Summary of Questions Received - "Ask the Chairman"

Guest nonaenever

Fans can't and won't be able to run the club if we're just about able to find £5k to invest. I wouldn't be able to invest further when a manager cocks things up and needs paying off and then paying for a new one with new players etc.....I certainly wouldn't want to invest in anything TTA have anything to do with thank you very much. They have created the worst atmosphere and outlook at OAFC certainly in my living memory (and I'm 40!!).

When Moore tried to turn us over at least their were people who genuinely cared and we all rallied round the club.

I would only invest in the club if it meant owning everything related to the club (ground / stand etc). I, in no way, want to fund anyone that has created this set of circumstances and designed what has ruined us (face it that's what happened, we're never going forward on the pitch as as soon as something good happens it's sold).

So for me, I could invest but won't if it's just in the name OAFC and will still have SC and the other 2 to pay bills to.

Bearing in mind I truly love Oldham and I won't invest, how on Earth can we expect to find someone who doesn't!??

Hypothetical question:

How bad do things have to get for the x3 owners to sell everything for what they bought us for??

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

I`m just back from Lincoln - stayed overnight - and I must admit to being close to simply "throwing in the towel". The fundamental problem I have if I am being honest is that I don't rate our manager at all. We had nearly 2 weeks to prepare for that game last night and the first hour was as bad as I`ve seen - ever. We were woeful. Clarke should have been instructed (or took it upon himself as captain) to mark their "large" fella - and how on earth did Fane not start? Terrible team selection, no fighting spirit until too late, why did he not make substitutions at half time and simply instruct to throw the kitchen sink at them? You could go on and on - Robinson simply does not have it. 2 weeks to prepare - and that's the dross we produce - speaks volumes in my opinion.

Lee Croft was the only player capable of holding the ball and using a bit of guile - Lee Croft ! - love him to bits but, again, speaks volumes when someone like Lee is our best player by a considerable margin. Robinson wanted Erwin, Mckay and Ladapo - wanted them because he rates them highly - oh deary, deary me.

Some fans are very angry - some have now simply given up. What I`ve realised is "questions for the chairman" is futile at this moment in time - and will achieve nothing. I don't know what's going to happen to Latics - I admit to having been pretty close to tears last night - some might say that's pathetic but it does feel as though our football club is in terminal decline.

I`m just back from Lincoln - stayed overnight - and I must admit to being close to simply "throwing in the towel". The fundamental problem I have if I am being honest is that I don't rate our manager at all. We had nearly 2 weeks to prepare for that game last night and the first hour was as bad as I`ve seen - ever. We were woeful. Clarke should have been instructed (or took it upon himself as captain) to mark their "large" fella - and how on earth did Fane not start? Terrible team selection, no fighting spirit until too late, why did he not make substitutions at half time and simply instruct to throw the kitchen sink at them? You could go on and on - Robinson simply does not have it. 2 weeks to prepare - and that's the dross we produce - speaks volumes in my opinion.

Lee Croft was the only player capable of holding the ball and using a bit of guile - Lee Croft ! - love him to bits but, again, speaks volumes when someone like Lee is our best player by a considerable margin. Robinson wanted Erwin, Mckay and Ladapo - wanted them because he rates them highly - oh deary, deary me.

Some fans are very angry - some have now simply given up. What I`ve realised is "questions for the chairman" is futile at this moment in time - and will achieve nothing. I don't know what's going to happen to Latics - I admit to having been pretty close to tears last night - some might say that's pathetic but it does feel as though our football club is in terminal decline.

SC and the management will only churn out they are constantly working to make things better.

Fans will take it all with a pinch of salt and unfortunately we know in our hearts without major investment nothing will change.

Edited by BP1960

Nonenever..

You started something trying to rally the troops, get some answers and thats more than a lot of us... I for one am glad you have and hope you carry this on..

I understand your frustration after last night, and being close to tears shows passion... It's not pathetic at all.

If you give up.. Nobody would blame you but i for one hope you continue.

Edited by Fruitygoo

The fundamental problem I have if I am being honest is that I don't rate our manager at all.

...but it does feel as though our football club is in terminal decline.

I agree with an awful lot of that post. Last night was depressing and left me worried, not only about going down this season (which looks inevitable), but about how we'll come up short in League Two if we keep going the way we are.

But being close to tears and feeling that the club is in terminal decline doesn't come about by having a manager you don't rate, four months in. It runs a lot deeper than that.

We are far beyond crisis point.

I struggle to even listen on Latics Player any more - last night was a rare opportunity for me to see Latics on telly. Usually that involves a trip to the pub with a couple of mates and a bit of craic. I watched at home instead - and turned off at half time.

With that in mind, how people can pay good money to see the death of something they love is beyond me, but I admire them for doing it.

I don't have a solution - nobody does in my opinion.

And it is far easier to lose supporters than win them back - yet I feel like turning away from a club that is part of who I am and have been since childhood.

Just so very, achingly sad.

Nnn,I'm still 100% behind what you are doing. However I think the interview with Corney is a mere hoop to jump through now to cover our bases. Although not condoning the way in which the protest group went about things, I think there is a need to force corneys hand in leaving rather than trying to work along side him.

I still believe this should be done in a professional and above board manner but the focus needs to be ousting the club of this plague rather than trying to work alongside side them. How that's done is another debate

Nnn,I'm still 100% behind what you are doing. However I think the interview with Corney is a mere hoop to jump through now to cover our bases. Although not condoning the way in which the protest group went about things, I think there is a need to force corneys hand in leaving rather than trying to work along side him.

I still believe this should be done in a professional and above board manner but the focus needs to be ousting the club of this plague rather than trying to work alongside side them. How that's done is another debate

Spot on

I second this! Pressure needs to mount

So we oust Corney, and then what?

I've read people coming up with nonsense like "I'd rather we chance our arm with administration than carry on like this". Yeah, great strategy. While things could be as bad as they've been in living memory, I can't believe people would rather potentially wind the club up. That could potentially mean no more Latics - forever. 100 odd years of history gone, just because we're unhappy with the way the owner does things. Would that really bring satisfaction to some people?

Say Corney was right in his interview and he does have to find £300k to pay a bill for the club. Like Corney or loath him - who else in the world would be able find that sort of cash and be willing to pay off a debt for Oldham Athletic?

Say Corney was right in his interview and he does have to find £300k to pay a bill for the club. Like Corney or loath him - who else in the world would be able find that sort of cash and be willing to pay off a debt for Oldham Athletic?

You're looking at it the wrong way. Bills like this aren't a surprise, they're part of running a business. Competent owners budget and plan for upcoming debts, it shouldn't be a case of "having to find" the money. As such we don't need a white knight - we need people in charge who know how to run a business. Stability behind the scenes, a bit of ambition on the pitch - it isn't that hard.

Say Corney had planned the north stand better and had been honest about the cash available?

Say Corney had planned better and stuck to £4m build cost?

Say Corney had reviewed the business case and ensured there was a reasonable prospect of additional income to support the investment?

Say Corney had a plan to open the stand as a big event generating good publicity?

Say, Corney could have done a little better couldn't he?

And, btw, there are plenty of people who could raise £300k if needed. Koucash for one, but we wouldn't want an owner who over invests in players would we?

You're looking at it the wrong way. Bills like this aren't a surprise, they're part of running a business. Competent owners budget and plan for upcoming debts, it shouldn't be a case of "having to find" the money. As such we don't need a white knight - we need people in charge who know how to run a business. Stability behind the scenes, a bit of ambition on the pitch - it isn't that hard.

Easier said than done. The answer is not just get rid of Corney.

Say Corney had planned the north stand better and had been honest about the cash available?

Say Corney had planned better and stuck to £4m build cost?

Say Corney had reviewed the business case and ensured there was a reasonable prospect of additional income to support the investment?

Say Corney had a plan to open the stand as a big event generating good publicity?

Say, Corney could have done a little better couldn't he?

And, btw, there are plenty of people who could raise £300k if needed. Koucash for one, but we wouldn't want an owner who over invests in players would we?

But he didn't and we are where we are. So the answer is get rid of Corney and chance it with administration??

Koukash would give us £300k tomorrow, would he?

So we oust Corney, and then what?

I've read people coming up with nonsense like "I'd rather we chance our arm with administration than carry on like this". Yeah, great strategy. While things could be as bad as they've been in living memory, I can't believe people would rather potentially wind the club up. That could potentially mean no more Latics - forever. 100 odd years of history gone, just because we're unhappy with the way the owner does things. Would that really bring satisfaction to some people?

You haven't listened to what Philli has said...ramping up pressure and making Corney ramp up efforts to sell the club is very different to just wanting him gone.

Whilst football is not a very profitable business to be in there are ways money can be made to break even. Even after the latest info I think the price tag on the club is too much for the :censored: state and lack assets we have left (land/players)

My mind has never been clearer that the current ownership need to go in some shape or form before any prosperity can return. They have become masters of injecting just enough hope at the right times to keep enough fans on board. Corny will suggest this is them going above and beyond to save the club but think about it...

He openly admits we are punching above our weight in League 1 to try to set fan expectations Last year he makes the cheap option to appoint Holden after LJ when in a strong position, then again with Darren Kelly, then Dunn then he only spends when signs looked desperate with Sheridan. But when safety was secured he didn't fight to keep him. He only spends when he needs to...he however says he always seems able to find the money when the :censored: hits the fan, well if that's the case why not find it as the start of the season and plan for success for :censored:ing once?

You haven't listened to what Philli has said...ramping up pressure and making Corney ramp up efforts to sell the club is very different to just wanting him gone.

Guess I was thrown off by the "focus needs to be ousting the club of this plague rather than trying to work alongside side them" line...

Easier said than done. The answer is not just get rid of Corney.

Agree to some extent, but they claim to have been trying to leave for years now. As such maybe a new approach to the "let's try and find a buyer on our terms" one is required.

There doesn't appear to be any interest from the Chinese Investor Chi Ching so maybe the Chairman should consider following Basingstoke's lead by trying to sell Latics on eBay,

See http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38227594

The Ebay auction to buy the non-league club starts at 99p although we might struggle to meet that sort of reserve.

Guess I was thrown off by the "focus needs to be ousting the club of this plague rather than trying to work alongside side them" line...

You're fighting a losing battle.

Half the morons on here want us to be relegated to say I told you so.

They want us in administration or completely out of business just for some excitement.

They want the fans to buy the club thinking that between us all we would somehow have the cash to compete at the top end of the division against clubs that spend millions

They think that we're the worst run club in the football league

Not one of them has any idea what they want apart from Corney out. No idea what would happen to the club.

They want us to "increase the pressure to sell" despite Corney already trying his best to sell

In summary a lot of people on here chat absolute balls and have no idea about anything