Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Such cynicism. It's also on BBC website, guess they've made it up as well?!

Annabel Tiffin announced it on the north west news. Whatever that woman says is true. This has nothing to do with the fact that i'm secretly in love with her. She just wouldn't lie. She's gorgeous  a brilliant journalist who's integrity can never be questioned.

and it was on the Simon Mayo show. Not especially bothered about that.

Still Wellens for me, even though it's only 3 from 3, it's a damn sight better than what most have served up for a number of years and dare I say it enjoying to watch!

As far as Scholes coming in, no thanks! He seemingly didn't want to know last time around when we actually needed him and let's face it, his playing career means absolutely cock all ... it worked out well with Graeme Sharp didn't it? 

What a player can/did do doesn't always transfer over ... 

Richie Wellens has showed he knows what to do! 

ps .. I'll meet him half way, Scholes can assist RW! lol

Edited by thetramfixer

36 minutes ago, Joanna Roper said:

If it is between scholes and RW id rather RW got the job just feel a bit underwhelmed by Scholes being the main man!!!!

Really?

one of the finest footballers of his generation, a Latics fan and a local lad to boot and you feel underwhelmed.

FFS what is wrong with you people, we support Latics a below average 3rd tier football club and you expect something more exciting ?

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

Really?

one of the finest footballers of his generation, a Latics fan and a local lad to boot and you feel underwhelmed.

FFS what is wrong with you people, we support Latics a below average 3rd tier football club and you expect something more exciting ?

I wanted Correa :D it maybe magical with RW and PS okay ill go 50/50 either way i just wish something would bloody happen so quite!!!!!

It’s amazing how the view on RW has changed.

Pre Sheridan getting sacked if people had been offered Wellens or Scholes or a manager with experience I am certain what the view would have been.

Richie would have been another cheap option, no experience etc.

Its testament to the performances he has extracted and the positive way he talks to the media that now people are disappointed he might not get it.

Whatever happens with the investment I think we need to keep Wellens involved - I’d hope that if it is a name / experienced manager (especially one without English experience) then he is a number 2, if not give it to him.

Scholes / Pablo + Wellens

OR

Just Wellens

Anything else and I will be dissatisfied 

4 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Corney needs to realise that for once, he's actually getting a pass from the fans to hire the cheap and low profile option (Wellens). He needs to stop fuckin about and get it done before we change our minds.

Wellens wouldn't put bums on seats, Scholes would. It's a numbers game.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Wellens wouldn't put bums on seats, Scholes would. It's a numbers game.

Wellens is putting bums on seats. Having seen the highlights from the last 3 games I'm going on Saturday having not been since watching the dross served up at the first game vs Oxford

50 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

It’s amazing how the view on RW has changed.

Pre Sheridan getting sacked if people had been offered Wellens or Scholes or a manager with experience I am certain what the view would have been.

Richie would have been another cheap option, no experience etc.

Its testament to the performances he has extracted and the positive way he talks to the media that now people are disappointed he might not get it.

Totally understand it and yet we have no idea how he would perform during recruitment (or even if that's relevant anymore) and I also look at the impact Hasselbaink made at Northampton. They were bottom when he came in, won the next two & were 2-0 up at Southend (so en route to the kind of recovery we've had) before being pegged back to 2-2. Since then, their record is P6 W0 D2 L4 and he's probably wondering how to turn them around again.

I'd love us to have stumbled upon a good un in Wellens because an ex-player having an impact as a manager convinces you that "it's because 'he understands the club". As you say, he has always talked the talk in every media interview he's given so far but I have a niggling feeling that appointing RW would be a hopeful punt that the few 3 games can be extrapolated for longer & I'm not sure that whoever makes decisions theses days will go for it. I still think Correa.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The big difference is with Wellens I feel the players have reacted positively, with the central midfield and strikers in particularly gelling.  I'd be keeping him on whoever is the manager.

All the indications are that he wants to the main man, don't think he will stick around if not.

Just now, deyres42 said:

All the indications are that he wants to the main man, don't think he will stick around if not.

He's been quoted a couple of times that he'd be happy as No 2 to Seedorf. Not too big a stretch to imagine he'd be happy to be No2 to Scholes. Anyone else mentioned eg Correra, Coyle etc you're right he'll be off

If the investment fall through, it's Wellens to turn down....