He would. Still don't want to see him back after summer

From the Notts County message boards;

"I know not to believe rumours until something happens but I have heard of a good mate that Notts are considering sacking shezza if we lose to donny and bringing Darren Wassell in........ As I say it's only a rumour I've heard and the bloke that's told me has no reason to make this up and give me any name out of the blue"

Edited by lookersstandandy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last one was to get a bite. You're so angry

Yeah, I know. That's why I said you were being deliberately thick. Good deflection tho! Can see why you think the sun shines out of Corneys arse. He's good at deflecting attention when looking an idiot too ?

Edited by boundaryblue80

With football being emotive like it is, I suppose I 'get' why people would have a grievance with Shez for leaving, but for me, even with the depressing nature of his departure, he has more than enough credit in the bank. He played for us for free, and even risked his health by coming out of retirement whilst approaching 40 with dodgy knees out of necessity by playing for us in the aftermath of that awful summer of 2003 (and was still an absolute class act, may I add!) and - granted, circumstances were different, but it was still a massive gamble - the records say we sacked him whilst being 4th (if memory serves) in the league back in 2009. Is 'loyalty' just a one way street? For better or worse, it certainly seems so with football.

All this grievance with badge kissing, chest thumping - I have no doubt whatsoever it reflects how he feels about us. You only have to look at his reaction after the Southend win that kept us up (seems so long ago now :disappointed:) I refuse to believe that this was the act of someone who, at the time, thought he'd be managing a different club come August. To fans of a certain era who missed the glory years (I myself only caught the fag end of it), he's as close to a legend as we have had in recent times. Perhaps this is what makes it so galling to some.

For someone who has given so much service & dedication to club as a player, youth coach, assistant & manager over 2 spells to want to walk away is a clear indication that something had gone drastically wrong between the time he was appointed & the time he left. I just can't accept the 'it was for more money' argument in isolation, and the mess that presided over the next 2 months with 4 (:censored:ing FOUR!!) contracted players etc just fuels the fire that something had gone massively south. Let's face it, as soon as that Season Ticket deal came out around Feb, alarm bells were ringing for a lot of people re our financial position.

What gets me most, is that if it was purely down to Shez leaving for more money as is mooted, is just the way the club seemingly bent over and accepted it. Clearly I'm not privy to the details of his contract, but it was widely believed to be a 2 year one - if Corney was that aggrieved, surely he could've played hardball, put him on gardening leave & hung him out to dry? Looked like he was pretty happy for him to move on without semblance of a fight, save for a contract offer we suddenly heard about at the 12th hour. I've never shuddered so much as when I read 'John goes with our blessing' - to a club in a lower division that was in a :censored:ing transfer embargo. What ambition we have.

Personally, would I have him back? In an absolute heartbeat, but unfortunately, with football being like it is, he's essentially now cut all ties with the club & I think he fully knew this when he signed for County.

What a :censored:ing mess.

Great post (apart from the f bombs :sign0007: ). There's one other critical thing which you didn't mention. There was a quote from Corney when Sheridan left something along the lines of "I can't blame John for leaving, there's things going on behind the scenes - which I can't reveal - which John knows about"

Great post (apart from the f bombs :sign0007: ). There's one other critical thing which you didn't mention. There was a quote from Corney when Sheridan left something along the lines of "I can't blame John for leaving, there's things going on behind the scenes - which I can't reveal - which John knows about"

Haha, I do apologise for the unnecessary F Bombs, Latics just seem to bring it out in me, even in written format :ranting:

Interesting, I don't actually remember that, but probably because I had my head in my hands at the time after the 'blessing' comment. I do find it odd that it's been widely accepted in some quarters that he supposedly left solely to unscrupulously feather his own nest, presumably riding off into the sunset with bags of money strapped to a Harley whilst sticking his fingers up in our general direction to go and kiss another club's badge, when all basic available info seems to point to an absolutely grim future at BP.

Edited by Chorlton_Latic

Aye, a lot of the anger and apathy stems from the lack of honesty - people aren't daft, we can see what is going on so why not just give us the full chapter and verse.

Not the first ex manager to say that.

No end in sight for the embargo.

Just looking at the geography of league 2, we're in the :censored: if we stay up with the current ownership but completely :censored:ed if we go down.

Be lucky if we get 2,000 next season...

Despite the suggestion from Corney that it was just a prudent way of managing cash flow. The uncertainty over whether it'll be lifted tells you that was bollocks.

Despite the suggestion from Corney that it was just a prudent way of managing cash flow. The uncertainty over whether it'll be lifted tells you that was bollocks.

Corney is a delusional nob jockey, his lack of interest, investment or knowledge of football is going to drive us to the same depths as Tranmere. The future looks very bleak., until he sells up and who's mad enough to buy something that will just take all your money for very little reward, his appointments of novice managers due to his low pay structure and terrible cast offs from other clubs has ensured we lack any ambition both as a club and in the town as only 3000 can be arsed turning up to support their local club due to the :censored:e being churned out week in week out. Rant over!

I remember that clearly and have often wondered why it became OWTB "fact" that it was just a plain case of Shez grabbing a fist full of dollars to move to Notts as the sole reason for departure.

I always had the impression that he left because the promised budget did not arise and that SC was tempted by a fee for Shez.

I doubt that Shez and SC would be unable to work together in the future, for SC many faults he seems to get along well with most people at a personal level.

I remember that clearly and have often wondered why it became OWTB "fact" that it was just a plain case of Shez grabbing a fist full of dollars to move to Notts as the sole reason for departure.

I always had the impression that he left because the promised budget did not arise and that SC was tempted by a fee for Shez.

I doubt that Shez and SC would be unable to work together in the future, for SC many faults he seems to get along well with most people at a personal level.

For a few posters it was never a 'owtb' fact but as usual we were told that we had to provide proof for the mcduffs

Edited by ChaddySmoker

Same people asking for proof were the same ones saying Shez was going nowhere. In any case Shez was contracted, just like LJ was there was little to be gained from either going other than the £ signs on offer.

Can you tell me a club who keep hold of their manager once he asked to speak to another club?

Guest nonaenever

We'll probably never know the things that were "going on behind the scenes" - that's the very nature of such things; they tend to be confidential and happen in all walks of life, even our own (shakes the skeletons in his cupboard).

Does anybody think otherwise, though, than that the primary reason for John Sheridan leaving was because of a very attractive financial package that was offered to him? A package that we simply could not match. I remember it being said that we made an improved offer over his then package with us, so it's a fair bet that it was a "too good to refuse" financial package for him personally.

Whatever was going on behind the scenes doesn't appear to have put us in imminent danger - because we are still here. If it had been pending Administration, for example, who could have blamed him anyway. It wasn't - although that possibility is always a constant spectre looming over us, just because of our dire cashflow.

If I did have a Christmas wish, it would be for all "stay away" fans to come along against Port Vale on 2nd Jan - even if just for that one game - to show they care about Latics and give the owners and any potential buyers food for thought i.e. the potential is still there. I sometimes wonder if it really is or have we gone beyond the pale?

We'll probably never know the things that were "going on behind the scenes" - that's the very nature of such things; they tend to be confidential and happen in all walks of life, even our own (shakes the skeletons in his cupboard).

Does anybody think otherwise, though, than that the primary reason for John Sheridan leaving was because of a very attractive financial package that was offered to him? A package that we simply could not match. I remember it being said that we made an improved offer over his then package with us, so it's a fair bet that it was a "too good to refuse" financial package for him personally.

Whatever was going on behind the scenes doesn't appear to have put us in imminent danger - because we are still here. If it had been pending Administration, for example, who could have blamed him anyway. It wasn't - although that possibility is always a constant spectre looming over us, just because of our dire cashflow.

If I did have a Christmas wish, it would be for all "stay away" fans to come along against Port Vale on 2nd Jan - even if just for that one game - to show they care about Latics and give the owners and any potential buyers food for thought i.e. the potential is still there. I sometimes wonder if it really is or have we gone beyond the pale?

for stay away fans to part with there twenty quid or whatever it is, there has to be some sort of entertainment on show from both teams, no just the visitors.