Peterborough (H)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Telling you there is a player in fane. Like mike Milligan not great passer but wins the ball back time and time again. Ground he covers is immense. 

Struck me first half that Byrne got really angry when Fane misguided a pass which would've created an attack from some intricate passing. Think players have to get used to his limitations.

League 1 is definitely his limit, but Byrne is almost the perfect partner for him: drops deep a lot which makes every pass more simple for Fane, meaning he doesn't have to get exposed playing between the lines.

Just now, NewBlue said:

Struck me first half that Byrne got really angry when Fane misguided a pass which would've created an attack from some intricate passing. Think players have to get used to his limitations.

League 1 is definitely his limit, but Byrne is almost the perfect partner for him: drops deep a lot which makes every pass more simple for Fane, meaning he doesn't have to get exposed playing between the lines.

Equally when Byrne didn't receive the ball he stood there and made no attempt to win it back. We had 3 up front really such is lack of effort off the ball.

He's a wonderful talent on it mind. Last night was more proof that Fane should be one of the first names on the team sheet. He's a brilliant ball winner.

Also, first half when Davies shouldered that lad into next week - we've got a bit of both this season, which is great. And Clarke had his chest out when we were leading which was vintage him and we've missed that. Gerrard on sidelines barking out orders too. We've got a bit of grit in this side as well as quality.

6 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Telling you there is a player in fane. Like mike Milligan not great passer but wins the ball back time and time again. Ground he covers is immense. 

I'm not getting into this debate with you again. But there isn't. He played very well last night. But that's about it. Even Mark Hotte had the odd good game...

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Wilson pushed him in the back. Definite pen and definite red card...

Seriously?  The video clearly shows Maddison check where Wilson was, then slow his run and jump across into his path.  Then plant 2 feet down and throw his arms forward as soon as he felt the touch on his back, if not just before.

Wilson couldn't avoid the collision, Maddison deliberately engineered the contact then threw himself to the ground.  Blatant cheating.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Seriously?  The video clearly shows Maddison check where Wilson was, then slow his run and jump across into his path.  Then plant 2 feet down and throw his arms forward as soon as he felt the touch on his back, if not just before.

Wilson couldn't avoid the collision, Maddison deliberately engineered the contact then threw himself to the ground.  Blatant cheating.

Isn't that what all good players do?

Just now, Latics_Fanatic said:

So?  A lot of players do it.  Doesn't make it the correct decision.

Some good players would have just carried on their run in on goal and scored.

Until they start dishing out retrospective 3 match bans to people found guilty of cheating it'll carry on too.

13 minutes ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

Just to add to this, what good players do is cut across the defender but continue their run (especially a right footed player in that situation).  Then if they get fouled then fair enough, if not they're clear and central.

What cheats do is cut across then put feet together and dive forward unnaturally at the first sniff of contact.  He wasn't trying to score, he was trying to win a penalty and a red card.

There's a difference.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Wilson pushed him in the back. Definite pen and definite red card...

It was clever play but it's definitely debatable. Threw himself at Wilson hoping for a connection, Wilson had no option as momentum ensured there was contact. It's crystal on the highlights video as the angle of the camera showed how far he threw himself towards Wilson (which is also the angle I was watching from first hand).

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

15 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It was clever play but it's definitely debatable. Threw himself at Wilson hoping for a connection, Wilson had no option as momentum ensured there was contact. It's crystal on the highlights video as the angle of the camera showed how far he threw himself towards Wilson (which is also the angle I was watching from first hand).

When I saw it first time (from the North Stand) I thought it was a nailed on penalty. But it looks completely different on the highlights from the other side. This looks like one of thlse where the replay should really help his cause. At the very least, it should be  considered accidental and the ban reduced to 1 match.

15 minutes ago, bozman said:

When I saw it first time (from the North Stand) I thought it was a nailed on penalty. But it looks completely different on the highlights from the other side. This looks like one of thlse where the replay should really help his cause. At the very least, it should be  considered accidental and the ban reduced to 1 match.

It'll only be a 1 match ban anyway.  If ruled accidental then it should be reduced to a yellow.

9 hours ago, leeslover said:

Whichever side Gerrard is on, his wing back is on a hiding to nothing. It was beautiful seeing a derided formation work well with the right people in place. Wilson and Bryan could both cover crosses from the other side yet be able to cover full back when required, and step into midfield when there was only one forward up.

As opposed to Gerrard, who apparently never put a foot wrong by never leaving the 5 yard circle he was comfortable in as the left sided centre back

You are getting to be a bit like I was with Winchester. We know that Gerrard is shite

9 hours ago, adamoafc said:

absolutely no footballer in fane. he cant make a 5 yard pass on a carpet of a pitch. he'll never get any better on the ball but i do think he's worth his weight in gold for breaking play up and working hard. away from home and in the winter months when we need to get stuck in he'll be very valuable. for me he does a job but is frustrating to watch someone with such poor ability in the middle of the pitch. 

9 hours ago, leeslover said:

Whichever side Gerrard is on, his wing back is on a hiding to nothing. It was beautiful seeing a derided formation work well with the right people in place. Wilson and Bryan could both cover crosses from the other side yet be able to cover full back when required, and step into midfield when there was only one forward up.

Hmmmm, I thought we were very lucky not to concede from an attack down Hunts side. 

They were crossing at will.....

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Just to add to this, what good players do is cut across the defender but continue their run (especially a right footed player in that situation).  Then if they get fouled then fair enough, if not they're clear and central.

What cheats do is cut across then put feet together and dive forward unnaturally at the first sniff of contact.  He wasn't trying to score, he was trying to win a penalty and a red card.

There's a difference.

Completely agree, he must have zero confidence in his ability to put it away in a 1 v 1 situation to check back and look for a foul. He should be embarassed watching the highlights today

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

There's a difference.

Vardy and Ashley Young are two of many who try to cheat their way to gain a penalty by diving, Maddisons effort was no different.