League shake up

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point?

Agreed. It says it's to reduce fixture congestion for the good of the 'English game' but I can't ever say I've thought we play too many games. Top flight theres an issue due to some clubs likely to go further in cup comps and all clubs are affected by the international breaks but that's not something that concerns us lower down. Even in the Championship when they dont play on international breaks I imagine the player pool is much smaller in terms of who is on duty for their country.

Edited by Oafc88

Just makes the promised land further away...

Agree, the Prem and Champ would break away. But they're doing that anyway. Dont see the point of the whole thing, but it wouldn't be disastrous.

If we wanted to see our teams win the Premier League, we wouldn't be supporting lower league clubs. If this meant there's more chance of some promotion/relegation seasons when there's something to fight for... why not?

Just makes the promised land further away...

Why? We finished 17th this season, which is 41st in the football league. When they do the shake up we'd just have to make sure we finished in the top 16, and then the promised land is just as far away as it is now.

Why? We finished 17th this season, which is 41st in the football league. When they do the shake up we'd just have to make sure we finished in the top 16, and then the promised land is just as far away as it is now.

Alternatively we've just won the 3rd division.

I don't like the idea, 6 league games fewer, would reduce our income, players would still want similar wages so how would we manage? I bet season ticket prices would stay similar for 3 less games also!

Geared up to let Prem B teams in isn't it?

When the Premier League suggested it everyone wasnt happy but they always find a way.

Apparently clubs would decide where the extra teams come from.

I cannot see how playing more games on a Saturday would offset the lost income from 4 less home games. Rough estimate says you would need around 1000 more fans to attend each week. Extend the season instead to reduce amount of midweek games and get league to manage fixtures better so most local fixtures are on a Saturday.

They need 90% of clubs to vote for it at the Football League AGM this summer, which is a very tough ask. Given the loss of income due the reduction in the number of home games, I can't see the less wealthy clubs voting for it unless someone presents a very convincing argument as to how they will make more money rather than less.

I don't like the idea, 6 league games fewer, would reduce our income, players would still want similar wages so how would we manage? I bet season ticket prices would stay similar for 3 less games also!

Less income means clubs can increase ticket prices further use loss of income from less games.

They need 90% of clubs to vote for it at the Football League AGM this summer, which is a very tough ask. Given the loss of income due the reduction in the number of home games, I can't see the less wealthy clubs voting for it unless someone presents a very convincing argument as to how they will make more money rather than less.

Wealthy clubs wants less teams in Championship meaning more TV money for them.