Wimbledon AFC

I went to the alternative reality of a game where we were kept to a draw by some very good goalkeeping and the failure by the referee and his assistant to see that the ball did cross the line as was claimed. Well I thought it was a goal. Presumably most of you didn't see the three other saves that were made.

Still most of you like to be negative and there is no harm in that except it does put people off and that was one of our better games.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had chances but first half Ripley pulls of a worldy when one pass took out our whole defence and put them clean through 12 yards out, Clarke got in the way of a certain goal with an incredible block and these were chances before we'd had a shot, as for the attendance there seems to be less and less bothering with each game, seriously thinking of making a weekend of it at Lincoln and knocking the home games on the head because it's dog :censored:.

I went to the alternative reality of a game where we were kept to a draw by some very good goalkeeping and the failure by the referee and his assistant to see that the ball did cross the line as was claimed. Well I thought it was a goal. Presumably most of you didn't see the three other saves that were made.

Still most of you like to be negative and there is no harm in that except it does put people off and that was one of our better games.

I totally agree, although there may still be one or two who will try to twist your words to say that you think we won one nil.

I don't disagree that it was poor. Woeful advertisement for league one football from both sides. However, it baffles me that you say we didn't look like scoring before the late scramble. McKay forced the keeper into a stunning save 1st half, Erwin's header was very well saved. A further 2-3 shots well saved from edge of the box and Flynn's chance was arguably the best of the lot. We definitely were a threat without playing at all well.

You're being very generous to their keeper. All of them were routine saves...

Guest nonaenever

First half was as bad as anything we have ever witnessed - EVER - we could not pass the ball, looked slow and laborious - it was truly awful. Last half hour or so was better but people get carried away and think that's signs of progress. We were SO bad first half that the second half, psychologically, makes some people think we played like Brazil! We didn't - the last half hour should be the minimum standard i.e. actually shooting and playing with a bit of intent - unfortunately we have a management team totally incapable of improving us - if you can't see that, then you don't know football - sorry.

First half was as bad as anything we have ever witnessed - EVER - we could not pass the ball, looked slow and laborious - it was truly awful. Last half hour or so was better but people get carried away and think that's signs of progress. We were SO bad first half that the second half, psychologically, makes some people think we played like Brazil! We didn't - the last half hour should be the minimum standard i.e. actually shooting and playing with a bit of intent - unfortunately we have a management team totally incapable of improving us - if you can't see that, then you don't know football - sorry.

You could've copied and pasted that from the Rochdale away thread and I'd not have known better.

Awful passing and lack of intent mainly.

Why the extremes?

"First half was as bad as anything we have ever witnessed ever" sorry "EVER"

No it wasn't.

"Some people think we played like Brazil"

Nobody has said anything close to that.

We are a poor side with too many poor players. However recent performances have shown some improvement.

The first half was poor but what's the betting the manager will start again with that lot and not those who improved us in the 2nd half.

Erwin and McKay have had enough chances, maybe time to leave both out and go with Ladapo and Flynn, who do at least look threatening around the opposition penalty area.

Not changing the way we play is Robinson's biggest faults, persisting with Erwin wide left, keeping faith with McKay who let's face it isn't good enough, he is going to lose his job for placing faith in players who will lose him his job, him and Barraclough are starting to look a bit clueless, hoofing it up front whilst other teams appear to play through us all the time, it's the urgency and desire that kills it for me though we are so much slower in our thought process than other teams it's painful to watch, prime example was a decent move between Dummigan and McLaughlin that freed McLaughlin who put in a peach of a cross yet there was only the hardly prolific Croft in the opposition penalty area, everyone else was 30/40 yards from goal. Why can't we commit bodies in attack? Are we actually playing for 0-0's at home?

The first half was poor but what's the betting the manager will start again with that lot and not those who improved us in the 2nd half.

Erwin and McKay have had enough chances, maybe time to leave both out and go with Ladapo and Flynn, who do at least look threatening around the opposition penalty area.

Erwin is close to being a good player. But he's not.

McKay is close to being a player. But he's not.

Ladapo has been appalling in his last two starts.

We have to accept that whichever striker we play it's like having 10-men.

Or 4-6-0, anybody?

My main worry is that we give Robinson until the end of January to bring in 4 players and get rid of those on short term contracts.

He strengthens the team but absolutely nothing changes because he won't change his tactics.

I still think we have a talented squad but another manager would immediately have us playing 20 yards further forward and you would see a difference immediately. Robinson won't do that...

Edited by palmer1

Slow and predictable play for the majority of the game again. Away team arriving again and getting numbers into the box when attacking. Certainly more than we ever dare to.

I think he's got six weeks to sort out his attacking play or he's gone. 90% of training time spent on attacking he says? Very hard to believe. If it's true it seems they're wasting a lot of time in training every week because it isn't at all effective.

We're getting better. Dummigan and McLaughlin have shown promise, although Dummigan had a really poor second half. We created some chance - Mckay at the near post, Erwin's header at the far post were both opportunities that you'd hope/expect your striker to put away, and Ladapo (I think it was him?) should have put his header miles into the back of the net in the scramble, there shouldn't even need to be a debate about whether it crossed the line.

I don't get Banks, at all. So lightweight, just waltzes around the pitch, pretending to want the ball, but having no impact at all.

Wouldn't be unhappy if we sent Erwin, Mckay and Ladapo all back in January, and picked up 3 different forwards. Their wages, plus the FA Cup money, means we should be able to get someone who can score.

Do players make team of the week for doing nothing wrong?

Clarke was the better of the 2 again making a match saving block in the 2nd half.

Clarke has the experience, as you must appreciate Burgess is still learning the game, some would say John Stones makes more mistakes than most centre backs, but won't deny he will improve.

Burgess has been a regular part of a defence that has kept lots of clean sheets and I thought yesterday Wimbledon were kept to limited chances.

He might go back in January anyway so we will see how things turn out.

He hasn't been a raging success, but IMO neither has he been a disaster.

Clarke has the experience, as you must appreciate Burgess is still learning the game, some would say John Stones makes more mistakes than most centre backs, but won't deny he will improve.

Burgess has been a regular part of a defence that has kept lots of clean sheets and I thought yesterday Wimbledon were kept to limited chances.

He might go back in January anyway so we will see how things turn out.

He hasn't been a raging success, but IMO neither has he been a disaster.

We've got the most clean sheets in the division.

I've made the point that our negativity and the quality of our goalkeeper are probably the biggest factors in that statistic, but like you say, the criticism Burgess has received has been unreasonable given that facts are facts.

Guest nonaenever

Why the extremes?

"First half was as bad as anything we have ever witnessed ever" sorry "EVER"

No it wasn't.

"Some people think we played like Brazil"

Nobody has said anything close to that.

We are a poor side with too many poor players. However recent performances have shown some improvement.

It was as bad as anything I have seen - so don't think that's extreme. Some lunatic walking up Sheepfoot Lane did actually say it was like watching Brazil for 20 mins second half - if he was taking the Micky fair do's - if not, he's deluded. I`ve seen no improvement in recent performances - you think Rochdale and yesterday is an improvement on what was on display at the start of the season? I`ve said it before and I`ll repeat it - we are regressing. The more our manager/coach impose their style on the players; the worse we look.