16 Premiership clubs to enter the JPT

Should say under 21 sides in the title

For me I can see this allowing Prem teams to pull out the League cup or it being scrapped all together. If they want to expand it bring back the Conference sides play the opening round week before the season starts on a Saturday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/19/will-premier-league-b-team-plans-rise-from-the-ashes/

Edited by Forte_Baby

They try their best to keep the integrity of the tournament through fines, then they totally discredit it with these proposals.

Scrap it if it means this little. League clubs don't exist to serve the ends of the FA, national team and, least of all, Premier League teams. It's an insult...

Only a matter of time before this happened - what the PL want, they get and stuff what anyone else thinks about it. They'll be entering U21 sides in a regionalised Leagues 1 & 2 soon. It may also be insurance for when they're forced to leave UEFA through organising a European League.

That day can't come soon enough for me.

The JPT will finish up being played behind closed doors like what happened in the abysmal Manchester Senior Cup when Latics sent a reserve team to play MUFC at Carringon.

Edited by BP1960

Only a matter of time before this happened - what the PL want, they get and stuff what anyone else thinks about it. They'll be entering U21 sides in a regionalised Leagues 1 & 2 soon. It may also be insurance for when they're forced to leave UEFA through organising a European League.

That day can't come soon enough for me.

The sooner they join a European Super League the better, they will make the elite clubs exempt from relegation of course and the likes of Leicester wont be allowed in.

Just like the Eurovision song contest where GB are guaranteed entry, English clubs won't win it anyway and everyone will be bored.

Read a while back that it costs Latics more money to put on a home JPT tie than they recieve in gate receipts.

Don't know the accuracy of that but if it's true, and with the addition of these u21 sides, you can see some kind of joint backlash by League clubs.

Tbh I reckon fans-wise most people are pretty apathetic about the competition itself. It's more a matter of principle to oppose the changes.

Who is it supposed to benefit? Young English players with a view to improving the England team further down the line? Or is it just to give game time to Premiership teams giant squad of overpaid youth so they're more battle hardened?

Can't see it doing either.

Impose a maximum 1st team squad size and maximum 'B' team squad size (to include 18+ year olds) on teams at all levels. This number includes anyone you send out on loan. Then let those players that don't make the grade go and play some actual :censored:ing football lower down the pyramid. Rather than getting paid £5k a week to train a bit and play the odd U21 game.

Scrap the JPT and exclude the Premiership teams from the League Cup. They aren't part of the Football League anyway.

The only redeeming factor of the JPT is the chance to see your team at Wembley, which for most L1/2 teams is a rare occasion. I think Oxford are taking 30,000 to Wembley next week. If we got to Wembley, I'd want the whole experience. That doesn't include facing an empty opposition end because we're playing Swansea U21s.

Would they change the rule of having a certain amount of players from the previous league game starting, if not the premiership B teams would be players from the 1st team the previous week, mind you they could always bend the rules a little to suit.

The only redeeming factor of the JPT is the chance to see your team at Wembley, which for most L1/2 teams is a rare occasion. I think Oxford are taking 30,000 to Wembley next week. If we got to Wembley, I'd want the whole experience. That doesn't include facing an empty opposition end because we're playing Swansea U21s.

Swansea under 21s v Bournemouth under 21s at Wembley won't have much appeal.

The powers that be will likely alter that, discard Wembley as a venue and make the final 2 legs.

Edited by BP1960

:censored: tournament. Can't really see how this makes it any :censored:ter.

I agree that it's a :censored: tournament but I do think this makes it even :censored:ter. I would imagine the FA will still try to enforce that the likes of Latics can't field a reserve side, even though they'll be playing a bunch of Premier League kids, which just seems more ridiculous than it is already. Seems like a move to say in a few years time that it's been a massive success and so the big clubs should be allowed to put B-teams in the Football League. It also disincentivises Prem clubs loaning young players to our level.

Seems like a move to say in a few years time that it's been a massive success and so the big clubs should be allowed to put B-teams in the Football League. I

This will happen, nothing surer. There'll be a Premier League, (minus the clubs who bugger off and play in the european league), the championship and then regionalised league 1's consisting of present League 1 & 2, Conference clubs and the PL's U21s.

Can't wait.

I agree that it's a :censored: tournament but I do think this makes it even :censored:ter. I would imagine the FA will still try to enforce that the likes of Latics can't field a reserve side, even though they'll be playing a bunch of Premier League kids, which just seems more ridiculous than it is already. Seems like a move to say in a few years time that it's been a massive success and so the big clubs should be allowed to put B-teams in the Football League. It also disincentivises Prem clubs loaning young players to our level.

To me it looks like the effective replacement of emergency loans