Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we have serious investment coming in Seedorf or Correa could be being lined up as a Director of football with Wellens coaching and picking the team, it's a structure a lot of clubs use now and as much as anything it provides continuity if a manager is moved or moves on, Barnsley employed LJ into a similar role.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If we have serious investment coming in Seedorf or Correa could be being lined up as a Director of football with Wellens coaching and picking the team, it's a structure a lot of clubs use now and as much as anything it provides continuity if a manager is moved or moves on, Barnsley employed LJ into a similar role.

Seedorf hasn’t enough experience to walk into a DofF role, but I’d not be surprised if Correa took it on.

Seedorf would be a terrific name to have at the club but there’s that niggling thought that we could bring him in and it not work and we’ll have got rid of Wellens, who so far is doing a superb job.

As long as Wellens is winning games and playing brilliant football as per Portsmouth on at weekend, he is getting increasingly impossible to replace!

6 minutes ago, eddyblue said:

An intelligent articulate interview from RW showing a realistic vision for the future, already backed up with two wins on the trot. It has to be Wellens.

I like Wellens and he gets my vote. But I keep reading this regards his interviews. What the fuck does it matter if he's good, shit or indifferent at them ? Do we get bonus points for smashing  the goal rush interview or summat ? Seriously I don't get the obsession ? 

4 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I like Wellens and he gets my vote. But I keep reading this regards his interviews. What the fuck does it matter if he's good, shit or indifferent at them ? Do we get bonus points for smashing  the goal rush interview or summat ? Seriously I don't get the obsession ? 

Clearly the common sense he is talking is coming across to the players. He really seems to do his homework which comes across in interviews. Refreshing change to the standard interviews given these days 

2 hours ago, singe said:

Why don't you tweet him and let him know, he loves constructive feedback I've heard...

I might do now I've served my 12 hour ban.

Re: Shez, I for one would be ashamed for us to be managed by someone who didn't treat a free bar with the respect it deserves 

6 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Clearly the common sense he is talking is coming across to the players. He really seems to do his homework which comes across in interviews. Refreshing change to the standard interviews given these days 

But if we were losing and he was interviewing well then imo it wouldn't be highlighted. Like I say I'm not knocking him I hope he gets the job. 

21 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I might do now I've served my 12 hour ban.

Re: Shez, I for one would be ashamed for us to be managed by someone who didn't treat a free bar with the respect it deserves 

I got a 12 hour ban for tweeting to Heather Watson that she should be nicknamed Heather "Deuce" Watson due to the game I had watched were she played really well and kept rallying back to deuce and eventually beat her much higher ranked Ukranian opponent.

I was completely unaware it was a nickname that had racial undertones.

It will be an appointment from within the owner / investors circle. Chambers reporting that Correa's contract ends in a few weeks. I would be putting my money on him.

Wellens is not experienced enough given the money they will be putting in, likely to want to run things his way as well.

Stubbs is shite.

Seedorf really is a dream move but unlikely.

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

It's not an obsession but it  suggests he knows what he is talking about and will be able to communicate his ideas clearly to the players.

Just watched Wellens' pre Crewe interview on ifollow. The interviewer asked him about the possibility of him being given the job for the rest of the season. It seemed strange that he came up with a specifc timescale, rather than just ask him about getting the job or not. May be that is being discussed within the club and then, depending on how he does, they may look for someone else next season ?

I liked his answer too, which was basically that, if you bring someone completely new to the the club in now, you can really only ask them to avoid relegation, where as he can aim higher.

Richie quoted on the MEN in Matt Chambers article.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-athletic-news-scholes-sheridan-13705163

Oldham’s high-energy style in seeing off Portsmouth impressed and Wellens was in touch with club chairman Simon Corney afterwards.

“He text me after the game, as he was in America,” Wellens added. “He said well done and I replied to say I’d see him this week.

“The last two performances, we have not been lucky. We have dominated Peterborough and Portsmouth, two of the teams that will be around the top six.

3 hours ago, eddyblue said:

It's not an obsession but it  suggests he knows what he is talking about and will be able to communicate his ideas clearly to the players.

I get that. But there are also managers I would suggest that are very capable but crumble in front of the camera. I've not actually watched any interviews of him ,just think some may read too much into EVERYTHING that a manager says. A lot will say one thing in front of the camera and another thing to the players I would imagine. 

Anyway I will say again I'm not trying to knock the bloke or posters that are pointing out how well he comes across. If it was up to me I'd give him the job today. It's only two games , two tough ones at that but the players seem to respect him and are seemingly trying to play for him to earn him a shot. Good luck to him whatever happens. 

7 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I get that. But there are also managers I would suggest that are very capable but crumble in front of the camera. I've not actually watched any interviews of him ,just think some may read too much into EVERYTHING that a manager says. A lot will say one thing in front of the camera and another thing to the players I would imagine. 

Anyway I will say again I'm not trying to knock the bloke or posters that are pointing out how well he comes across. If it was up to me I'd give him the job today. It's only two games , two tough ones at that but the players seem to respect him and are seemingly trying to play for him to earn him a shot. Good luck to him whatever happens. 

It's not how well he comes across, it's the content of what he says. He's very technical and seems to analyse the game really well. Have a watch of an interview and you'll see.

Like you say - it's only 2 games so I'm not jumping for him to be given the job but I'd definitely give him a few more games to see how he gets on.

Just now, jorvik_latic said:

It's not how well he comes across, it's the content of what he says. He's very technical and seems to analyse the game really well. Have a watch of an interview and you'll see.

Like you say - it's only 2 games so I'm not jumping for him to be given the job but I'd definitely give him a few more games to see how he gets on.

Fair enough. I don't have iplayer and with the reviews that pop up here at about 3:05pm on Saturdays I think I will give it a miss. 

55 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Fair enough. I don't have iplayer and with the reviews that pop up here at about 3:05pm on Saturdays I think I will give it a miss. 

Have a couple of BBC Radio Manchester ones then...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05hpjln 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05hbkbd