Signings that have made big impacts over the years

Not a Latics example, but one that springs to mind of having a negative impact was Asprilla at Newcastle.

A good, if bonkers, player that seemed to unsettle what was a very good Newcastle side and in the end I think was a big part of why the wheels fell off at St James that season and resulted in Manchester United getting the title.

I think he won the Rodney marsh award that year

One player that I remember had a massive impact immediately but only played 13 games was.......?

Anybody know who I'm on about?

George Kinnell, sold for £25,000.

Jim Beardall scored about a dozen goals before Xmas them moved to non league Great Harwood.

Edited by BP1960

Carss and Eyres had a big impact if my memory is right

Massive impact. Our squad was pretty woeful in terms of genuine quality back then, aside from a player or two. Eyresey was such class. Probably as close to an exciting player as Tricky Ricky in his pomp. I think Morais, evidently not on the same galaxy as Eyresey mind, was another example of being a joy to watch when he was on his game. Harkins another.

As fans you'll forgive most things if you have a player of that ilk in the team. Yeah, most weeks we'll be :censored:, get beat but you always know 'that' performance is waiting to be unleashed. It'll encourage a fan like me to go more often knowing that. For the past two seasons I've never felt it was there.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

The late Kevin Moore?

Correct Wozzer......if we could have kept him for a few seasons I reckon he could well have become one of our very best ever players.

He was only here 2 or 3 months but the difference he made to the team cannot be overstated and remember being absolutely gutted when we lost him to Southampton.

A captain and leader of the highest order! RIP.

Correct Wozzer......if we could have kept him for a few seasons I reckon he could well have become one of our very best ever players.

He was only here 2 or 3 months but the difference he made to the team cannot be overstated and remember being absolutely gutted when we lost him to Southampton.

A captain and leader of the highest order! RIP.

Agreed - his performance in the first leg of the play off at Elland Rd was one of the finest centre half displays I've ever seen.