Fleetwood (H)

The ignore function really comes into its own after a couple of bad results ?

We’re struggling against the ‘spoiler’ type of team. Doncaster and Fleetwood good examples of that. We struggled out wide today so them packing the middle shut us down totally. 

Wellens somehow needs to find a way of making us a threat down the flanks again. We’ve played some great football under him so I have faith he can find the right balance again. 

Most worrying is the number of goals we concede per chance. Teams get 2 or 3 good chances a game yet score most of them. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

What bad decisions? People have been saying Holloway deserves a start - he gets one and does nothing. It could be said him and Davies don’t work together but with Doyle injured and wanting to play two up front what’s the alternative?

people asked where Obedayi was Saturday rightly so after his recent performances - he played today and did nothing 

and yes sometimes people have an off day and lose - remember a Liverpool side with Suarez, Sterling and at the end Gerrard losing here - it’s football 

** and this is a debate - rightly so about football rather than where some one was when the other was in their dads ball sack ?

Surely there is more options than just Holloway and Davies up top. Do we need to play two strikers? Obadeyi should’ve been hauled off at half time. He never looked comfortable on the ball and was clearly something not right yet by what must’ve been 65 minutes we still had the same side which had been impotent all game, even when we had McLaughlin and Nepo on the bench.

But yeah, nothing worthy of debate...

5 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

But yeah, nothing worthy of debate...

My last sentence said it was a debate - and about the football. For what it’s worth I agree with your points I just said if we were to go two up top then Davies and Holloway were it. Not seen enough of Duffus to suggest he can cut it from the get go. The starting line up was probably what most would have gone with I agree he was slow to change it. But I still stand by we will lose some and win others it’s what happens 

8 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

My last sentence said it was a debate - and about the football. For what it’s worth I agree with your points I just said if we were to go two up top then Davies and Holloway were it. Not seen enough of Duffus to suggest he can cut it from the get go. The starting line up was probably what most would have gone with I agree he was slow to change it. But I still stand by we will lose some and win others it’s what happens 

I respect that you think that. It’s a valid point. But I think at times on this site there’s a bit too much virtue signalling when the vast majority of posts are reasonable.

28 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Sums it up for me. Too many played badly - whether it’s the lingering illness or too much Xmas pud - Drove a long way for a lacklustre showing. On to Saturday and hope to see Doyle...?

Heard Wellens on radio Manchester. He said Doyle won't be fit for Saturday.  

But interestingly he may have dropped a hint that he might be staying. When asked what he wanted for 2018 he said for Doyle to get fit and back playing and to get to Wembley in the checkatrade.

Nobody minds a debate. There's just some absolute cunts on here. 

2 silly mistakes from 2 of our best players gave them 2 goals. 

They didn't worry us at all apart from what we have them. We just lacked a cutting edge up top.

Fane was absolutely immense today again and glad people are starting to see why people saw something in him early doors.

Shit result. Not the worst performance. On to the next

Well that is how you go from a potential top half team to a looking over the shoulder team in three games.  We are now 11 off 6th and only 4 off 21st in 18th.  Have we been here before?  Have we been anywhere else for some time?  Why has the team gone to pot now we have the full management team?

Two goals they scored.  The first a Bryan/Hunt mistake.  The second a Byrne mistake.

For the more aware members amongst a question.  When has the Davies/Holloway partnership ever resulted in a win?

My view a case of wrong selection and wrong game management.  Can we beat Bristol Rovers?..................

14 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Well that is how you go from a potential top half team to a looking over the shoulder team in three games.  We are now 11 off 6th and only 4 off 21st in 18th.  Have we been here before?  Have we been anywhere else for some time?  Why has the team gone to pot now we have the full management team?

Two goals they scored.  The first a Bryan/Hunt mistake.  The second a Byrne mistake.

For the more aware members amongst a question.  When has the Davies/Holloway partnership ever resulted in a win?

My view a case of wrong selection and wrong game management.  Can we beat Bristol Rovers?..................

And 5 off 10th. Calm down. 

Guest Stanley30

One of the problems we have is that we have been starved of any sucess for so long, that people go a bit OTT when we win a few matches. 

Realistically we need to look at gradual growth over a sustained period of time. 

We have started playing well, we created a lot of chances today, secondly appreciate we will have dips.

im happy with the way we are going, with a mid to bottom half finish.

lets make it sustainable and realistic.

regards

king james

We didn’t start playing today until we were 2 down and that’s too late

In other news that was the worst Boxing Day away support I’ve seen in 30 years of going to Latics. They might have money behind them, but Fleeetwood really are a national league club.

Edited by ghostofcecere

2 minutes ago, Hands on said:

I can't think of a time it has - Fleetwood might have scored with their only two efforts on target, be we only had four shots on target ourselves (according to the bbc..)

Either of them can, just about, be effective as a supporting partner for a main striker (e.g Doyle) but they're unbelievably ineffective as a partnership.  Davies goes through purple patches, but I'm still struggling to work out what threat Holloway offers.  I'm sure they're belting in training etc, but it's so obvious we're going to struggle in attack in the game when they're announced as our starting strikers.  Even if we've got injuries, we need to give something else a go, because these two just don't work together.

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Either way - it doesn't read well for our forwards that started today!

I wish we’d cross the ball from wide positions more.... gevaro aside, everyone checks and comes back inside. Often crying out for a ball across the box for strikers to attack....! We pass it beautifully, but it’s often in front of the oppositions back 4 and largely ineffective.

35 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I wish we’d cross the ball from wide positions more.... gevaro aside, everyone checks and comes back inside. Often crying out for a ball across the box for strikers to attack....! We pass it beautifully, but it’s often in front of the oppositions back 4 and largely ineffective.

Good point, early in Wellens tenure we seemed to go all out attack down the flanks leaving Dummigan and Hunt exposed at times but our attacking players seemed to have had that coached out of now and prefer a safety first and ball retention now.

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Good point, early in Wellens tenure we seemed to go all out attack down the flanks leaving Dummigan and Hunt exposed at times but our attacking players seemed to have had that coached out of now and prefer a safety first and ball retention now.

Perhaps we are seeing the influence of his 'experienced' assistants?

2 hours ago, Andy b said:

We are in for a tough few months. Have shown signs of being very capable but teams are into their stride now and starting to look more effective and clinical.

Defence is a very significant concern.  

The second goal was Byrne's fault for not letting the defence do their job