Worrying ? Hardly. Still ten days left, new manager working on targets....would you prefer random signings just to accumulate numbers?

I'd have liked to have a centre back in but have to put confidence in Sheridan to get someone in whom he rates.

Anyway one of Blackpools was Philly

Quote from the Chron regarding the choice of assistant manager "Kevin Russell, the Stoke academy coach.......is the man Sheridan wants"

Clearly - the fact that he's had to settle for second or even third choice (Peter Shirtliff) illustrates the disconnect between wanting and getting when it comes down to the reality of finance. We can speculate all we like but the reality is the club cannot (or is unwilling to) compete with other clubs for players of any quality.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from the Chron regarding the choice of assistant manager "Kevin Russell, the Stoke academy coach.......is the man Sheridan wants"

Clearly - the fact that he's had to settle for second or even third choice (Peter Shirtliff) illustrates the disconnect between wanting and getting when it comes down to the reality of finance. We can speculate all we like but the reality is the club cannot (or is unwilling to) compete with other clubs for players of any quality.

When did Shirtliff become third choice ?

I think he will say you need me i don't need you, i'm just thinking out loud, does anybody really think he will sign?

Why? He's not exactly had a sparkling career he's played at this level and the one below personally I think we can do better.

95% of players we could get and will improve our team have never previously played for us.

Matty Palmer going out to another league 1 club on loan from burton who's a midfielder who likes to play it around on the deck.

He made 37 appearances last season and scored four goals. Two starts in League One, both in defeats to Walsall and Fleetwood Town.

Nigel Clough played for Forest when Shez joined. Allegedly, Shez took youth team players to the pub. Clough senior is reputed to have told him: “Young man, you’ve had a busy week – I’m going to give you a rest”. He never picked, or spoke to Shez again and sold him to Sheffield Wednesday. Shez made his debut for Wednesday at the City Ground and scored the winning goal against Forest.

He made 37 appearances last season and scored four goals. Two starts in League One, both in defeats to Walsall and Fleetwood Town.

Nigel Clough played for Forest when Shez joined. Allegedly, Shez took youth team players to the pub. Clough senior is reputed to have told him: “Young man, you’ve had a busy week – I’m going to give you a rest”. He never picked, or spoke to Shez again and sold him to Sheffield Wednesday. Shez made his debut for Wednesday at the City Ground and scored the winning goal against Forest.

I'm sure it was in Stuart Pearce's autobiography that Shez had been there a week or two when Clough asked him how the house hunting was going.

Shez replied that he would be signing for his house within the week to which Clough said don't bother and walked out...

A week later he was sold.

I'm sure it was in Stuart Pearce's autobiography that Shez had been there a week or two when Clough asked him how the house hunting was going.

Shez replied that he would be signing for his house within the week to which Clough said don't bother and walked out...

A week later he was sold.

Not Sheridan that was David Currie apparently. Although Sheridan equally didn't last long clough did that signed players then would cut his losses pretty quickly with them if they didn't fit what he wanted.

Not Sheridan that was David Currie apparently. Although Sheridan equally didn't last long clough did that signed players then would cut his losses pretty quickly with them if they didn't fit what he wanted.

Ah yes I think you may be right!

In the book I think Shez was used as another example of Clough doing just that

Alan Sheehan suppose to be signing for someone tomorrow could be the left sided player shez is looking for and Matty Palmer going out to another league 1 club on loan from burton who's a midfielder who likes to play it around on the deck

Apparently he's signed for Luton Town.

Is that our new centre back or our speedy right winger?

Neither. Its Simon Corney (the way he is holding his bell-end is a dead giveaway) in Tesco's car park trying to convince the stay-aways to return; only a matter of minutes before he met Shez in the cafe

homer-simpson_product.jpg

Edited by L1onheartNew

As I said .... We can speculate all we like....

I just hope it doesn't turn into a 'jobs for the boys scenario' because that's all the budget he's allowed.

Well you're certainly speculating ...and it seems you're doing so to paint a negative picture Edited by LaticsPete

Shez says

"can get players in, there is no danger. I could have had three or four players in today but I want to make sure they are the right ones for the way we want to play and what we are trying to do by staying in the division.

"Im not going to bring players in for the sake of bringing them in, Ive learnt from that. I understand there isnt much time but whether it happens before Saturday, I am hopeful.

I was hopeful I would have one here today and Im waiting for a phone call for another so its not for the lack of trying but its important they are the right players for us."

Shez says

"can get players in, there is no danger. I could have had three or four players in today but I want to make sure they are the right ones for the way we want to play and what we are trying to do by staying in the division.

"Im not going to bring players in for the sake of bringing them in, Ive learnt from that. I understand there isnt much time but whether it happens before Saturday, I am hopeful.

I was hopeful I would have one here today and Im waiting for a phone call for another so its not for the lack of trying but its important they are the right players for us."

I'd rather him do that than just bring in anyone, like he says no point signing people for the sake of it.

Shez says

I'd rather him do that than just bring in anyone, like he says no point signing people for the sake of it.

Completely agree. Like the way Shez says he's learned too. It's a tricky balance.

To be fair I don't think any manager ever signed anyone who wasn't the 'right fit' for the club.

I think they did. Signing players as a favour happened. Signing mates to get a player happened. Loaning players as a favour happened. Attempting to signing ex and current cons happened. So it;s not just about who signed, it's about who we tried to sign too.

NB Shez signed Lees Hughes, he could be alluding to the negatives outweighing the positives. Specualtion, obviously.

Edited by singe

I think they did. Signing players as a favour happened. Signing mates to get a player happened. Loaning players as a favour happened. Attempting to signing ex and current cons happened. So it;s not just about who signed, it's about who we tried to sign too.

NB Shez signed Lees Hughes, he could be alluding to the negatives outweighing the positives. Specualtion, obviously.

Of course, but never said in public.

Yes but as we know there are good players available, what is becoming even clearer is that we can't afford them . We will not get £1500 a week footballers for £750

Read an article a few weeks ago, was saying that a lot of the lower league loan signings these days don't involve paying the wages, more paying for digs and expenses.

Said it loads but it stuns me how bad our links with the local clubs seem to be.

Read an article a few weeks ago, was saying that a lot of the lower league loan signings these days don't involve paying the wages, more paying for digs and expenses.

Said it loads but it stuns me how bad our links with the local clubs seem to be.

I think that's a given in the modern game. Given what the kids at the big clubs get paid (note Reece Wabara abandoning his ridiculously expensive Porsche around town - a car our senior players could only dream of), how much of their wages could we really afford to pay - 10%? What do Man City care about that 10% if they can get players out on loan playing senior football?

Darragh MacAnthony (Peterboroughs owner) was talking about it on Twitter yesterday - even with their record of developing players he finds it very difficult to deal with certain clubs. To the extent they've never had loans from them.

He said Arsenal were after P'boro paying £3k a week for one of their kids recently....

Edited by HarryBosch

I think that's a given in the modern game. Given what the kids at the big clubs get paid (note Reece Wabara abandoning his ridiculously expensive Porsche around town - a car our senior players could only dream of), how much of their wages could we really afford to pay - 10%? What do Man City care about that 10% if they can get players out on loan playing senior football?

Attitudes maybe a problem with some, they'd rather have the kudos of saying they 'play' for Man U or whoever.

We still should be able to pick up the phone to City, Utd, the Scousers and say have you got anyone we can have for 6 months etc.