League shake up

How can playing less games bring in more money? How can having less games for your money make you more likely to buy a season ticket? Get the lie big enough and we won't notice? The Premier League has been allowed to take too much out of the game already. They should be told that they must have a 2nd team competition and that the Football league teams are not taking anymore crap from them.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would only get the votes if the PL shared more of it's zillions but that would obviously mean them having their B teams in which would be awful - & in itself lead to lower crowds due to zero away fans at many of their games. So Im pretty sure there's no chance of it happening but then again they must think they have a chance of getting it through....

This would only get the votes if the PL shared more of it's zillions but that would obviously mean them having their B teams in which would be awful - & in itself lead to lower crowds due to zero away fans at many of their games. So Im pretty sure there's no chance of it happening but then again they must think they have a chance of getting it through....

Less games would potentially mean clubs could have smaller squads less travel costs of 4 away games. A smaller league might mean a more competitive league as promotion and relegation are that bit closer. If the bottom 2 leagues were regional then perhaps it's a goer. However it's offset by the loss of 4 home games.

It won't make much difference either way it won't be "another nail in the coffin of lower league football" people who say this need to learn to shut up they have been saying this since the dawn of time and we are still all here pretty much.

would need to alter the play offs at the same time

6th play away at 5th winner gets to play 4th away for the right to play 3rd in the final more incentive to finnish higher especialy 3rd place

Instinctively, if the Premier League agree to it, I know it isn't in the best interests of clubs of Latics' kind.

What I don't get is how they say it will be beneficial on an international basis. league 1 and 2 players are not internationals and it's not like we are suddenly going to be able to sell the rights for league 1 to the overseas either.

The loss for me is the beauty of a night match. That first time. The cool night air, the floodlights drawing the crowd like moths to a flame, the bovril somehow smelling stronger, the grass greener as you emerge from the bowel of the stand, the shirts somehow brighter, the voices carrying further, the words lingering, the net rippling slightly more, the feeling of that first time. Stays forever. Now, potentially lost and denied to many a youngster.

Mind you, I won't miss the yellow gloom of Vale away and the drive home muttering about another bitter to take result......

Edited by Bunty Blue

The loss for me is the beauty of a night match. That first time. The cool night air, the floodlights drawing the crowd like moths to a flame, the bovril somehow smelling stronger, the grass greener as you emerge from the bowel of the stand, the shirts somehow brighter, the voices carrying further, the words lingering, the net rippling slightly more, the feeling of that first time. Stays forever. Now, potentially lost and denied to many a youngster.

Mind you, I won't miss the yellow gloom of Vale away and the drive home muttering about another bitter to take result......

It doesn't have to be that way the PL play 38 games and still have midweek games. Plus league cup JPT and FA Cup replays played then. Plus it gives us the option of a mid season break say between the FA Cup 3rd and 4th rounds this will give pitches and players time to recover. Playing less games would give us flexibility when games are played.

With the exception of last season I've got to March and April and for the past 6-7 seasons I've been bored we are too far from the top 6 and usually safe from relegation the players just seem to go through the motions too as their thoughts appear to be on holiday destinations. Taking a few teams out will make it that abit more interesting.

I'm not saying it's the salvation to lower league football but aslong as it doesn't lead to PL B teams coming in I'm fairly happy to go along with it.

I think a shakeup is required. But any shakeup won't benefit the smaller teams, just the big boys (as always). Glossop makes some excellent points though. It often gets very boring from March onwards as more teams have less to play for. It often means these teams are easier to play when teams that have got something riding on it play them.

As someone mentioned further up. A B-team introduction would be a massive death knell to my interests.

Fair point GlossopLatic. Do you think it's a step towards regional divisions?

I don't know If it was upto me I would say we should have 3 national leagues of 20 (4 if you count the PL) and 2 north and south leagues of 20 and regionalise it from that point down. The like of Accrington Stanley are better off playing the likes of Halifax Southport and Morecambe rather than long treks to Exeter and Torquay.

Back in my uni days I did a study on our attendances for the 2000-01 season a year which was a very southern based league 1. We found for every mile further a team travelled to a game, it reduced the attendance by 11 people. After 160 miles it flattened out as people prepared to travel that far were the die hards who would travel 200-250 miles to watch their team but I think it proved regional leagues lower down the football pyramid should be seriously looked at.

I can see why people have concerns on this the fact that the PL backs this, is more concerning than reassuring when you look at their last proposal of B teams in the FL. But I do believe the football league should look at inovating it's competition we should be open minded to it, lets see what the discusions bring.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Bollocks to it.

It's about Premier B teams, Celtic and Rangers and a series of illogical claims that don't stack up.

My first instinct was that it was an interesting initiative. I'm now convinced it's for all the wrong reasons and is a load of :censored:e.

B teams might be on the menu but when it comes to the crunch nobody will ever order it.

I don't really know if there is a bigger picture with these proposals, we do know that the quality of football is dropping because we see it with our own eyes, would playing less games help? Don't know but it is probably worth looking at.

I think it's a non-starter needing 90% approval. A t least a couple of club chairmen (Accrington and Bradford) have already said there is no way they'll support it due to the reduction in the number home games.