Lee Turnbull leaving

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully being replaced. Would be disappointing to lose the role with so many on short term contracts or loans. Job far from done.

I definitely see what you mean. If we're looking for long term success with a plan to fit that aim, then keeping a head of recruitment in place to see through the job he's started (maybe making little adjustments along the way) is the best way to go.

Sadly I'm not convinced that bringing in Turnbull was anything more than a quick fix to get as many players in as possible and I wouldn't be surprised if SO'D ends up being in the same boat. To be fair to the club I'm sure the structure that we've currently got would cost more than we can afford long term, so I can see Corney thinking that they've done the job that were brought in to do.

To be honest with where we were at the start of July I'm glad we were looking to fix things in the short term before looking long term, because we desperately needed it.

I definitely see what you mean. If we're looking for long term success with a plan to fit that aim, then keeping a head of recruitment in place to see through the job he's started (maybe making little adjustments along the way) is the best way to go.

Sadly I'm not convinced that bringing in Turnbull was anything more than a quick fix to get as many players in as possible and I wouldn't be surprised if SO'D ends up being in the same boat. To be fair to the club I'm sure the structure that we've currently got would cost more than we can afford long term, so I can see Corney thinking that they've done the job that were brought in to do.

To be honest with where we were at the start of July I'm glad we were looking to fix things in the short term before looking long term, because we desperately needed it.

I was hoping we were looking long term with a DoF and head of recruitment. It's a good long term model when done right. It should give the manager more time and freedom to focus on running the first team. And also gives continuity should the manager move on.

It's been disappointingly quiet re O'Driscoll. Would have thought if he was in a permanent role then it would have been publicised by the club. So it appears it's more of an open arrangement. Turnbull was seemingly brought in on a permanent role though and there's talk of compensation. So that seems like it wasn't just a quick fix to help with our player problem.

It'd be good to have some clarity from the club about these roles though. Robinson often talks about what he's "trying to do" and that is seemingly starting to come through on the pitch. No idea what anyone else at the club is trying to do though.

It's been disappointingly quiet re O'Driscoll. Would have thought if he was in a permanent role then it would have been publicised by the club. So it appears it's more of an open arrangement. Turnbull was seemingly brought in on a permanent role though and there's talk of compensation. So that seems like it wasn't just a quick fix to help with our player problem.

It was publicised by the club. How many updates do you need about a coach at the club? Did we get updates about Keith Brown last year apart from when he left?

IMO I think the club signed Turnbull and SOD with a short term vision. We didn't have a manager when they joined, Corney was bitten with Darren Kelly last year not knowing how to sign a player. He knew how far behind all the other clubs we would be with the recruitment so bought these two in to help whoever the new manager would be.

Time will tell with SOD but i don't expect him to be part of the club for the long term.

It would be genuinely disappointing if both SOD and Turnbull were brought in as short term appointments. If we recruit well they will easily earn back their salary in either player sales or, what we all really want which is a group of players to come together and achieving something.

Edited by GlossopLatic

It would be genuinely disappointing if both SOD and Turnbull were brought in as short term appointments. If we recruit well they will easily earn back their salary in either player sales

We cannot sell our best players as most of them are not our players. Of the ones that are ours-there are only 2 on contracts past next June.

What we all really want which is a group of players to come together and achieving something.

This season before it all starts again next July.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

We cannot sell our best players as most of them are not our players. Of the ones that are ours-there are only 2 on contracts past next June.

This season before it all starts again next July.

Yes but if the club is to go forward then it's going to have to get its recruitment strategy right.

Theirfore having a head of recruitment and a DOF or consultant or whatever O'driscoll is helping the manager here can and should be a good thing right?

Edited by GlossopLatic

It was publicised by the club. How many updates do you need about a coach at the club? Did we get updates about Keith Brown last year apart from when he left?

Turnbull was appointed full time head of recruitment and there was an article on official site. As far as I've seen the only mention of O'Driscoll was that he'd joined the coaching team and was helping the board find a new manager. Now that's done is he just a coach?

Don't see the harm in an interview for Latics player. I don't want to know the ins and outs of his contract but he's a vastly experienced guy so I'd be interested in hearing his thoughts on the job, club and how he fits in etc.

In today's Chron that SOD comes in to the club once a week and also provides valuable input on match days from his vantage point sat in the stand.

Robinson says he doesn't know how long the arrangement will continue.

Doesn't sound like he is a full time Director of Football, more like part time consultant

Yes but if the club is to go forward then it's going to have to get its recruitment strategy right.

Theirfore having a head of recruitment and a DOF or consultant or whatever O'driscoll is helping the manager here can and should be a good thing right?

Over the summer Mr Corney has, in my mind, made it perfectly clear how the club will go forward-short term contracts.

SOD might be more involved next July again but in the meanwhile will be peripheral. At least until we 'sell' Robinson.

In today's Chron that SOD comes in to the club once a week and also provides valuable input on match days from his vantage point sat in the stand.

Robinson says he doesn't know how long the arrangement will continue.

Doesn't sound like he is a full time Director of Football, more like part time consultant

Certainly doesn't sound like a coach

If the OEC delivers the expected income streams, this might change. But I think the use of short contracts demonstrates his confidence in that.

I can't see how much income the OEC would have to generate that we would be willing to take a chance on having duds and crocks sitting out long contracts when there are loads of loanees out there for free or not much more and possibly at least as good. More income buys a better class of short term signings and the odd punt (Dunnyham, Fane)