Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

29 minutes ago, leeslover said:

At last something useful from the thread. Mr Smoker reads the paper that swore to keep Mrs Thatcher's flag flying high after she left!

I only buy the Daily Mirror for my wife, she likes the the TV guide. I'll stick to twitter, all human nature is on there.  

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

It’s not a cherry picked peak. It is what the Landlords inherited. For some of 2001 we were still owned by JW Lees. To have a worst attendance record than them shows you how badly the Landlords have run the club at times over the years.

Your definition of nowhere and mine are pretty far apart too.

If we let people into the next game for free how many do you think we would get? We got nearly 14k  with people locked out when we did this in 2003.

we'd get 8-9k tops if we did it today

The club no longer exists to most of the town. The decline in fan base is very real

3 minutes ago, Andy b said:

If we let people into the next game for free how many do you think we would get? We got nearly 14k  with people locked out when we did this in 2003.

we'd get 8-9k tops if we did it today

The club no longer exists to most of the town. The decline in fan base is very real

Disagree, we did it around 2-3 years ago on a tues night didnt we? All home stands were full!

41 minutes ago, Andy b said:

We have been overtaken by countless clubs. What's behind their ability to achieve that is not something I am party to.

Fact is we have declined on all fronts under SC, other than our league position. Plenty have gone the other way, many have stayed about the same. Few have declined. Simply making the point that the 'we could have done a tranmere' argument doesn't really stack up for me. They and stockport are very much an exception to the rule.

We could have done a tranmere/stockport without corney. Law of averages says we probably wouldn't though.

If we were 17th in league 1 and 14 years later we are 17th in league 1 then surely the maths says that exactly the same amount of teams are ahead of us then as are now :lol:.

So Stockport and Tranmere while their cases are the most extreme cases they are the not exceptions to the law. So I dont think we have "declined on all fronts" stagnated Yes! Seen far too many false dawns definitely, but declined on all fronts not really.

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

At last something useful from the thread. Mr Smoker reads the paper that swore to keep Mrs Thatcher's flag flying high after she left!

He’s merely following the only only valid thing Thatcher ever said or did when she said the first paper she read every morning was the Morning star 

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

I only buy it for the letters page to check how our retired army officers are doing in the home counties!  (And the obits for when they reduce in number.) 

57 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I only buy the Daily Mirror for my wife, she likes the the TV guide. I'll stick to twitter, all human nature is on there.  

Mostly sub-human.

Still trying to get blocked again by Trump. As such, I can probably include myself as one of the subbers 

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Disagree, we did it around 2-3 years ago on a tues night didnt we? All home stands were full!

The crowd vs Peterborough was nowhere near the scale what it was for the Grimsby game. Admittedly the Grimsby game was on a weekend rather than midweek and there was still hope but BP was rammed that day, people resorted to standing on the old terraces in the main stand if they could get in the ground.  I genuinely believe the fan base has been eroded massively over the last 14 years. Not all the landlords’ fault but they’ve played a big part.

7 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

The crowd vs Peterborough was nowhere near the scale what it was for the Grimsby game. Admittedly the Grimsby game was on a weekend rather than midweek and there was still hope but BP was rammed that day, people resorted to standing on the old terraces in the main stand if they could get in the ground.  I genuinely believe the fan base has been eroded massively over the last 14 years. Not all the landlords’ fault but they’ve played a big part.

Oh absolutely I agree, I had a season ticket and they wouldn’t let me in, my fault for arriving at 14:55. There were thousands locked out that day, however I still think we’d fill the stadium if we ever did a free saturday game, unfortunately it would be full of people who would never return, but the people of Oldham love a good freebie. 

On 12/15/2017 at 1:17 PM, oafc_lover said:

Even if AL only had a similar wealth to Corney, his contacts in the game are so exciting (going off his old Instagram photos) and given Moisley said he also has a commercial background, I’m looking forward to seeing some good sponsorship deals in the future which can hopefully propel us. 

Also given he seems to have a good stature in the game, my betting is when the time eventually came for him to move on, he’d have a much better chance at getting us that oil rich tycoon we all crave than Corney ever had.

http://sport-maroc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Abdallah-Lemsagam-Arsene-Wenger.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ha. People were pissed off because he didn't sell to him

People were pissed off because they’d had enough of Corney’s austerity measures and were desperate for any dope in a suit to rock up in his place.

44 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

At the time I was keen for Koukash’s involvement. 

But we’ve dodged a real bullet there.

still would love to know what AL’s plans for the club...

I imagine his immediate plans would be League One survival and then take it from there.
Koukash, with hindsight, was definitely a near miss.

15 hours ago, Wardie said:

I imagine his immediate plans would be League One survival and then take it from there.....

...that’s not really a plan, merely a statement that sums up the present situation. 

Some of us - I accept not everybody feels the same - would like to know how he intends to improve us, assuming he wishes to do that, unlike the previous regime who saw maintaining League One status as a worthy achievement.

Maybe now isn’t the time, but I think it would be a wise PR exercise to put some (not anything that compromises his negotiating position, with either other limited companies we are competing with nor other suppliers he may wish to buy services from) meat on the bones. I hope to hear from him in that regard over the summer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2018 at 10:32 PM, lookersstandandy said:

Some of us - I accept not everybody feels the same - would like to know how he intends to improve us, assuming he wishes to do that, unlike the previous regime who saw maintaining League One status as a worthy achievement.

What previous regime?

AL has only acquired less than a 50% interest, with a 50% share of the voting rights. He cannot change anything.

Archived