Why do local kids (or more likely their parents) prefer the Rochdale and Bury sets ups, anyone know?

Some do (and I've spoken to some of them) whereas some seem happy at Latics. My lad did a couple of years at OAFC, which was largely positive but you don't have to look too far to get both sides of the coin from pretty much any academy.

I noticed that Rochdale have a 14 year old that seems to be interesting bigger clubs to back up a good sprinkling of home grown talent in their squad at the moment but I'm not sure why that is. Although there's the occasional exception (such as Jaimie Stott), a good proportion of players that actually get offered scholarships seem to have spent a lot of their development elsewhere & we pick them up at u16.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Buckley.....released by Latics at 14 years old.....I rang Latics about him again and Richard Tait when they were 16 and being the outstanding players on the field against League youth teams when playing " a year young" in Curzon Ashton's youth team in the FA Youth cup.

To be fair the club came and watched buttold me they were lacking in certain areas......scroll forward a few months, and you will see Buckley playing for Rochdale at Wembley and being transferred for 7 figure sums while Tait signs for Notts Forest before moving om and playing on conference play off winning sides and in front of 75000 at Old Trafford and 40000 at Goodison. Now first choice at Motherwell

My point is that it one thing having a top coach in TP but it is another thing having muppets as scouts for the youth set up. The best example is me being told that a keeper looked a top prospect but his parents wanted him to stay on into the Sixth Form so we weren't interested . Man CiTy enrol such talent at St Bedes in Manchester....

Let's see them keep up their extensive network as pointed out by NewBlue when they fall back to our levels of expenditure...we can't do what Brentford are doing (and I wouldn't want them to either...short sighted for darker days) so we have to find alternative ways.

Youth has often proven to be a bloodline for us (even though we've sold out cheaply unlike Crewe, Posh and other clubs like us THEN sold the sell on clause) and now we've starved ourselves to the point that parents would rather send their kids elsewhere. But keep on justifying the unjustifiable.

I don't have a strong view either way to be honest but can see both sides of the argument, any excuse to have a pop at Corney though eh...

Will Buckley.....released by Latics at 14 years old.....I rang Latics about him again and Richard Tait when they were 16 and being the outstanding players on the field against League youth teams when playing " a year young" in Curzon Ashton's youth team in the FA Youth cup.

To be fair the club came and watched buttold me they were lacking in certain areas......scroll forward a few months, and you will see Buckley playing for Rochdale at Wembley and being transferred for 7 figure sums while Tait signs for Notts Forest before moving om and playing on conference play off winning sides and in front of 75000 at Old Trafford and 40000 at Goodison. Now first choice at Motherwell

My point is that it one thing having a top coach in TP but it is another thing having muppets as scouts for the youth set up. The best example is me being told that a keeper looked a top prospect but his parents wanted him to stay on into the Sixth Form so we weren't interested . Man CiTy enrol such talent at St Bedes in Manchester....

Yes Curzon do have a good youth set up and noticed several of Bury's current youth are now are training with the first team.

Hyde also used a couple from their academy last night (they have a development link with Rochdale).

What local schools do we get our prospects from ?

Let's not forget...Simon Corney singlehandedly worked to kill off our youth system some years ago. It was only thanks to Tony P who persuaded him to change his mind that stopped it happening. It's no wonder it's in a sorry state...TP must work miracles with what he has.

I thought it was more Dickov who wanted to get rid of it.

Am I right in saying they did it so they could focus on a select few talented individuals?

That's how I see Brentford bought a few decent lower League players & a couple of youngsters from Prem clubs on season long loans.

How very getting rid of Warburton was a mistake

Some do (and I've spoken to some of them) whereas some seem happy at Latics. My lad did a couple of years at OAFC, which was largely positive but you don't have to look too far to get both sides of the coin from pretty much any academy.

I noticed that Rochdale have a 14 year old that seems to be interesting bigger clubs to back up a good sprinkling of home grown talent in their squad at the moment but I'm not sure why that is. Although there's the occasional exception (such as Jaimie Stott), a good proportion of players that actually get offered scholarships seem to have spent a lot of their development elsewhere & we pick them up at u16.

I mentioned him on here few days ago Daniel Adshead.

Strange interview on LP. Don't normally read much into them but absolute refusal to answer any questions about anything past Fleetwood even when asked if players would need to leave before more come in seemed weird. Refused 3/4 times

His mate on Twitter, Gloster, seems very upset all of a sudden...

Strange interview on LP. Don't normally read much into them but absolute refusal to answer any questions about anything past Fleetwood even when asked if players would need to leave before more come in seemed weird. Refused 3/4 times

Perhaps.

May be upset over the threatening tweet. Never know.

You'd think Corney would just sack him now if he'd told him he wasn't right and had lost faith. What's one game away at Fleetwood with the same players going to change so drastically?

Perhaps.

May be upset over the threatening tweet. Never know.

You'd think Corney would just sack him now if he'd told him he wasn't right and had lost faith. What's one game away at Fleetwood with the same players going to change so drastically?

It's how Cirney does things he sacked dickov on the pitch at meadow lane yet kept him in charge for Liverpool and Walsall.

He'll have sounded out replacements and be trying to get Robbo's to walk citing mutual consent so he doesn't have to pay the full percentage of the contract up. It's how he does things. Dickov was sacked yet described as mutual consent - he was paid off but not in full.

At the end of the day I would be surprised if he acts before Mansfield as if we win that's the pay off right there

St Bede's, that takes me back. I played school football for Bury GS and we had a decent team but always used to get stuffed by them!

At least two of the bottom six clubs on Boxing Day have been relegated

In 2011/12, the bottom four clubs on Boxing Day were the same clubs that comprised the bottom four on the last day of the season.

In four of the last five seasons, the team that is bottom of League One on Boxing Day has been relegated.

It doesn't look great when you add in the fact that we have the lowest average of goals scored per game in the top 4 divisions.

And all them facts are from a time when you could still sign players past January 31st. Hence, longer to pull someone out of the bag (like we did last season in Feb) to pull you out of the :censored:.

I don't have a strong view either way to be honest but can see both sides of the argument, any excuse to have a pop at Corney though eh...

I'll have a pop at any :censored: who thinks shutting down the Youth system is a good idea! If you think that is just "any excuse" you really are a tool!