Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Fans have done with many managers.

Seems most our fans are behind him though, unlike penney, kelly, dunn etc

Sheridan had the fans backing, we wouldn't have called for his head like the above

Just now, robboman said:

Seems most our fans are behind him though, unlike penney, kelly, dunn etc

Even sheridan

They are, but fans are fickle and can make a board nervous when things aren't going right.

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

They are, but fans are fickle and can make a board nervous when things aren't going right.

True

But to get rid of wellens at any stage between now and end of season wouldn't make any sense to me at all

Let him pick the team, hopefully AL doesn't interfere. Shez alluded to that after he'd left

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

The Landlords wanted to make money out of the non-footballing side of the club, e.g. the land.

AL is capable of making money out of the footballing side, even if we were to remain in this division in perpetuity, there is no way he wouldn’t be able to resume his former career if he wanted to stop owning us. Nor will the other people involved, one of whom is his brother, prevent him from rejoining his former company. All the #FrenchLads are in the shop window and I bet AL, or perhaps more accurately his formerly company, gets a cut of any fees made. New players come in and the cycle continues. Those super agents who make millions from player sales don’t then have to fund a replacement, they just find them. Oldham Athletic is just a new shop window for his players. One that may prove very profitable for all parties in the right circumstances.

Fair comment. 

It’s a strange thing though, should one buy a football club at our level to make money? Wether it’s through land, or buying and selling players. Or should one buy it to be a good custodian and do best for the club?

Say If AL makes 500k through player sales- should he keep that? He’s certainly within his rights to- he invested in the first place. Or should that go back into football club? 

What I hoping for is a owner that is happy to break even. Enjoys owning a football club, and doesn’t see us as way to make a few quid. 

Been there. 

It was grim. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fair comment. 

It’s a strange thing though, should one buy a football club at our level to make money? Wether it’s through land, or buying and selling players. Or should one buy it to be a good custodian and do best for the club?

Say If AL makes 500k through player sales- should he keep that? He’s certainly within his rights to- he invested in the first place. Or should that go back into football club? 

What I hoping for is a owner that is happy to break even. Enjoys owning a football club, and doesn’t see us as way to make a few quid. 

Been there. 

It was grim. 

Player agent fees can go ten x 500k these days

If i was out to make money, i know which career id choose

Sorry i read that wrong. What i meant was if he was in it just for the cash then surely he would've been better off being an agent

Although If he gets us to being a stable championship club, you would've thought he'd double his investment

Just now, robboman said:

Sorry i read that wrong. What i meant was if he was in it just for the cash then surely he would've been better off being an agent

Although If he gets us to being a stable championship club, you would've thought he'd double his investment

I hope your right. An I don’t want to come across as sceptical of him. I’m just putting across what I’m hoping for. 

It’s a well known fact lower league clubs lose money hand over fist. But he knew that when he invested. If he can back us to  some form of success but has to sell a player to buy 3 players, then fine. But if we improve to say mid table initially, and our two players best players get sold. We’re back to square one. 

I just want some hope that we might some day do something. Rather than the barren landscape of the previous regime. 

4 hours ago, mickjagger said:

Sum the three amigos era up

1 Three stands need renovating

2 Fourth stand we have to rent for the use of on match days  :D

3 Pitch needs replacing & is not for purpose.

4 Poor training facilities.

5 Playing squad which has been poor for years .

We certainly have a lot to be thank full for.

With the attendances being so low, how did you expect the stands, the pitch, the training facilities, the first team squad to be improved??

While it’s not particularly exciting to have been in League 1 for as long as we have I still think we should be thankful to SC and the TTA for at least ensuring that we haven’t gone the same way as Stockport and Tranmere who were also in the same division as us up until a relatively short time ago.

Mr Lemsagam is starting from a position in League 1 and that’s a decent platform to start building from.

KTF and COYB. ⚽️

4 hours ago, Wardie said:

I don't think that is the case. Some fans just go to the football to actually watch the game and not give a toss about what goes on behind the scenes etc., as long as they can have their pint beforehand, grab a pie and be entertained [although that last requirement may have been lacking recently]. If the football improves with the new investment, then most fans will be content with just that and the politics of the new stand will be totally irrelevant to them. 

The politics of the new stand have always been irrelevant to me, I just want to go to Latics, watch a game, cheer them on and hopefully see them win.

Can’t understand some people’s obsession about what goes on behind the scenes.

I wonder if the fans of Rochdale, Bury, Bradford etc are equally obsessed?

i doubt it somehow.

Just watch the bloody game and cheer the lads on! ⚽️

2 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

With the attendances being so low, how did you expect the stands, the pitch, the training facilities, the first team squad to be improved??

While it’s not particularly exciting to have been in League 1 for as long as we have I still think we should be thankful to SC and the TTA for at least ensuring that we haven’t gone the same way as Stockport and Tranmere who were also in the same division as us up until a relatively short time ago.

Mr Lemsagam is starting from a position in League 1 and that’s a decent platform to start building from.

KTF and COYB. ⚽️

And we can thank him for for us not going the same way as Stockport and leaving a decent platform for the next bloke when he leaves as chairman in 2032 and we're still 19th in League 1. 

5 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

Frustratingly they have chucked money at the OEC the food is good the entertainment is good and the matchday experience is superb if only Corney and Co had run the rest of the club as professionally! 

When OEC opened standards of food etc were excellent, however over the Christmas period it was evident that while not bad standards had slipped compared to previous years. To me it seems that OEC is starting to operate in the same way that the football side has been run over recent years. 

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Fair comment. 

Been there. 

It was grim. 

There is a difference here, AL appears to have genuine affection for oafc, the same feeling we had when sticking with the club after first watching them.

I think RW is the same (we know TP is and to be fair SC) and I'm  hopeful this will lead to a great new era.

3 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

And we can thank him for for us not going the same way as Stockport and leaving a decent platform for the next bloke when he leaves as chairman in 2032 and we're still 19th in League 1. 

It’s easy to criticise from the outside and our only involvement is paying our £22 every fortnight or £300 for our season ticket. Why don’t you throw some proper money at it yourself and see how long it lasts!!

Corney has been far from perfect, he’d admit that himself, but we could have been in a far worse position.

6 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

KTF and COYB. ⚽️

Jesus, stockport and tranmere are exceptions and exceptions always exist. Look at the number of clubs which have grown, moved with the times, invested and  gone the other way to stockport and tranmere in the last 20 years.

Some may not be that far ahead of us in the league (many are) and some might be below us but so many of these clubs are better equipped to make the step up to the next level. They have in effect overtaken us in size and stature - better fan base, infrastructure and a presence in the town all of which have been eroded under corney. Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Brighton, Bournemouth, Swansea, Burton, Preston,  Oxford, chesterfield. I'd even extend it to Lincoln and wrexham.

Whilst great that we are still in league 1, we are a bottom half league 2 club in stature and SC has taken us there. That's the issue for me. Staying in league 1 is not the panacea and whilst it might be considered an achievement of sorts, it sits alongside a long list of failures under his regime. 

I was just having a nosey on companies house and noticed this https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10650744. LED media Ltd was incorporated around the same time that the new perimeter boards were installed. The sole shareholder is SC. Does the football club definitelty receive the advertising income from these electronic boards? 

Not throwing any accusations about, by the way. I’m genuinely interested. 

58 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

It’s easy to criticise from the outside and our only involvement is paying our £22 every fortnight or £300 for our season ticket. Why don’t you throw some proper money at it yourself and see how long it lasts!!

Corney has been far from perfect, he’d admit that himself, but we could have been in a far worse position.

sorry but thats guff.

Its akin to saying, well sir , you lost an arm and a leg in that accident but dont worry, it could have been worse you could of lost both arms.

TTA (and yes corney is still part of that littel gang), were and are strangling the club we love, why cant people see it?

9 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

On the other hand, we are not where Tranmere, Stockport, Darlington or even Scarborough (remember them?) are.

Don't think any of them have been known to be anything other than lower league two bob teams, we do have some recent history of operating at an higher level, to be fair to the teams you've mentioned none were founder members of the PL or enjoyed any success anywhere near what we had in the late 80's and 90's, for every Tranmere there is a Bournemouth, for every Stockport there's a Burton we could go on and on but the fact remains Corney and his associates have failed us and if anyone thinks the last decade of absolute failure should be something we can be proud of then you've lost the plot and thats before we even start to talk about the absolute mess he's left the club in.

6 minutes ago, rigsby said:

sorry but thats guff.

Its akin to saying, well sir , you lost an arm and a leg in that accident but dont worry, it could have been worse you could of lost both arms.

TTA (and yes corney is still part of that littel gang), were and are strangling the club we love, why cant people see it?

Agree.

worrying reflection of some people's outlook on life isn't it. Mere survival is not something to be thankful for. 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Don't think any of them have been known to be anything other than lower league two bob teams, we do have some recent history of operating at an higher level, to be fair to the teams you've mentioned none were founder members of the PL or enjoyed any success anywhere near what we had in the late 80's and 90's, for every Tranmere there is a Bournemouth, for every Stockport there's a Burton we could go on and on but the fact remains Corney and his associates have failed us and if anyone thinks the last decade of absolute failure should be something we can be proud of then you've lost the plot and thats before we even start to talk about the absolute mess he's left the club in.

Fair enough, except I didn't say we should be proud of the last decade, far from it. 

The fact remains, we still have a club to support and it was SC who kept it alive. By all means condemn the man for a lack of ambition, but would you have preferred another Chris Moore type owner? Unfortunately mega-rich businessmen with a desire to support/transform struggling L1 clubs are thin on the ground. 

It's now a new era and let's hope AL can help build a successful club over time.

32 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Jesus, stockport and tranmere are exceptions and exceptions always exist. Look at the number of clubs which have grown, moved with the times, invested and  gone the other way to stockport and tranmere in the last 20 years.

Some may not be that far ahead of us in the league (many are) and some might be below us but so many of these clubs are better equipped to make the step up to the next level. They have in effect overtaken us in size and stature - better fan base, infrastructure and a presence in the town all of which have been eroded under corney. Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Brighton, Bournemouth, Swansea, Burton, Preston,  Oxford, chesterfield. I'd even extend it to Lincoln and wrexham.

Whilst great that we are still in league 1, we are a bottom half league 2 club in stature and SC has taken us there. That's the issue for me. Staying in league 1 is not the panacea and whilst it might be considered an achievement of sorts, it sits alongside a long list of failures under his regime. 

Wrexham!! Lol

Theyre in the National League!!

In fact Wrexham are playing Tranmere today. God only knows what you’d think about Corney if we were playing in the National League! ???

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's our ability to compete long term with the teams around us that corney has killed. The oxfords and doncasters of this world are light years ahead of us, never mind the Burtons, bournemouths etc. 

Archived