Southend game

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a mid table L2 budget at the moment. Relegation will mean less season tickets sold and reduce the budget further, Next season we will have a bottom half L2 budget, and players recruited will be the same as the lot we have now, some being worse. Crowds will fall further, until we have a bottom six budget and we struggle every year to stay in the league. Eventually the inevitable happens (like this season) and we fall into non league football with a mid table budget. And so it goes on. No-one in their right mind would buy the club without the land and income from the OEC, and the cost of that just isn't worth investing in.

The good thing is they could hardly be worse and on less money.

The reason why I felt deflated yesterday was the thought of four home games in January whilst watching and waiting for the changes in the squad that are obviously needed.

I have never left the ground before the final whistle. I accept our current problems are not helped by the £200 season ticket card I carry in my wallet.

I'm a football supporter because I pay to see my team play but I am also a consumer and expect to be entertained.

I've stopped going to the odd away match and I can see myself heeding the quiet voice in my head that is asking me why I am putting myself through this torture when I can pop down the road and watch Mossley instead.

I'm glad he's still "stealing a wage" - he's about the only positive in the last few games I've seen and actually looks like he cares in a team full of :censored:e.

It's typical of Croft this. He's started to put a few performances in just as his deal is about to expire. He's done nothing until about 4 or 5 weeks ago. I'd get rid...

I'd imagine someone has already mentioned this.... The moment I knew we couldn't be arsed to fight for it yesterday, was when banks kicked the ball out at 1 down because they had a player injured.

Under normal circumstances I'd understand, but their player was in no discomfort and was just watching the match, until there was a stop in play so, he could be subbed off.

Like many have said, I just expect a loss anyway and don't feel anything of any note after the match. Thought last year was a miracle when we stayed up, this year it's just improbable unless there's a massive change in playing staff in January, which I doubt will happen.

I'd imagine someone has already mentioned this.... The moment I knew we couldn't be arsed to fight for it yesterday, was when banks kicked the ball out at 1 down because they had a player injured.

Under normal circumstances I'd understand, but their player was in no discomfort and was just watching the match, until there was a stop in play so, he could be subbed off.

Like many have said, I just expect a loss anyway and don't feel anything of any note after the match. Thought last year was a miracle when we stayed up, this year it's just improbable unless there's a massive change in playing staff in January, which I doubt will happen.

Forgot about that. I was livid he put it out

Exactly, we used to chant, let him die, let him die. The worlds gone soft.

If ever there was a metaphor for the nature of this side, that was it.

12 goals in 21 games. :censored:ing pathetic.

To be fair it was probably a shot at goal that just happened to coincide with their man being down.???

Southend just looked a much bigger, physical and robust side. We look tiny and powderpuff in comparison.

In this league you need to have a big strong team - think Preston who were never that great but every player seemed bigger and stronger than the oppositions. Then eventually when they added some skill to that a la Daniel Johnson they were straight out of the league.

Law - short and slow

Clarke - physical, understandably got bullied by Ranger this week. Getting on a bit so going to deteriorate either this season or next.

Burgess - doesn't use his size, terrible with the ball at his feet

Dunne - terrible in possession.

Banks - the most powderpuff player in the team, doesn't know the meaning of the word tackle. Can't use his height either.

Green - used to be good, can tell he used to have a right engine on him and would have been here there and everywhere but too old now. No height.

Flynn - extremely lightweight. No height.

McLaughlin - at least has some pace to counteract the fact he's lightweight.

Ladapo - can't use his height properly, no first touch.

McKay - absolutely tiny, never going to win a header or outmuscle a centre half. Would be good in a team dominating a game but not one that is always under the cosh like us.

Winch - keeps possession but lightweight.

Croft - ditto but not in the literal sense.

Fane - got the physical attributes, still learning how to use them. Doesn't have the technical ones.

Every single player of ours has more faults than strengths, they are either terrible in possession or too lightweight.

the team has a distinct lack of pace through it, a lack of heading ability and a lack of creativity (apart from at set pieces).

The opposition always have stronger, faster, aggressive and more skilful players than us.

We are losing because we are one of the worst 4 teams in the league ability wise. it's not that the players are underperforming they just aren't as good as the opposition

Guest nonaenever

Clarke - physical, understandably got bullied by Ranger this week. Getting on a bit so going to deteriorate either this season or next.

Possibly our next player/manager (pretty soon?) - wouldn't surprise me at all in the circs

Southend just looked a much bigger, physical and robust side. We look tiny and powderpuff in comparison.

In fairness to Robinson, he did say that he will be looking for physical strikers in the next window.

I think he expected Ladapo to be the physical frontman, and while he may be strong, his first touch is as bad as I've ever seen of a professional attacker. Nile Ranger showed him up, as would big Jabo and Holloway if we ever faced them again. Massive upgrade on Ladapo required, but Robinson can do nothing until January.

Guest nonaenever

In fairness to Robinson, he did say that he will be looking for physical strikers in the next window.

Trouble is, this is the same Robinson who said Banks' "physical presence" would be good to have - would even make them think twice in the tunnel just looking at his size for a midfielder. My daughter's pet kitten would strike more fear into the opposition than Banks. I long ago stopped paying attention to anything Robinson says, I do not trust his judgement at all - I think he talks utter bollocks out of coaching manuals and hasn't a single novel idea of his own.

Whilst at the game yesterday, I couldn't quite believe how little grief the players were getting for what was a disgraceful performance...

I said this yesterday to a mate. Also about the manager. We sit bottom of the league in December and we can't score for :censored: yet people still defend him.

Trouble is, this is the same Robinson who said Banks' "physical presence" would be good to have - would even make them think twice in the tunnel just looking at his size for a midfielder. My daughter's pet kitten would strike more fear into the opposition than Banks. I long ago stopped paying attention to anything Robinson says, I do not trust his judgement at all - I think he talks utter bollocks out of coaching manuals and hasn't a single novel idea of his own.

Agreed

You'd probably echo Robinson if it was about Fane, who has almost the exact same physical profile as Banks, though...