Placide signed

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

But was your sole task to deliver results based on these staff? did you have a limited budget to work with?Apples and Pears.

Sheridan is the expert vs Corney in terms of what is needed on the pitch. If Corney was buying over and above Sheridans budget then fair enough, but we all know we don't have that luxury. I suspect corney is getting involved when he sees cash cows for the future, but at the same time is wasting budget that sheridan needs here and now in more important areas. 

Yes like most businesses we worked to a budget and had to deliver sales targets. Some staff delivered better than others, but all had to be managed to get the best out of them. Inevitably good and bad staff move on so it's a vicious circle.

At the end of the day the manager can get the axe, in my case redundancy and early retirement.

A football manager in the old days used to have trusted scouts and sign players himself to build the team he wanted. I think the difference now is agents have a big impact on player transfers.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

A football manager in the old days used to have trusted scouts and sign players himself to build the team he wanted. I think the difference now is agents have a big impact on player transfers.

To be fair you can understand owners wanting a share of the bungs back in the day when managers sorted it all out

There is no way we need another goalkeeper who is not the number 1 so this is clear circumstantial evidence that the purchase of players is not being properly coordinated.  With a larger budget it wouldn't matter so much if players were signed without the agreement of the Shez but we have, regardless of what Corney has said, a shit budget which has to be carefully managed to produce a balanced team.  This has not happened - again further circumstantial evidence that the budget is not controlled by Shez.

The signing of a goalkeeper who is shorter than me at 5'10" is nonsense in this day and age of footballers of ever increasing height.  If Shez gets the money to bring in the players he wants and that will only happen if the embargo is lifted in the next six days, all well and good after our poor start BUT that doesn't seem to be what will happen.  It would not be surprising if I am right to think Shez will soon be on his way.

Got to agree with your first sentence Hands On, but  from there we have differing views. The circumstantial evidence points to Sheridan not having a clue and it all fits in very nicely for him that people start to believe that its Corneys fault-which to be fair it invariably ends up being on this forum. We are not the only team in this league with a smallish budget and talking about budgets-how come Bury have managed to sign 2 again today BUT we are under an embargo?

Tend to agree with you about a goalie, but I do have previous on this forum stating that it is not such an important position as outfield players. There must be a decent non league goalie out there somewhere and the fact that we have no decent reserve team back up is shocking.

Let's not let our imagination run wild here folks.

We are a bang average L1 / L2 club here not a PSG or Man City where the transfer of players will generate millions in the chain via agent fees, resale amounts or shirt sales thus justifying the activity.

The aim of signing Placide to resell and skim is ludicrous.  It'll end up costing the stakeholders rather than profiting.

Lets just see this as it actually is; Corney is working with Abdallah Lemsagam to strengthen the team whilst remains in FFP guideline via investment.  If investment delivers new signings or sells the club then great.  If we sign a Placide in return for us securing Byrne from Wigan then happy days in my eyes.

Edited by Midsblue

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

If we sign a Placide in return for us securing Byrne from Wigan then happy days in my eyes.

But not in the management teams and the other players eyes which is more important to me, if this doesn't get resolved sharpish it could be a hammer blow.

We are a bang average L1 / L2 club here not a PSG or Man City where the transfer of players will generate millions in the chain via agent fees, resale amounts or shirt sales thus justifying the activity.

The aim of signing Placide to resell and skim is ludicrous.  It'll end up costing the stakeholders rather than profiting.

Lets just see this as it actually is; Corney is working with Abdallah Lemsagam to strengthen the team whilst remains in FFP guideline via investment.  If investment delivers new signings or sells the club then great.  If we sign a Placide in return for us securing Byrne from Wigan then happy days in my eyes.

No offence but I'd rather Shez and the players (and staff) were happy.

What if we don't end up signing someone like Byrne? What if we only keep getting this guy's triallists because he's 'investing'? This is a massive conflict of interest IMO and I wouldn't be happy if I was Shez. 

29 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

What if we don't end up signing someone like Byrne? What if we only keep getting this guy's triallists because he's 'investing'? This is a massive conflict of interest IMO and I wouldn't be happy if I was Shez. 

This is the fear. We're signing a player on a two year deal the manager doesn't seem to want. Possibly the third signing Shez didn't want. Won't end well if he can't sign his own targets. 

47 minutes ago, Clifford said:

This is the fear. We're signing a player on a two year deal the manager doesn't seem to want. Possibly the third signing Shez didn't want. Won't end well if he can't sign his own targets. 

The criteria is always are they better than what you have got?  he seemed to think so with the Belgian lad and it appears is not averse to the French keeper. I think he will definitely want Byrne.

What a depressing thread this has become.

Conjecture, hypothesis and quite probably downright fabrication.

Too many on here are happy to posit theories and interpretations based on scant evidence or hearsay.

I'm all for lively debate but this has gone way beyond that. 

A little knowledge edge is a dangerous thing. I'll wait for the facts.

*Shakes head in disbelief*

55 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Too many on here are happy to posit theories and interpretations based on scant evidence or hearsay.

Fair comment but there's no smoke without fire, my personal opinion is they won't be far removed from what's been posted on here.

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

So it is not clear at all-it is based upon nothing more than hearsay. As TheBigDog has posted this is all just conjecture-none of you know what is happening. Any smoke is coming from this forum not the club.

If you read that chron article and the direct quote and think shez wants this keeper (two year deal?) you may be a bit dense.

Edited by Clifford

2 hours ago, Clifford said:

If you read that chron article and the direct quote and think shez wants this keeper (two year deal?) you may be a bit dense.

A direct quote from who? One of his coaching staff-no names-again and now The Chron is the font of all that must be true. If you keep on believing 'fluff 'like this then more fool you. Still nothing "clearly" in all this.

11 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Amazingly some seem to know all the ins and out of this takeover, but never mentioned a thing till it was announced.  (Not referring to you BB80)