Guest nonaenever

Richard - I fully appreciate what you say - trust me, I have never been as bored at home as this season. The point I was making though is this; have we gone beyond the pale? i.e. will the stay aways come back one day or have we lost most/all of them forever? It would be nice to have a "fans' day" of some sort - arranged by the fans - for the fans just to gauge whether we still have potential to draw them back - or whether we are, in fact, now just another Rochdale (no disrespect to Rochdale but even with relative success, and good entertainment, they cannot attract local fans through the door).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard - I fully appreciate what you say - trust me, I have never been as bored at home as this season. The point I was making though is this; have we gone beyond the pale? i.e. will the stay aways come back one day or have we lost most/all of them forever? It would be nice to have a "fans' day" of some sort - arranged by the fans - for the fans just to gauge whether we still have potential to draw them back - or whether we are, in fact, now just another Rochdale (no disrespect to Rochdale but even with relative success, and good entertainment, they cannot attract local fans through the door).

I fully understand what you are saying and applaud you for the work you are trying to do. But I know season ticket holders who are picking and choosing when they go under the current team management. Goals bring in supporters.

Why are we now comparing ourselves to Rochdale? A few years ago you'd be laughed out of town making such a comment, they have no history other than being :censored:e and have never really attracted crowds of around 20,000 like we did not too many moons ago, relatively they are doing alright whilst we continue to slide into the abyss comparing ourselves to all the tinpot clubs that seem to be passing us by.

I thought the whole enjoyment of that Royle era was the fact that we were tin-pot?

I think our delusions of grandeur stem from the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia. For every 'you tube' video of a rammed BP and a heroic victory, there were a hundred drab matches played out in front of mainly empty and windswept terraces - I know, I was there for a lot of them. Maybe tomorrow's fans will look back fondly at the demolition of Liverpool in the FA cup and imagine a wistful and long forgotten sepia era where Matty Smith ruled?

Yeah, the football is dire and we're as rock-bottom as I can ever remember. And traditionally, if we're tin-pot, then Rochdale are positively wattle and daub - so their current success most certainly rankles. But the fact remains that, without a plan, without a viable alternative and without investment we will, in all likelihood, drop out of the league. Now is the time for cool heads and common ground. The current animosity towards the ownership is most certainly due to the abject performances on the field, and understandably so. But it is also symptomatic of much wider modern day malaise - namely, internet, social media and the use therein of polarising algorithms. Any dialogue which can be set up outside of these constraints has to be encouraged and as such, I applaud the initiative of nonaenever who has had the balls to walk the walk (and not just talk the talk).

They weren't just pinch me years tho from 74 to 97 we didn't play our football outside the top 2 divisions. The Rochdale Burys etc we are not competing with now have never come close to sustaining that and I know it's the past but a few teams like Preston Bolton been considered big clubs of the past we don't know what our history would of been if WW1 hadn't got in the way. We was 1 win of the ultimate. I don't think any one has reached more FA Cup semi finals than latics and not won 1. Oldham is a big metropolitan borough with over 200k people living there. The potential is there that is not at Rochdale. Since football began our over all finishing position is just in the 2nd league still despite 20 years of league 1...so that says to me we are not a club from the bottom 2 leagues in history! We should be looking up not down. We was the 3rd team in Greater Manchester and everybodys 2nd club for the way we played. We was the blue print for the way fergie played at Man U to start his dynasty. We are not a tin pot club by history. My Grandad regaled me with stories of crowds bigger than advertised and being passed to the front after sneaking in after kick off. Stewards I knew telling me there was over 30k wen we won promotion and not the 20k always stated when we was all crammed in like sardines. Merry Christmas

Edited by OAFCinWolves

We'll probably never know the things that were "going on behind the scenes" - that's the very nature of such things; they tend to be confidential and happen in all walks of life, even our own (shakes the skeletons in his cupboard).

Does anybody think otherwise, though, than that the primary reason for John Sheridan leaving was because of a very attractive financial package that was offered to him? A package that we simply could not match. I remember it being said that we made an improved offer over his then package with us, so it's a fair bet that it was a "too good to refuse" financial package for him personally.

Whatever was going on behind the scenes doesn't appear to have put us in imminent danger - because we are still here. If it had been pending Administration, for example, who could have blamed him anyway. It wasn't - although that possibility is always a constant spectre looming over us, just because of our dire cashflow.

If I did have a Christmas wish, it would be for all "stay away" fans to come along against Port Vale on 2nd Jan - even if just for that one game - to show they care about Latics and give the owners and any potential buyers food for thought i.e. the potential is still there. I sometimes wonder if it really is or have we gone beyond the pale?

Aren't you supposed to be cross examining things like this in your meeting? This reads as a post from an apologist

I'd pack the idea in NNN. You'll just get stick off some bellend regardless of what you do.

I don't see the problem with people wanting to be sure where he's coming from if he's aiming to speak for fans. I understand that the Trust people he met with gave him some advice about not being seen as a stooge of the Chairman, I'm sure he took it on board.

I don't see the problem with people wanting to be sure where he's coming from if he's aiming to speak for fans. I understand that the Trust people he met with gave him some advice about not being seen as a stooge of the Chairman, I'm sure he took it on board.

No issue with that it's the tone certain people are using towards him when all he's trying to do is do fans a favour

Why are we now comparing ourselves to Rochdale? A few years ago you'd be laughed out of town making such a comment, they have no history other than being :censored:e and have never really attracted crowds of around 20,000 like we did not too many moons ago, relatively they are doing alright whilst we continue to slide into the abyss comparing ourselves to all the tinpot clubs that seem to be passing us by.

Our average attendance in the Premiership was 15,000 or so... Nowhere near 20,000 Edited by oafc0000

Where did i mention averages then? We did attract crowds if around 20,000 it's not a myth.

Don't think we have in my lifetime have we?

I think we had around 19,000 for the League Cup Semi Final in 1990, very much a one off.... Arsenal we only pulled in 14,000 on the same cup run... So you are going back at least 26 years...

I think I remember a 18,000 gate against United around 1991? We had less than 19,000 when we got promoted to the top flight against Wednesday. We got over 18,000 against City as well. And there was a hell of a lot of City and United fans in the home ends.

20,000 ? Not in my lifetime I don't think...

Edited by oafc0000

Guest nonaenever

Aren't you supposed to be cross examining things like this in your meeting? This reads as a post from an apologist

Amongst the 100 plus questions sent to me, unbelievably, there wasn't one about Sheridan leaving! However, don't worry - I will be asking anyway - it's just that I respect certain stuff (e.g. contractual - such as wages) may well be subject of confidentiality clauses, so I`m not holding out too much hope around certain details.

Apologies if I came across as an apologist.

Guest nonaenever

WBA 24 Apr 1976 22,356

Brought back a memory there! Last game of season I think - and they won 1-0 to go up. Has to be the most away fans I personally have ever seen at BP - the open end terrace at the Rochdale Road End (which was big back then) was literally packed like a can of sardines. Amazing scenes after the game - I think the police were glad that they had won !

League games:

Man Utd 28 Dec 1974 26,356

Bolton 26 Dec 1975 25,137

WBA 24 Apr 1976 22,356

Bolton 18 Feb 1978 20,810

Man City 20 Apr 1984 20,320

FA Cup:

Burnley 26 Jan 1974 22,350

The last 20k+ home gates I think.

So it was around 32 year ago... That is a VERY long time ago :) We once got something like 46,000+ at Boundary Park "not many moons ago" on that basis then :D 1930 :)

I am not really sure what it matters what a club was once like. All that matters is what that club is like today.

My little family club has gone from disaster to disaster, signed a player who killed behind the wheel, tried to sign at the time a convicted rapist and looks nothing like the club I fell in love with 30 years ago.

I would rather be a Rochdale fan... I would imagine the average Rochdale Fan has more to hold their head up high about than the average Oldham fan these days. We are largely despised throughout the game given the barrel scraping we have been doing over the last couple of years. We have sat back and allowed the club to be ruined by TTA. Anything we had of value has been sold off. The only thing left is the name and the registration of a ton of loan players.

Today we sit 24 out of 24 in League One... and we still think we are better than Rochdale... please people just please....

Edited by oafc0000

NNN, I was also at that WBA game. I remember being in the Chaddy End and at some point, can't remember when, maybe H/T, a line of WBA fans started running across the pitch towards us. I didn't think too much of it at first, then they got nearer and lots of people around me headed for the exits, so I temporarily joined them!

These are bleak days, but my Xmas present from my wife yesterday is 2 tickets v Port Vale next Monday with the exec hospitality in the North Stand included. In her case as a Masterchef fan she is going for Simon Wood's cooking, but I'll be there hoping for goals and three points, hope over experience etc.

I did point out we might be the only couple in the restaurant the way things are going.........

I'd pack the idea in NNN. You'll just get stick off some bellend regardless of what you do.

Always a pathetic insult from you. You're the one that uses "tone" to have a go at people you don't agree with. Anyway I thought you wanted to go to the meeting? So why suggest packing it in? Are you bottling out?

Amongst the 100 plus questions sent to me, unbelievably, there wasn't one about Sheridan leaving! However, don't worry - I will be asking anyway - it's just that I respect certain stuff (e.g. contractual - such as wages) may well be subject of confidentiality clauses, so I`m not holding out too much hope around certain details.

Apologies if I came across as an apologist.

Take a different tack? Eg mr Corney you said after the departure of Mr Sheridan that it was " probably the right time for him to leave". What did you mean by that?

Always a pathetic insult from you. You're the one that uses "tone" to have a go at people you don't agree with. Anyway I thought you wanted to go to the meeting? So why suggest packing it in? Are you bottling out?

Not a pathetic insult. The guy is trying to do something for the fans in his own time and still people are giving him :censored:. Definition of a bellend to me. What reason would I have to bottle out? Those are the ones SC called out. I don't try and hide that I think Corney gets a rough ride.

Not a pathetic insult. The guy is trying to do something for the fans in his own time and still people are giving him :censored:. Definition of a bellend to me. What reason would I have to bottle out? Those are the ones SC called out. I don't try and hide that I think Corney gets a rough ride.

Corney has clearly delivered and we are just all so ungrateful...

Listened to a podcast the other night where they talked about Guardiola regulating gym usage - told the players that they were only allowed to use the gym with City staff in attendance because he believed that too much muscle was detrimental to performance.

With that in mind, it seems even more silly to not try to have some sort of control over what players eat.