What are the rules ?

Guest nonaenever

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Referees - Sometimes overweight, sometimes unfit, sometimes have bad eyesight, sometimes are poor at making instant decisions under stress, expected to cover a lot of ground and the most influential person on the pitch. The cream of the crop are utilised in the Premiership and Championship, whereas League One downwards get the left behinds.

It's never going to change and it won't be just the Latics' fans that are feeling hard done to, this weekend.

It was a sh*t display from the ref, it was a good display from the Latics, it was a bad end-result.

Ladapo, who is still short of match time, was unlucky in hitting the bar and with the glaring miss.

A superb free kick from Law and Erwin has broken his duck. There is so much more to come.

I can't believe some of the comments on Twitter, though.

Bring on Chesterfield.

I`ve been thinking..... the referee was so poor today that if I had been captain of Latics I would have said to the players, "Right, c'mon, we've had enough - we are off the pitch" and walked them all down the tunnel and simply refused to carry on playing with that imbecile in charge. Extreme, I know but justified today.

What would happen if the players simply refused to carry on unless the ref was replaced?

Would the result stand as it was at the time of exit, would the game have to be replayed ?

I understand a fine etc. but someone at some point has to do something to stop refereeing performances like that.

My dad got a lengthy ban at amateur level for taking his players off the pitch cos the opposing team were kicking the :censored: out of them and the ref was doing nothing about it. Even if there's a danger a player is gonna get his legs broken because of the referee's incompetence, the FA will back the referee.

My dad got a lengthy ban at amateur level for taking his players off the pitch cos the opposing team were kicking the :censored: out of them and the ref was doing nothing about it. Even if there's a danger a player is gonna get his legs broken because of the referee's incompetence, the FA will back the referee.

You blame the referee because they were kicking the :censored: out of them.....why don't people realise players have responsibility? The police aren't on the road so I will drive at 100 mph. Police's fault not mine?

You blame the referee because they were kicking the :censored: out of them.....why don't people realise players have responsibility? The police aren't on the road so I will drive at 100 mph. Police's fault not mine?

If the police were on the road and you were driving at 100mph and the police did nothing to stop you, you would be a :censored: but the police would be failing in their duty to ensure the safety of road users.

Haha. Your replies are amusing. Obviously not one post you've ever put on here is a serious one

Haha. Your replies are amusing. Obviously not one post you've ever put on here is a serious one

Yes I write light heartedly but actually the principle of the referee being right even when wrong is fundamental to sport. The undermining of that principle is a rocky road to disaster.

OK in high level pro sport we can introduce third umpires, Hawkeye video refs etc to increase the percentage of correct decisions but the principle of the supremacy of the umpire or referee is one I take absolutely seriously. Referees have poor games , so do players and managers but I genuinely believe none of them do it on purpose

Yesterday we had the sight of a Latics player being applauded after diminishing our chances of success by collecting 2 stupid red cards followed by chants of cheat and you don't know what you are doing to the referee. Baffling

I will continue to support referees as i think the principle is way more important than a dodgy penalty or subjective anger or disappointment

Is that serious enough?

Emily Pankhurst would have awarded us a penalty in the second half. She would certainly approved of having a female assistant on the north stand side

Ah the raffle winner! Couldn't even give a throw in without asking her pal in the middle which way to give it.

I like the one that a famous old player (can't remember his name) came out with in the tunnel before kick off -

Player "Ref if i call you a tw*t will you send me off"?

Ref - "yes i would"

Player - Ref if I think your a tw*t will you send me off"

Ref - "No I Can't send you off for what you think"

Player - Ref I think you are a tw*t "

Classic.

I like the one that a famous old player (can't remember his name) came out with in the tunnel before kick off -

Player "Ref if i call you a tw*t will you send me off"?

Ref - "yes i would"

Player - Ref if I think your a tw*t will you send me off"

Ref - "No I Can't send you off for what you think"

Player - Ref I think you are a tw*t "

Classic.

Ian Marshall allegedly

Yes I write light heartedly but actually the principle of the referee being right even when wrong is fundamental to sport. The undermining of that principle is a rocky road to disaster.

OK in high level pro sport we can introduce third umpires, Hawkeye video refs etc to increase the percentage of correct decisions but the principle of the supremacy of the umpire or referee is one I take absolutely seriously. Referees have poor games , so do players and managers but I genuinely believe none of them do it on purpose

Yesterday we had the sight of a Latics player being applauded after diminishing our chances of success by collecting 2 stupid red cards followed by chants of cheat and you don't know what you are doing to the referee. Baffling

I will continue to support referees as i think the principle is way more important than a dodgy penalty or subjective anger or disappointment

Is that serious enough?

You can write light hearted bollocks and serious bollocks. :censored:ing well done!

That's rubbish.

What you really mean is...

The police see a driver at 100mph and decide that it's fine. Then they see the same driver at 100mph and decide it's still fine.

Then they see a different driver at 100mph and take his license off him.

You really think driver 2 has no right to think the police are idiots? That they should not be questioned about their actions?

The psychology of those making decisions is a risky thing to allow unbridled power.

Most fans know the difficulty that refs have especially especially the way players behave.

Most accept that refs will make mistakes, all most of us want is consistency.

If shirt pulling is a penalty at one end then it should be a penalty at the other.

Absolutely right, I'd rather the ref kept giving penalties for shirt pulling and holding in the box, if it takes a match to finish 20-19 because of the number of penalties so be it, the players might think twice next time.

Maybe on corners if we pulled 3 back to the halfway line there wouldn't be as many opposition players in our penalty area to shirt tug and hold on to. IMO the area is too crowded because we have everyeone back, our defenders and keeper have little room for manoeuvre and leave it to others to take responsibly. We also can do little on the counter attack with the every one back tactic.

Absolutely right, I'd rather the ref kept giving penalties for shirt pulling and holding in the box, if it takes a match to finish 20-19 because of the number of penalties so be it, the players might think twice next time.

Particularly if you've backed O3.5, like I did on Sat :OASISscarf:

The problem is, referees are wrapped in cotton wool by the FA/FL. Managers cannot talk to them until 30 minutes after the game, they can't show them any video evidence and if they say anything that could be contentious, they get slapped with a touchline ban and/or fine. It was clear in SR's interview how guarded he had to be with his comments and that is wrong on every level.

On the pitch, too, the referee is ruler of the kingdom and is able to brandish cards to anyone who tries to point out his indiscretions/errors. This is exactly what happened when Peter Clarke ask for some explanation of what was going on. I've only seen the extended highlights from yesterday, but it's patently clear that Andy Haines didn't have a clue.

Nailed on penalty when Clarke was hauled down in their box. Nasty, over the top tackle on Dunne (I think) could easily have been a red. Clarke taken out on the touchline was at least a yellow, maybe a red and he did nothing except give them a throw in. Those decisions alone dramatically turn a game. Players become frustrated and their game suffers when they see obvious decisions not being made.

​On the other hand, once it's obvious that he's hopelessly inept, the team who's getting the decisions believe that they can ramp up their tackles with less risk of being penalised.

BP1960 said that he has heard that the assessor (Phil Dowd?) went into the ref's dressing room at half time to remind him of the rules regarding shirt pulling, hence the soft penalty against us. Oddly, John Helm said in commentary that it looked as though someone had reminded the ref about that same rule. But surely to God, if he sees someone being wrestled to the floor, shouldn't it be obvious what the outcome should be?

It's weighted so heavily in the referee's favour and that is not good for the game. They are not held to account, they get another game the following week in the same division (a la Ross Joyce), they don't have to explain anything to anyone.

I agree with the OP that something has to be done, and not just in the lower Leagues. Look at some of the performances from the likes of Jon Moss, Anthony Taylor, Michael Oliver and others. I believe that the clubs submit reports after each game, but it appears to have little effect when you see someone like Trevor Kettle and Simon Hooper rocking up at a League ground every week.

I don't go along with walking off the pitch in protest as that would cause serious problems for the club(s) concerned, but can't there be an independent body, maybe even of supporters, who can submit video evidence to the FA/FL highlighting the incompetence of officials? There have been enough incidents in the last two Latics' League games to give them an interesting 15 or 20 minutes.

Having said all that, does anyone actually expect the suits in charge to act, or even react?

I'm still looking forward to Coventry, though. Provided we get a half decent ref, of course.

To be honest, I think it's a lot of the protection that referees are afforded is warranted. In the heat of the moment, players, managers and fans can get very wound up over refereeing decisions and giving a manager access to the ref's room immediately after the final whistle would only create unsavoury situations.

Referees have an essential role in the game and that should be respected. In football they have to tolerate all kinds of behaviour that their counterparts in other sports would never have to put up with.

The FA needs to dedicate its efforts to improving the standards of refereeing and monitoring and appraising referees' performances, not ceasing to protect referees from the :censored:e spouted by players, managers and fans.

The bodies in the box is a good point for me you'd also have to consider zonal marking given that forwards are now running into defenders to draw fouls, tracking your runner is becoming near on impossible without causing some sort of infringement. On the flip side we should have at least 5 or 6 runners into the opposition box for every set piece to try and draw fouls.

Why don't referees have to face the media after games. Might clear up why they did or didn't give something

What good would it do? Unless we're seriously suggesting they're bent then every decision should be based on their perception of what happened in split second, with the view they (and their assistants) have got of any given incident. Making them face the press would only open them up to more (pointless) criticism.

What good would it do? Unless we're seriously suggesting they're bent then every decision should be based on their perception of what happened in split second, with the view they (and their assistants) have got of any given incident. Making them face the press would only open them up to more (pointless) criticism.

Revenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!