Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

Such a weak response. It’s all you ever have. 

You’re obsessed with Corney. It’s not healthy. Don’t understand, like the vast majority here, why you can’t just move on? Support the club, support the new owner. He owns the club. It’s not difficult to understand. Let’s see how it pans out. 

The definition of irony is when you accuse others of myopia. Corney hasnt gone and some people are not happy with that!

Nobody is accusing AL of anything and we are all willing to give him a chance and back him and hopefully his success will be our success.

32 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Simply not true. 

But it isn't far off. Our average gate in 2003/04 was 6556. Our average gate this season (remember we've played most of our big home games) is 4603. It was 4514 last season. That's 2000 fans. Not all of those will have gone because of the boring, crap football. Corney and the Landlords have to take some blame for their poor decisions. 

I may have missed this but did anyone really ask Lemsagam the question "why"?

We've had his interview that he's fallen in love with the club etc etc.  Also I'm not for one second criticising him for investing in the club but any return on investment is significantly long-term if a return truly exists.

The P&L that he's inherited must be a daily loss and that's before he adds to our expenditure by further strengthening the team.  He doesn't own the land or stands so no income from that.  He's having to pay rent.  ST income spent ages ago.  Only income I can see if matchday and that'll be minimal.

It would be interesting to know what his wealth is or who his backers are.  The EFL due diligence hopefully addressed this to secure our long-term future and if Corney was true to his word (yes snipers I know) then this was a deciding factor to handing over the club.

I seriously cannot see that he's bought our club to advertise his players in the shop window and sell for a profit (as some suggest).   We're not talking multi-million transfers here but nominal fees - even Byrne we'd be paying most of it back to Wigan.

The only conclusion I can reach is that he's a football nut and he has a little bit of money that's he happy to lose in return for playing football manager.  Ambition being a possible flirtation in the Championship but simply the opportunity to watch his club play football - win, lose or draw but hopefully win.  Similar I guess to the Nevilles, Scholes and Butt at Salford.

Just now, rudemedic said:

But it isn't far off. Our average gate in 2003/04 was 6556. Our average gate this season (remember we've played most of our big home games) is 4603. It was 4514 last season. That's 2000 fans. Not all of those will have gone because of the boring, crap football. Corney and the Landlords have to take some blame for their poor decisions. 

You are right, the team needs success to increase the fan base.

I'm not going to get involved with the thanks/piss off Corney debate. It's been done to death and, quite frankly, it's got very boring. I have my opinions and I'll hang on to them. But, the comparisons made with other teams don't always stack up.

Aside from the wealth of the respective owners, the likes of Bournemouth, Swansea, Burton, Oxford and Doncaster don't have Premier League clubs within a half hour or so bus ride away. How far is the Etihad from BP? 5 miles? OT from BP - 12, maybe 14 miles? Now look at the other clubs mentioned and make the comparison with their distance from the Greedy League teams.

It makes a huge difference. Look at Bristol Rovers; they regularly have gates of seven, eight or nine thousand and that's with the red half filling their ground every week. Why? because it's a city with a population of just shy of 1/2 million and no other club in any of the top four divisions within 40 miles (except Forest Green Rovers, maybe). So, to compare OAFC with the likes of those above just doesn't stack up. Our fan base is eroded by many things but, IMO, the "attraction" of the big boys just down the road has a greater impact on us than most League 1 and 2 clubs.

Maybe the same applies to Rochdale and Bury too.

15 hours ago, rigsby said:

Good luck AL !!

I'm still scratching my head as to his motives about buying a club without any assets whatsoever tho?

Imnot telling others what to do but i for one will not go near OEC while the strippers are involved!!

What about if you were offered a free match ticket?  Btw this is not an offer?

15 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

So “half” is nowhere near true then from a cherry picked peak. The average in 2001 was 4972. You can’t just make stuff up. 

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Don't know about other newspapers, but not a mention today about the takeover in the comic that is the Daily Mirror.

Why would they? Oldham Athletic is not a big club, football wise.
It's the apparent "scandal" the newspapers love to thrive on...and people just eat it up like it is the gospel truth.

To me, social and mainstream news media is a total anathema, manipulated for the masses.

A complete joke, mostly.

26 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I'm not going to get involved with the thanks/piss off Corney debate. It's been done to death and, quite frankly, it's got very boring. I have my opinions and I'll hang on to them. But, the comparisons made with other teams don't always stack up.

Aside from the wealth of the respective owners, the likes of Bournemouth, Swansea, Burton, Oxford and Doncaster don't have Premier League clubs within a half hour or so bus ride away. How far is the Etihad from BP? 5 miles? OT from BP - 12, maybe 14 miles? Now look at the other clubs mentioned and make the comparison with their distance from the Greedy League teams.

It makes a huge difference. Look at Bristol Rovers; they regularly have gates of seven, eight or nine thousand and that's with the red half filling their ground every week. Why? because it's a city with a population of just shy of 1/2 million and no other club in any of the top four divisions within 40 miles (except Forest Green Rovers, maybe). So, to compare OAFC with the likes of those above just doesn't stack up. Our fan base is eroded by many things but, IMO, the "attraction" of the big boys just down the road has a greater impact on us than most League 1 and 2 clubs.

Maybe the same applies to Rochdale and Bury too.

It will be interesting  to see next season if our gates increase when the big local clubs could be playing at 7:45pm on a Saturday night.

3 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Why would they? Oldham Athletic is not a big club, football wise.
It's the apparent "scandal" the newspapers love to thrive on...and people just eat it up like it is the gospel truth.

To me, social and mainstream news media is a total anathema, manipulated for the masses.

A complete joke, mostly.

My gripe Wardle is they cover the pages with massive old pictures yet can't find a few words for what is news.

22 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

So “half” is nowhere near true then from a cherry picked peak. The average in 2001 was 4972. You can’t just make stuff up. 

'Cutting a fan base in half' is a completely different measure to 'halving a clubs average attendance.' Come on, get up to speed  :dunce:. It's getting very boring.

59 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Don't know about other newspapers, but not a mention today about the takeover in the comic that is the Daily Mirror.

Little snippet in The Sun, with quotes from AL saying he won't go over Wellens' head to make signings. Call me a cynic, but I am calling that out as bollocks...

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Most of those teams owners or chairman I reckon all have more cash than Corney...

Doncaster chairman worth over 30mil

Scunthorpe chairman worth over 340mil

Brighton chairman 1.7 billion

Bournemouth over 100mil

Swansea owners over 600mil

Burton probably similar

Preston owner 900mil

Oxford unsure

Chesterfield 80mil

Lincoln unsure. Below us

Wrexham supporters trust. Below us

So out of those only Burton are impressive compared to us

Nothing from Andy B in response?

56 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Nothing in the Sport section in the Telegraph but I havent checked the Money pullout yet

At last something useful from the thread. Mr Smoker reads the paper that swore to keep Mrs Thatcher's flag flying high after she left!

35 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

'Cutting a fan base in half' is a completely different measure to 'halving a clubs average attendance.' Come on, get up to speed  :dunce:. It's getting very boring.

Yes it is. Neither has happened though. 

6 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Nothing from Andy B in response?

We have been overtaken by countless clubs. What's behind their ability to achieve that is not something I am party to.

Fact is we have declined on all fronts under SC, other than our league position. Plenty have gone the other way, many have stayed about the same. Few have declined. Simply making the point that the 'we could have done a tranmere' argument doesn't really stack up for me. They and stockport are very much an exception to the rule.

We could have done a tranmere/stockport without corney. Law of averages says we probably wouldn't though.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

It’s not a cherry picked peak. It is what the Landlords inherited. For some of 2001 we were still owned by JW Lees. To have a worst attendance record than them shows you how badly the Landlords have run the club at times over the years.

Your definition of nowhere and mine are pretty far apart too.

15 minutes ago, Andy b said:

We have been overtaken by countless clubs. What's behind their ability to achieve that is not something I am party to.

Fact is we have declined on all fronts under SC, other than our league position. Plenty have gone the other way, many have stayed about the same. Few have declined. Simply making the point that the 'we could have done a tranmere' argument doesn't really stack up for me. They and stockport are very much an exception to the rule.

We could have done a tranmere/stockport without corney. Law of averages says we probably wouldn't though.

Their ability to do that us clearly many millions of pounds apart from Burton as shown in the wealth of their owners...

Archived