The EU referendum - 23rd June

Matt

The EU referendum  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the UK to leave or remain in the EU?

• Leave the EU
    • Remain in the EU
    • Currently undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Because we are one of the wealthier countries (despite what Dodgy Dave and Greedy George tell you) and if we are in the EU or not it shouldnt affect us looking after our fellow man (or woman.)

It's bat:censored: crazy to allow people to migrate so as to claim benefits here. I don't think that's the main reason people do but it has a lot of potential to grow.

I don't know about you, but I'm keeping my leftover holiday 40 euros for a couple of years and then live like a millionaire. I may buy Sunderland. The city, not the club.

If the Euro is still in existence you'll be able to buy thousands of 18 year old Southern Europeans with it

It's bat:censored: crazy to allow people to migrate so as to claim benefits here. I don't think that's the main reason people do but it has a lot of potential to grow.

People migrate here for work, and because work brings benefits, such as state education, healthcare free at the point of use and a safety-net welfare state. They see it as a healthy mixed economy. Take away those benefits and they simply won't come. Isn't that what the sans-culotte, eight-wanks-a-day brigade want?

LL - does it mean he's pissed, SEETHING or both when he starts hitting us with bits of French like "sans-culotte"?

Funnily enough I'm neither. I'm just sitting back with the popcorn waiting to see the mewling and puking of the provinces when the UK Government takes the view that we're in until we're out, no matter what happened in the advisory referendum.

People migrate here for work, and because work brings benefits, such as state education, healthcare free at the point of use and a safety-net welfare state. They see it as a healthy mixed economy. Take away those benefits and they simply won't come. Isn't that what the sans-culotte, eight-wanks-a-day brigade want?

Eight wanks a day! Its no :censored:ing wonder they don't want to work.

Still in officially. It's a 2 way thing, though - EU has already started stripping UK diplomats of responsibility etc.

Theoretically, could the EU vote to expel us? and if that were the case, could we use our veto? (lol if we did it would be for the first time in donkey's years...and in an attempt to cling onto the EU!)

I don't think they can expel us. The future of "in" is we have an extremely stand-offish relationship with the EU, always threatening to leave (with them holding the door open when we're not), sending our worst people (Tarquin Featherington-Smythe, 21, educated at Wellington and Bristol University, is typically the entire UK Foreign Office presence in the EU) and generally not getting along with the neighbours. It'll be a lot like the last 30 years.

Some of the rancor being handed out by some is quite perturbing,

What's up with the working classes having their say? It's their democratic right. It's time get your dummies back in.and crack on! :laught30:

Whats wrong with working classes having a vote? nothing one of my ancestors went to prison in victorian times campaigning for that as part of the chartist movement.

It doesn't mean that the decision they have made is the right one, and it doesn't mean the rest of us can't disagree with it,although democracy has been served so while I disagree with it having a second referendum would be a bad idea I think we should now try and make the best of it. If it had gone the other way do you think UKIP would have turned round and said fair enough we've had the vote we are calling it quits forever now?

Perhaps you would like to tell us all how you're life is going to get better because of this?

To be fair Glossop the rancor has,in the main been coming from the remain camp rather than the other way round. I wont be biting on that one. As for UKIP ? I'm not sure, Farage got his wishes which needed a referendum (once in a lifetime,vote) So who knows?

Most of what anyone is saying is speculative at least,

I don't know if my life will be better,

I don't see it getting much worse though and i don't regret my vote. It has nothing to do with being a xenophobic racist bigot and why are the cosmopolitan benevolent, so comfortable ridiculing the working classes? Is there any wonder why we are a split nation.

I do agree though, we need to get this behind us and start looking forward.

Your rationale is seriously screwed if you actually recommend implementing measures to account for what a very small percentage 'might' do.

I think the odds on Brexit meaning something pretty substantial shorten with David Davis appointed to oversee it.

Good theory. But then again May isn't stupid. He's inside the tent, for one thing. For another, if he can't negotiate good terms (he has no known negotiating skills or form), to whom do the Brexit camp turn? Going a little further, what if he ultimately is the one to say from the dispatch box, "We will exit just as soon as the terms suit us and not before."

Suddenly it's him who's betrayed the cause rather than May.

Johnson is now basically the ventriloquist's dummy of Her Majesty's Foreign Office, and therefore more or less out of the picture, as a reward for playing the team man last weekend to get Leadsom to quit and May to say "Brexit means Brexit".

Fox is in a similar fix to Davis. His big idea was trade deals with BRIC. If they're incompatible with, for instance, social mobility or basic human rights, or if they're not great terms, it's down to him, not May.

If anything, I'm more convinced than ever we'll stay in. The way May played the leadership contest from so far back makes me think her biggest fans in the end might be the Brexit zealots.

IF net immigration is 300,000 per annum (of which only a percentage comes from the EU) and there are 100,000 migrating the other way, then 200,000 of 65 million equates to roughly 0.3% of the population. Or, to put perspective on it, an extra eleven fans onto an average Latics home attendance of approximately 3750.

Edited by piglinbland

IF net immigration is 300,000 per annum (of which only a percentage comes from the EU) and there are 100,000 migrating the other way, then 200,000 of 65 million equates to roughly 0.3% of the population. Or, to put perspective on it, an extra eleven fans onto an average Latics home attendance of approximately 3750.

Thing is, migrants aren't distributed equally, the same with refugees. most of them end up north of London.

If net immigration is 300 with 100 going the other way, that means 400 this way surely?

To be fair Glossop the rancor has,in the main been coming from the remain camp rather than the other way round. I wont be biting on that one. As for UKIP ? I'm not sure, Farage got his wishes which needed a referendum (once in a lifetime,vote) So who knows?

Most of what anyone is saying is speculative at least,

I don't know if my life will be better,

I don't see it getting much worse though and i don't regret my vote. It has nothing to do with being a xenophobic racist bigot and why are the cosmopolitan benevolent, so comfortable ridiculing the working classes? Is there any wonder why we are a split nation.

I do agree though, we need to get this behind us and start looking forward.

The ridiculing is directed at people who blame everything on immigrants many of whom are making a bigger contribution to society than those pointing the finger. If we are going to have a more United Kingdom then that should include less stigma to immigrants (I'm not necessarily saying this is you) aswell as less ridiculing of the working classes is that a fair deal?