Wellens v sheridan

Just listened to Wellens analysis of the game and he conducts himself very very well indeed. Stuck up for Shez and is obviously disappointed he's gone but he knows his cookies. It's only one game but I'm impressed with his knowledge of the game. I think he'll prove to be a good choice as interim and who knows if we can go on a good run he could put himself in the running for the job permanently.

Bryan at left back did well, and allowed Nepo to push forward more and not have to defend, which is not his strength

there seemed to be more togetherness and desire to win too

placide is certainly a character, some good punch out saves, and thought his Cruyff turns in the box were a bit risky, but entertaining and showed character 

Doyle will score 20 if we can keep him all season 

Also think that TP being there at pitch level was a good move

in the end it was very close but a very well deserved and entertaining victory 

where did the ref get 8 minutes added time from in the second half?

Edited by stevesidg

24 minutes ago, rigsby said:

Hmmmmmm...maybe sheridan wasnt as good as some think as a manager?

Obviously nonsense - he performed miracles to keep us up twice, but the circumstances are different this season and not right for him.  By his own admission something didn't feel right.

Just now, JoeP said:

Obviously nonsense - he performed miracles to keep us up twice, but the circumstances are different this season and not right for him.  By his own admission something didn't feel right.

Well its all about opinions.

I never have been convinced by him as a manager..

1 hour ago, rigsby said:

Well its all about opinions.

I never have been convinced by him as a manager..

Were you convinced about him in May 2016 and May 2017?

I don't think anyone else (well at least of the calibre that Corney hires) would have kept us up last season.

Sure it's gone wrong this season, but he's good a grinding out results when he's needed to. Maybe he should have stuck to that philosophy. Then again, would we be scoring as many as we are? Probably not.

13 hours ago, philliggi said:

While obviously being to early to carry out a thorough breakdown of the two, for me there were certain key things wellens tweaked that were very telling tonight.

There's the obvious. The placide call, and the 4 at the back, but he had us playing much more football tonight. When we didn't have it we were hungry to get it back. We looked a physical team tonight. 

We also played very little long ball stuff before the red.

Big thing for me though is the intent to play the killer through ball. It was his trademark as a player and it was evident tonight. We got in behind a very good team tonight and it will see us score plenty of goals if it continues.

Biggest difference tonight though?

I was entertained, and I can't say that often about a visit to boundary park

Placide was the only real difference.

Other than that the performance was a carbon copy of a few we've lost. 

This time we won. 

Which was great. 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Placide was the only real difference.

Other than that the performance was a carbon copy of a few we've lost. 

This time we won. 

Which was great. 

Not having that. The approach changed drastically for me. 

I say 4 at the back because it was a very fluid defence. Depending on which wing we attacked the other wing sat deep and covered, along with the 3 static centre halves. That's how I saw it anyway.

The approach was different, using all major of attacks rather than repeating the same failing approach time and again.

The personnel changed as did player positions. Pointing out placide as the only change is very narrow minded. 

5 hours ago, philliggi said:

Not having that. The approach changed drastically for me. 

I say 4 at the back because it was a very fluid defence. Depending on which wing we attacked the other wing sat deep and covered, along with the 3 static centre halves. That's how I saw it anyway.

The approach was different, using all major of attacks rather than repeating the same failing approach time and again.

The personnel changed as did player positions. Pointing out placide as the only change is very narrow minded. 

Just calling it as I saw it. 

Personnel changed & some changed position but it was the same formation & still resulted in an uncannily similar performance to many this season, especialy the endeavour in midfield & upfront. 

They still had plenty of chances and might  have had more on another day. Especially if Jittery Jack had still been in nets. 

Placide putting in our best goalkeeping performance if the season was the only big, noticeable difference. 

Regardless it was a great win.  

Been on holiday so catching up on things a bit.  I saw that Shez had been sacked just as I was boarding the plane, which made me think "thank god I'm getting out of the country!"

Anyway, firstly I'm gutted that it hasn't worked out for Shez.  I had this feeling that over the next 2 or 3 seasons he would be able to steadily turn us from being relegation fodder to playoff challengers.  Despite the start to the season I actually thought it was the right call to only add a few players to the squad to the first game.  Sadly it clearly didn't work for numerous reasons on the pitch and what was going on off the pitch made it very difficult for the club as a whole to be settled.

I personally think Shez would've been able to turn it around over the course of the season in normal circumstances but also I'm certain that he isn't really the right fit for the new investors.  I'm just hoping the Shez leaving means it's the end of the Corney-controlled era and that a new and more positive era is around the corner.  I'm not convinced that it will be but I like the hope.

I have absolutely no idea who or what type of manager should replace him this time around.  British names that have been mentioned (Ferguson, Way, Ince, Davies, Pressley) either have glaring flaws or baggage which will get the better of them.  Foreign managers are huge risks that don't usually pay off either.

Wellens would be a big risk as well and I'm sure the new investors have got someone else in mind too, but fair play to him on Tuesday night because for the first time this season the formation and personell actually looked well balanced (except for Placide who sounds like a brilliant kind of crazy).  No one really predicted that team either so he gets big credit for that.

As others have said, this is as exciting and entertaining (albeit flawed) as things have been for a while.  Hopefully it's an enjoyable rollercoaster ride coming up!

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Jesus. We play make three changes and play the same formation, get a bit of luck and win.

On here that translates to changing all the players and playing a different formation ?

I've long believed lots of Latics fans don't actually watch the match, now I know it's true.

Apart from the keeper, the main difference I noticed Monty was the fast start,  

I'm only guessing, but it's maybe something Wellens picked up on. 

I do love this bollocks that Shez was being stubborn. Started the season with a 4-4-2. Wasn’t working so tried moving players about. Then changed it to 3-5-2. Moved players about to try and get things working. Dropped the liability Banks which helped improve the side. Dropped Ben Wilson (which I didn’t think he should) for the even worse Ruddy. All during 11 games (normally any fair minded fan would say give it 10 games for a side to gel.) Had about 8 players arrive on deadline day. Which resulted in more changing of the side (needing more time to gel). Yeah. He was dead stubborn that Shez ???

People are re-writing history...when people talk about it in months/years to come it will be fact that we started with a 3-5-2 and Shez wouldn’t drop anyone. Just isn’t how it was.

Just watched Wellens Portsmouth preview and whilst his media performance  will have no bearing on the result I have to say he is outstanding on camera. He answers every question fully and confidently and I'm 100% sure the players will be going out very well prepared  at Fratton Park.

Hoping for another good result and performance on Saturday which would no doubt give Corney & Co a bit of dilemma.

Wellens has been an integral part of our management team this season, he's being lauded from all angles despite starting his coaching career with as bad as record as you will see, players haven't just started playing for him on the back of Shez leaving, admittedly he changed the keeper and dropped one of our ageing back three but 90% of fans who've watched us would of done the same, talk of him managing us is premature for me and it takes more than having the gift of the gab to manage a football team.

Sheridan is now history and pales into the shadows with great fondness for most. He will always be welcomed back in the stands either watching his son or the first team currently. I think Wellens comes across very very well on camera. One thing is for sure, when he tells the team or an individual player what he wants or what his task is on match day, the player will indeed know perfectly what Wellens instruction is.

Quietly impressed with Wellens demeanour and his obviously genuine praise of Shez.

Edited by Lags

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Wellens has been an integral part of our management team this season, he's being lauded from all angles despite starting his coaching career with as bad as record as you will see, players haven't just started playing for him on the back of Shez leaving, admittedly he changed the keeper and dropped one of our ageing back three but 90% of fans who've watched us would of done the same, talk of him managing us is premature for me and it takes more than having the gift of the gab to manage a football team.

Yeah he was dead stubborn that Shez-still persisted with losing tactics up to the end. If he was a packet of goods on a supermarket shelf he would have `Best before August' stamped on him. Oh and this liability called Banks made an appearance under another new manager on Tuesday-they all seem to see something in him.

22 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Yeah he was dead stubborn that Shez-still persisted with losing tactics up to the end. If he was a packet of goods on a supermarket shelf he would have `Best before August' stamped on him. Oh and this liability called Banks made an appearance under another new manager on Tuesday-they all seem to see something in him.

Wish I had some downboats left...