League shake up

Keep the Championship but with only 20 Teams

Keep League One but only 20 Teams with 4 Teams falling from the Championship

Introduce a Northern League with 20 Teams and likewise a Southern League - Leagues would be made up of 8 teams from League One, the current 24 Teams from League Two and 8 Teams from the current National Conference

Whilst there is less League games I would think playing more teams on a Saturday that are within 'reasonable travel times' will boost attendances and likely make up the concerns of revenue loss with less games

It's an absolute winner for me :applause1:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 fewer games improves the finances?

"The Football League says the move would tackle fixture congestion and boost the finances of its members."

I can understand the former, but the Football League need to explain the latter!

Celtic and Rangers will probably have another attempt to enter the English league pyramid.

My initial instinct is to say 'no', but let's see the details fleshed out.

Wouldnt surprise me if an extended Football League would then lead to B-teams and a blocking of relegation/promotion to the Premier League.

Never understood the desire for this... We might not have the best quality top league in Europe, but we have the most popular and entertaining in the world... We have teams like Leicester winning it (albeit an exception to the norm) but then others like Bournemouth staying up, Watford etc.

These changes would kill my love of football I think, I think we all live in hope that one day we can return to the big time, and let's be honest, an opening day fixture against Tottenham Hotspur's B team is not appealing in the slightest.

1. The Premier League Teams are already reducing the scale of their Academies never mind running a 'B Team' in the new 'FL80' and they currently loan most of their younger players out to FL72 teams to gain experience already

2. There is no way at all that Celtic or Rangers would give up their entry into the Champions / Europa Leagues to play football in the English Leagues

3. No more 'daft midweek fixtures' Away at Southend or Home v Teams travelling hundreds of miles with only a loyal few fans making the journey

Just an opinion . . . . :coffee1:

1. The Premier League Teams are already reducing the scale of their Academies never mind running a 'B Team' in the new 'FL80' and they currently loan most of their younger players out to FL72 teams to gain experience already

2. There is no way at all that Celtic or Rangers would give up their entry into the Champions / Europa Leagues to play football in the English Leagues

3. No more 'daft midweek fixtures' Away at Southend or Home v Teams travelling hundreds of miles with only a loyal few fans making the journey

Just an opinion . . . . :coffee1:

1. But they have previously and recently floated that proposal.

2. They'd earn more from eventually getting into the premiership.

3. Granted. We'd have more JPT group games instead. Woo.

Never understood the desire for this... We might not have the best quality top league in Europe, but we have the most popular and entertaining in the world... We have teams like Leicester winning it (albeit an exception to the norm) but then others like Bournemouth staying up, Watford etc.

These changes would kill my love of football I think, I think we all live in hope that one day we can return to the big time, and let's be honest, an opening day fixture against Tottenham Hotspur's B team is not appealing in the slightest.

That is why promotion and relegation are here to stay. Their isn't the desire with football for it to happen amongst fans or within football clubs as a whole. The Premier league would be committing suicide by doing it.

3. Granted. We'd have more JPT group games instead. Woo.

That could revitalise the competition. Teams play weakened sides/don't take it seriously because it's too many games and doesn't make money. If there's an incentive to play more home games to make up for the lost league games, we might see more clubs suddenly take an interest.

They might be restructuring the JPT to account for the lost income on league games, especially if they seeded groups to give lower teams a couple of bigger games, and higher teams an easier run to the later stages.

If it's all a play for B-teams or Scottish teams, then it's a terrible idea. If they can provide the lower clubs with assurances of how it will make them more money, I don't think it'll be that devastating.

If we wanted to see our teams win the Premier League, we wouldn't be supporting lower league clubs.

OK, I'll bite because this is one of those things that winds me up.

I do want to see us win the Premier League. I completely accept that it isn't going to happen but I do not support Oldham Athletic because I have some love of lower league football.

Like many other people, I support my local club. It just so happens that I was born and have always lived in Oldham and my local club isn't very good.

Anything that further widens the gap between the wealthy clubs and those fighting in the lower leagues can only be a bad thing for me. My view here, is that this will widen the gap as it increases the likelihood of both a Premier League 2 and also of B Teams being invited into the football pyramid.

If we wanted to see our teams win the Premier League, we wouldn't be supporting lower league clubs.

I do want to see us win the Premier League. I completely accept that it isn't going to happen but I do not support Oldham Athletic because I have some love of lower league football.

Like many other people, I support my local club. It just so happens that I was born and have always lived in Oldham and my local club isn't very good.

Anything that further widens the gap between the wealthy clubs and those fighting in the lower leagues can only be a bad thing for me. My view here, is that this will widen the gap as it increases the likelihood of both a Premier League 2 and also of B Teams being invited into the football pyramid.

That could revitalise the competition. Teams play weakened sides/don't take it seriously because it's too many games and doesn't make money. If there's an incentive to play more home games to make up for the lost league games, we might see more clubs suddenly take an interest.

I think it's optimistic at best to think groups would improve it. Crowds improved in the early stages when they got rid of groups years ago.

They might be restructuring the JPT to account for the lost income on league games, especially if they seeded groups to give lower teams a couple of bigger games, and higher teams an easier run to the later stages.

I like the concept of the JPT/FLT. But can you seriously say seeding in the League Cup first round gives any worthwhile boost? Doing the same for the JPT/FLT wouldn't even be noticed by most.

If it's all a play for B-teams or Scottish teams, then it's a terrible idea. If they can provide the lower clubs with assurances of how it will make them more money, I don't think it'll be that devastating.

Could not agree more. I don't trust the motives because the benefits claimed don't stack up.

I think it's optimistic at best to think groups would improve it. Crowds improved in the early stages when they got rid of groups years ago.

I like the concept of the JPT/FLT. But can you seriously say seeding in the League Cup first round gives any worthwhile boost? Doing the same for the JPT/FLT wouldn't even be noticed by most.

Could not agree more. I don't trust the motives because the benefits claimed don't stack up.

Changes wouldnt make the JPT perfect, but they couldn't really make it much worse. And anything that might make clubs take it more seriously has got to be a positive change. It's all speculation, though, at this stage, because as you say there isn't a clear plan of what will happen if/when the changes are made.

The main thing the bits about fixture congestion scream out loud is the abolition of the J P :censored:ing T.

To not do so (or suggest doing so) makes a mockery of everything else that's in there

Which is why I don't trust the unstated agenda.

Why don't we just get rid of football matches - they seem to be the root cause for things like "fixture congestion", "player fatigue" , "midweek games" etc

Instead we can all buy Sky/BT subs and watch people talking about football... would be less of a headache for the powers that be.

The main thing the bits about fixture congestion scream out loud is the abolition of the J P :censored:ing T.

To not do so (or suggest doing so) makes a mockery of everything else that's in there

The thing with the JPT it can be as little as 1 match difference compared to 8 games if you change the league to 20 teams.

Secondly with the JPT you can almost opt out of it anyway by fielding a weakened team and telling the 1st teamers who do play to take it easy and don't get injured, and bring a couple of them off at half time.

This all day long!

Even the most drug fueled Oldham fans realise we are not going to win the Premier League and it very unlikley we will ever play in that divison again wihout a millionaire backer however if you take away the hope whats the point?

Edited by palmer1

Not sure why anyone has a problem with Scottish teams entering the league as long as they do so low down it. We have Swansea, Cardiff, Newport and Wrexham playing in the English pyramid and Berwick playing in the Scottish league.

PL teams dropping out of the Football League cup should be a no-brainer - they aren't in the Football League. Scrapping the JPT and restricting the League Cup to League members works for me. Reasonable chance for league clubs to win something.

Please leave football alone. If the Premier League want less football, stop their lucrative foreign tours and competitions every time we have a break or out of season. Their players are never to fatigued for those and the long haul flights. 8 less games for clubs like Latics is a massive loss of income and therefore what we can spend on players and other costs. So, why don't the PL offer a bit more of their ever increasing mega millions down the football ladder rather than working out how to get their agenda through the back door. Can't see it happening and the league is not there to provide reserve facilities for the PL teams. Rant over for now!

It doesn't have to be that way the PL play 38 games and still have midweek games. Plus league cup JPT and FA Cup replays played then. Plus it gives us the option of a mid season break say between the FA Cup 3rd and 4th rounds this will give pitches and players time to recover. Playing less games would give us flexibility when games are played.

With the exception of last season I've got to March and April and for the past 6-7 seasons I've been bored we are too far from the top 6 and usually safe from relegation the players just seem to go through the motions too as their thoughts appear to be on holiday destinations. Taking a few teams out will make it that abit more interesting.

I'm not saying it's the salvation to lower league football but aslong as it doesn't lead to PL B teams coming in I'm fairly happy to go along with it.

The problem with any mid-season break in England is when to have it? Between the start of November and end of February there is a chance of games being called off due to weather. Every couple of seasons, it's more likely to just add to fixture congestion.

JPT is poor enough without introducing seeding. Just because someone is classed as a 'bigger team' why should they have an easier run to the latter stages? That goes for the other cups aswell, everyone should just be put into a pot at the start and see who they get paired against.