Team for Blackpool game

Bored of all the mashings and moanings about finances etc

What do we think we should be our starting 11 for the crunch game this weekend?

I think we should be attacking - two up front (Murphy and Poleon) plus Forte on the left alongside Winchester, Kelly, Jones and Palmer in the midfield.

Or is 3 at the back too much of a risk, particularly with Gerrard not being that quick?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coleman

Dieng

Gerrard

J Wilson

Dummigan

Winchester

Kelly

Jones

Lafferty

Murphy

Cassidy

Subs: Renshaw, B Wilson, Mills, Vassell, Croft, Poleon, Forte

Perhaps a bit defensive, but even so the team looks a lot better with Gerrard in it!

Coleman

Dummigan Dieng Gerrard Lafferty

Winchester Jones Kelly Palmer Forte

Murphy

---------------------

:censored: this two strikers rubbish - we don't have two adequate strikers so why bother contriving it. Easiest selection of the season...

Edited by NewBlue

Coleman

Dummigan Dieng Gerrard Lafferty

Winchester Jones Kelly Palmer Forte

Murphy

---------------------

:censored: this two strikers rubbish - we don't have two adequate strikers so why bother contriving it. Easiest selection of the season...

Murphy isn't good enough to play up there on his own...

I'd go for a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield, because I think it will get the best out of Forte.

There's often been the question of whether he's better on the wing or up front. I think Johnson got the best out of him by giving in lots of space out wide and having him cutting inside from the left in between the right full back and centre back to latch on to through ball from the midfield. Hopefully we could do the same with:

Coleman

Dummigan

Dieng

Gerrard

Lafferty

Kelly

Winchester

Jones

Palmer

Murphy

Forte

I wouldn't be surprised if J Wilson plays ahead of Dieng as he could be a good centre back partner for Gerrard, but Dieng has been the better player over the season so I reckon he will get the nod.

I was never a big fan of Danny and not disappointed to see him, especially for a fee.

However, one of the golden rules of football is that former players raise their game and generally score against you.

Need to find 2 goals to win on Saturday.

Surprised some have dropped Palmer - been good in both games.

Forte - looked good on the wing more than upfront so would play him there.

Never keen on one up front, so would have Murphy (still the most likely of our front players to look like a striker) plus either Poleon or Cassidy.

It's the back I am not sure on - with Gerrard and a formation that I like needing a 3 man defence, not sure what the best lineup is.

Coleman

Dummigan

Dieng

Gerrard

Lafferty

Palmer

Kelly

Jones

Winchester

Murphy

Forte

Maybe? It's actually quite difficult having a (...relative) wealth of talent in central midfield, no wingers and ineffective strikers...

But 2 good full backs (on loan)

I think that might be quite a good team selection

Edited by ChaddySmoker

Come on you can do better than that? You have 24 hours to fill your boots

Only that long before seeing Winny throw him off the ball before accelerating away from him, fag in hand in the 90th minute? I'm giddy with anticipation! Edited by leeslover

This for me is a must win 6 pointer but having failed to get the target man in that we so desperately need I just can't see us winning the game.

Cassidy can't win the ball never mind hold it up, Poleon is a headless chicken, Forte is not a central striker, and the only hope is that Murphy (who really needs to play off a dominant CF) can get on the end of something.

No matter what side we put out our problem will still be scoring goals....they don't score too many either and a

0 v 0 scoreline looks highly likely.

This for me is a must win 6 pointer but having failed to get the target man in that we so desperately need I just can't see us winning the game.

Cassidy can't win the ball never mind hold it up, Poleon is a headless chicken, Forte is not a central striker, and the only hope is that Murphy (who really needs to play off a dominant CF) can get on the end of something.

No matter what side we put out our problem will still be scoring goals....they don't score too many either and a

0 v 0 scoreline looks highly likely.

I am not a fan of the phrase "must win" games as that tends to put undue pressure on everyone. In my head I thought that about the Bury game, but a win and few other results in our favour and we are still in with a fighting chance. Any win is vital and even a defeat on Saturday could be recoverable if we took 3 points from Wigan / Peterborough away, but whilst they are 9 points clear of us there probably represent the highest league position we could realistically hit this year. I think the key key games are the Fleetwood, Crewe and Chesterfield.

Whilst not having a good target man in the team, we have enough players with the potential to have a threat / be creative that could mean can get a goal or two.

Winchester - a player that could/should score more goals and something I am sure Shez is working on

Jones - his deadfalls are dangerous. Scored one and had one well saved in recent weeks.

Forte - whilst most dangerous from the wing it seems, does have the capability of hitting the back of the net when gets the chances.

Palmer - seems focused on trying to get the ball forward with purpose.

Poleon - has pace. Has scored on rare occasions.

Murphy - for me looks like a natural predator type forward, perhaps more than other forwards we have had for a few years. I genuinely believe given some service and support he could get 5+ goals between now and the end of the season.

Cassidy - if I hadn't read some positive stuff about pre-season and the Middlesborough cup game I think I'd struggle to think of something positive to say.

Perhaps we'll get the goals we need, but from midfield. Or even Gerrard from a corner. Or off the referee's arse.

Don't really care.

Why is he only coming on as a sub in the 88th minute? I thought that you would have selected your beloved Bambi to start!

He could spend the other 88 running up and down the Main Stand steps with Gordon on his back and he'd be faster and stronger than the star of your next wank.