Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

1 minute ago, Worcester Owl said:

Fair enough, except I didn't say we should be proud of the last decade, far from it. 

The fact remains, we still have a club to support and it was SC who kept it alive. By all means condemn the man for a lack of ambition, but would you have preferred another Chris Moore type owner? Unfortunately mega-rich businessmen with a desire to support/transform struggling L1 clubs are thin on the ground. 

It's now a new era and let's hope AL can help build a successful club over time.

Agreed! 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gary1906 said:

Wrexham!! Lol

Theyre in the National League!!

In fact Wrexham are playing Tranmere today. God only knows what you’d think about Corney if we were playing in the National League! ???

Both will be back in the EFL soon with significantly better fan bases than us. I do not fear relegation out of the football league. Look at Luton, Lincoln, shrews, Oxford and Bristol rovers. No long term harm done and they have had a few promotions to celebrate on the way. Happy days for them. See the bigger picture.

3 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Both will be back in the EFL soon with significantly better fan bases than us. I do not fear relegation out of the football league. Look at Luton, Lincoln, shrews, Oxford and Bristol rovers. No long term harm done and they have had a few promotions to celebrate on the way. Happy days for them. See the bigger picture.

If they’ve got significantly better fan bases than us then they must have been mis-managed even worse than us.

They've obviously had better attendances and consequently more revenue to work with, and yet they’ve still ended up

lower than us at different times.

I’ll ask again, what would people have said about Corney if he had led us into the National League?? Instead he’s managed to at least keep us where we are, with little or no additional investment from elsewhere. No easy task I would say, but certainly a thankless one.

46 minutes ago, rigsby said:

sorry but thats guff.

Its akin to saying, well sir , you lost an arm and a leg in that accident but dont worry, it could have been worse you could of lost both arms.

TTA (and yes corney is still part of that littel gang), were and are strangling the club we love, why cant people see it?

FFS change the record. It’s over.

Forget it and move on, you can’t change the past.  I said you and others would be miserable and lost when this was concluded and here you are perpetuating it. 

37 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Agree.

worrying reflection of some people's outlook on life isn't it. Mere survival is not something to be thankful for. 

That's also Corney's doing. He's been telling us that long we're punching that people have started to believe it. Played a massive part in him getting very little shit (all things considered) over the years.

Just now, longtimeblue said:

That's also Corney's doing. He's been telling us that long we're punching that people have starred to believe it. Played a massive part in him getting very little shit (all things considered) over the years.

And? So what are you going to do about it? Keep going on and on and on about it?  Forget it, look forward, cheer up. 

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Brighton, Bournemouth, Swansea, Burton, Preston,  Oxford, chesterfield. I'd even extend it to Lincoln and wrexham.

Most of those teams owners or chairman I reckon all have more cash than Corney...

Doncaster chairman worth over 30mil

Scunthorpe chairman worth over 340mil

Brighton chairman 1.7 billion

Bournemouth over 100mil

Swansea owners over 600mil

Burton probably similar

Preston owner 900mil

Oxford unsure

Chesterfield 80mil

Lincoln unsure. Below us

Wrexham supporters trust. Below us

So out of those only Burton are impressive compared to us

14 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

FFS change the record. It’s over.

Forget it and move on, you can’t change the past.  I said you and others would be miserable and lost when this was concluded and here you are perpetuating it. 

It's not over though is it. He is still around the club. 

30 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

If they’ve got significantly better fan bases than us then they must have been mis-managed even worse than us.

They've obviously had better attendances and consequently more revenue to work with, and yet they’ve still ended up

lower than us at different times.

I’ll ask again, what would people have said about Corney if he had led us into the National League?? Instead he’s managed to at least keep us where we are, with little or no additional investment from elsewhere. No easy task I would say, but certainly a thankless one.

I would say cutting a fan base in half is a more accurate indication of mismanagement than relegation. 

I wouldn't want to be in national league with corney at the helm. Bloody hell that would be a bad situation.

that is a different thing to relegation being inherently disastrous per se.

In the national league with a responsible owner (not a billionaire by any means) who cares about the club wouldn't be something to fear. We'd get back as per the examples I sited. National league with corney at the helm? God no

at the end of the day, is league one survival more important than the integrity of the club and the fans having a hope for the future?

If no (as is my view) then corney has been a disaster. If you think it is then he is doing the business.

Quite simple really.

Relegation to the National League, regardless of the owner, is not something I would want to risk.

Corney is far from the sole reason we've lost fans - our fan base has been on the decline since our last season in the Premier League.

9 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I would say cutting a fan base in half is a more accurate indication of mismanagement than relegation. 

I wouldn't want to be in national league with corney at the helm. Bloody hell that would be a bad situation.

that is a different thing to relegation being inherently disastrous per se.

In the national league with a responsible owner (not a billionaire by any means) who cares about the club wouldn't be something to fear. We'd get back as per the examples I sited. National league with corney at the helm? God no

at the end of the day, is league one survival more important than the integrity of the club and the fans having a hope for the future?

If no (as is my view) then corney has been a disaster. If you think it is then he is doing the business.

Quite simple really.

Simply not true. 

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Relegation to the National League, regardless of the owner, is not something I would want to risk.

Corney is far from the sole reason we've lost fans - our fan base has been on the decline since our last season in the Premier League.

I remember fans moaning from the stands when Graeme Sharp was in charge, back in 1994 and saying that another relegation would spell the end of the club. I think Warnock took over and could not prevent it happening, after a few previous near misses under Sharp. The crowds, as you say, were already in decline. Standing in the shadow of City and United and the access to football on Sky really stuck the knife in. I'm not even sure if Latics received any form of parachute payment, as is the case nowadays.

It beggars belief that, now the takeover has been concluded and we have to go with it...hopefully on an upward curve...some of us are seemingly unwilling to just sit tight and see what happens next, without muck-raking the past. Perhaps it is inherent in their personalities, I don't know...or care. I just want to watch the football and enjoy it and yes, avoid relegation.

Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

It's our ability to compete long term with the teams around us that corney has killed. The oxfords and doncasters of this world are light years ahead of us, never mind the Burtons, bournemouths etc. 

This is Oxford, Doncaster and Burton now, let's see if they can go higher or lower.

2 minutes ago, rigsby said:

I really wouldnt bother with kowenicki...

Evidently hes some kind of plant.

Such a weak response. It’s all you ever have. 

You’re obsessed with Corney. It’s not healthy. Don’t understand, like the vast majority here, why you can’t just move on? Support the club, support the new owner. He owns the club. It’s not difficult to understand. Let’s see how it pans out. 

2 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Such a weak response. It’s all you ever have. 

You’re obsessed with Corney. It’s not healthy. Don’t understand, like the vast majority here, why you can’t just move on? Support the club, support the new owner. He owns the club. It’s not difficult to understand. Let’s see how it pans out. 

We obsess cos we care. 

Archived