outraged when we signed Lockwood. - Some people will be outraged at anything. Lockwood had the experience we cried out for...and do again now. I certainly wasn't outraged.

The Tarky money's not real until he's sold - True, but it looks almost a done deal. And in our situation right now, we have to spend to save our arses.

The bit about the stand is bollocks - :censored: all will go anywhere near the club - That is nothing I haven't said myself since day one. It is what Corney has told folk though (who think the sun shines out of his orifice)

The Sports Direct deal is not worth anything like £200k/year. - £1m over 5years tells me that mathematically it is.

Can I just clarify something, are you actually saying we spend the Tarky money before he has been sold?

That's madness.

Upto £1m.

So upto £200k.

So higher than £0.

Anyway, self evidently a substantial amount of that went toward the stand, which will start reaping a reward in a years time.

Don't we lost £75k a year anyway.

I've said it before, and l'll repeat it again - the problem is the elephant in the room, called the new stand. We continue to spend money on the new stand with the promise of " jam tomorrow ", whilst sitting back and watching the slide towards a lower division.

I've said it before, and l'll repeat it again - the problem is the elephant in the room, called the new stand. We continue to spend money on the new stand with the promise of " jam tomorrow ", whilst sitting back and watching the slide towards a lower division.

Why go to the trouble of building a new stand, outfitted with seats and boxes designed for football matches, with fixtures and fittings for a football club, if the owners want the club to fail?

They would have been better off building Elk Mill style retail units. The new stand is 75% useless without the football club. Money from it will go to OAFC. Without a doubt.