Update From Trust Fans' Representative

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No please

http://www.trustoldham.co.uk/board-representative-update-feb/
Sorry to steal Underdog's thunder, I thought this was worth a new thread lest it be lost among everything else

No please steal away LL, I'm only human and can miss things. Plus I was really naughty and posted what I could in works time before pegging it out of the door.

Thanks think it deserved it's own thread Edited by Ackey

The thing that really grates with me is that for years, Simon Corney said that for the club to progress it needed to make money 365 days a year as match day revenue simply wasn't enough and as such was the requirement for either a stadium move or ground redevelopment.

Tonight we have heard directly from our fan rep on the board that only match day revenue from the stand goes into the club. Now I know we have more corporate facilites than the days pre north stand and more beer via the concourses but the club still, off that statement, is only making money once every two weeks 10 months of the year

Edited by JWhite101

Why can't all official statements that come from the club be like this? Honestly Simon (and I've never met the bloke) being our fans representative is probably one of the few positives that are happening at our club at the moment. For someone to take as much time for free to help Latics' future is highly appreciated. When he spoke on gmr he sounded a lot more trustworthy and a lot less arrogant than Neil Joy.

Keep up the good work and don't let us miserable bastards grind you down.

Hi Simon B,

Thank you for taking your time not only to compile, raise and document these questions but also your wider work with the Trust. You've shown in this single statement exactly what the Trust should be doing in much greater depth. That's not to say you can respond to every ludicrous rumour. However many of those questions asked should have been clarified years ago and whilst commercial decisions made by the Club should of course be treated with due caution they are also very much in the Trust and wider fan community's interest.

Specifically then to two points;

1. First you say: "To be clear, since 2004 Brassbank have “owned” the land on which Boundary Park and the car park stands. They also own the other parcels of land around the footprint. This isn’t new news, as it was one of the first moves that the Three Amigos did when they took on the club. That is a commercial decision they made and as such the reasons for this remain their choice. The 20 year lease that Neil Joy mentioned on the radio was a renewal of the lease which took place in 2011. The lease / agreement ends on 12th July 2031. This ensures Oldham Athletic have a home."

I would counter that it ensures we have a home for 15ish years and whilst this is indeed nothing new it needs to be closely monitored by the Trust, would you agree? It also means the club have no assets aside from those on the field, correct?

2. Secondly you say, with regard to the income from the new stand: "...and other club related non-matchday activity such as meetings, events and dinners. The more successful the stand is in all aspects, the more positive the impact will be on the club finances."

Is this not a long way of saying "nothing more than than a few pie and beer sales than it made before" ? I am not negating the value of the stand and the potential community benefits. But specific to the "24/7 cash generation" type claims which have been made repeatedly you would agree these are false? And that from this statement the club makes no money day to day, only the OEC/Brassbank do?

The thing that really grates with me is that for years, Simon Corney said that for the club to progress it needed to make money 365 days a year as match day revenue simply wasn't enough and as such was the requirement for either a stadium move or ground redevelopment.

Tonight we have heard directly from our fan rep on the board that only match day revenue from the stand goes into the club. Now I know we have more corporate facilites than the days pre north stand and more beer via the concourses but the club still, off that statement, is only making money once every two weeks 10 months of the year

Hang on, when I read it it says than club related non-match day revenue such as meetings and events also goes to the football club?

'and other club related non-matchday activity such as meetings, events and dinners.'

So not just match days!

Club related lads. A business conference or a wedding ain't club related. It'd have to be a OAFC do for the club to see anything e.g. the awards night. The Christmas dos for example won't.

If your a latics fan needing a conference venue this place won't put funds into OAFC, just that lovely brassbank.

Club related lads. A business conference or a wedding ain't club related. It'd have to be a OAFC do for the club to see anything e.g. the awards night. The Christmas dos for example won't.

If your a latics fan needing a conference venue this place won't put funds into OAFC, just that lovely brassbank.

Exactly - so the "football club" are making money for exactly the same things they did last year just on (as Ackey said) a few more pints and pies, and in a new room

Exactly - so the "football club" are making money for exactly the same things they did last year just on (as Ackey said) a few more pints and pies, and in a new room

No, if they host the end of season awards they'll make money rather than say The White Hart Lydgate.

Plus boxes & 100 Club. I'm sure the idea is/was that crowds &, therefore, income would increase with a modern stand and all that comes with it.

Unfortunately they keep contriving to prevent that from coming to fruition.

How is it any different to what happens now?