Wellens v sheridan

While obviously being to early to carry out a thorough breakdown of the two, for me there were certain key things wellens tweaked that were very telling tonight.

There's the obvious. The placide call, and the 4 at the back, but he had us playing much more football tonight. When we didn't have it we were hungry to get it back. We looked a physical team tonight. 

We also played very little long ball stuff before the red.

Big thing for me though is the intent to play the killer through ball. It was his trademark as a player and it was evident tonight. We got in behind a very good team tonight and it will see us score plenty of goals if it continues.

Biggest difference tonight though?

I was entertained, and I can't say that often about a visit to boundary park

19 minutes ago, philliggi said:

To be fair the football in the last 6 or so games has been very entertaining bar the shit results, the 60 minute second half today was top notch though, great vision and passing, lovely skills on the ball and top quality saves against a second-placed team 

This season is not boring!

1 minute ago, Markspark92 said:

Most things were similar in terms of style of play we worked a lot harder tonight though closing down and defence looked more solid with a 4 plus the goalkeeper was excellent maybe Shez just needed to tweak one or 2 things earlier and he would of kept his job !

I think the players who got the bloke sacked had a lot to prove tonight.

Plus 4-4-2.

Plus Placide.

Just now, JohnnyPimp said:

I think the players who got the bloke sacked had a lot to prove tonight.

Plus 4-4-2.

Plus Placide.

He got him self sacked by playing the wrong formation wrong players proved it tonight!! But lets no go there can't be arsed being called every name under the sun again for being right!!

There seems to be a lot of talk of 4 at the back on here. We were 3-5-2 again tonight until the sending off.

The two tactical changes from the start were having a more mobile back 3 and bringing Fane into midfield so that Byrne and Gardner had more licence to push forward.

Other than that (and obviously the keeper), it seemed pretty much the same as the Shrewsbury game except we played better and with more intensity.

I still thought we played 3 5 2 until the red, like an earlier poster said. However, with Bryan's pace at the back and a hungry-looking Wilson, I thought the shape worked much better tonight. Very sad to see Shez go after his service to the club, but I do feel some of his downfall was down to stubbornness at i) not playing Placide earlier; and ii) refusing to drop either Clarke or Gerrard (for me I'd stick with Clarke over Gerrard any day).

Great result and well chuffed tonight. OWTB!!

5 minutes ago, Andy Perimeter West said:

He got him self sacked by playing the wrong formation wrong players proved it tonight!! But lets no go there can't be arsed being called every name under the sun again for being right!!

Oh give over and grow up - No one was defending his stubbornness and we could all see what was working or not working on the pitch - It was your lack of class and recognition that so many people would have been sad. Your comments and timing of them were like booing someone at a funeral.

18 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Rubbish.  Different players on the pitch made the difference. 

Hahahaha. Course the keeper made the difference, wonder who signed said keeper as well.

If Sheridan had of been here tonight, we'd have won that game as well. No difference.

16 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Hahahaha. Course the keeper made the difference, wonder who signed said keeper as well.

If Sheridan had of been here tonight, we'd have won that game as well. No difference.

Not Shez. Didn’t “fancy him”.  “Not 1st choice”

Four big calls by Wellens

1) Dropping Ruddy & in effect Wilson

2) Bringing in Placide

3) Dropping Gerrard

4) Bryan in defence

All seemed to work.

The fishul said it was 3-5-2

https://twitter.com/OfficialOAFC/status/912750129521807360 Oldham Athletic AFCVerified account @OfficialOAFC 4h4 hours ago

Latics line up in a 3-5-2 formation. Kean Bryan at the back with Clarke & Wilson. Doyle & Davies in attack. #oafc

1 hour ago, philliggi said:

While obviously being to early to carry out a thorough breakdown of the two, for me there were certain key things wellens tweaked that were very telling tonight.

There's the obvious. The placide call, and the 4 at the back, but he had us playing much more football tonight. When we didn't have it we were hungry to get it back. We looked a physical team tonight. 

We also played very little long ball stuff before the red.

Big thing for me though is the intent to play the killer through ball. It was his trademark as a player and it was evident tonight. We got in behind a very good team tonight and it will see us score plenty of goals if it continues.

For an hour at least we were still playing 3 at the back in the match that I was watching