Fleetwood (H)

5 minutes ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Comedy moment was byrne having a go at bryan for the 2nd. His shite kick, then he decides to let their lad stroll towards the box and put in a easy ball. Hopefully the new lad from ireland has some heart. I'd prefer a lad of half the ability of byrne but, actually puts a foot in too. 

:lol:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Not sure it's meaningless - if we never have a shot on target, we're never (well, extremely unlikely...) to score....

I recall seeing us win at Colchester witout a shot on target.  Connor Brown was credited with the goal but it certainly wasn't going in without the big deflection

15 hours ago, welshgaz said:

I have been ridiculed for suggesting we drop Bryne for the good of the team but I stand by it. I also don't think we can play 2 strkers and allow him a totally free role.

Would I be right in saying you were impressed with Fane's performance yesterday despite it being tarnished by those rampaging forward runs?

Edited by HarryBosch

A lot of blame to goes to a few different players for both goals, they were that bad but, thats the point. But, byrne was by far the worst for me. If you're closest to the ball you've got to slow the play down or attempt to win the ball/foul if necessary. I left a family do to watch that pitiful lack of effort. The least i expect at league 1 level is effort. Banks was ridiculed for it, why not byrne? 

9 minutes ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

A lot of blame to goes to a few different players for both goals, they were that bad but, thats the point. But, byrne was by far the worst for me. If you're closest to the ball you've got to slow the play down or attempt to win the ball/foul if necessary. I left a family do to watch that pitiful lack of effort. The least i expect at league 1 level is effort. Banks was ridiculed for it, why not byrne? 

Byrne's goals and match winning performances have earned him the right to be only human and drop a bollock. Banks went about it the opposite way. 

Surprised you need this explaining... 

2 hours ago, Andy-latic said:

Disgree, whilst Byrne/Bryan made the initial mistake for the 2nd goal, Gerrard was stood in the 6 yard box like a lemon, didn't pick up his runner atall, shite shite defending, basics

It wasn’t his runner that scored it was cam’s at right back from what I could tell. Gerrard stayed with his man centrally  for the 2nd goal. 

First goal he was out of position as he had gone and won the header against Bryans man so his man was in space when the ball came back. 

29 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Byrne's goals and match winning performances have earned him the right to be only human and drop a bollock. Banks went about it the opposite way. 

Surprised you need this explaining... 

I'd like to think even banks would have at least blocked that cross yesterday. Total lack of effort yet he's treated like a god. Baffles me. He's been good to watch at times but, getting way too greedy, slows the play down too much and doesn't look arsed. As i said before, hope the new lad from Ireland has some guts. Btw, you do realise we're too narrow thanks to Byrne? Do you believe he offers that much going forward to afford dummigan to do the job of 2 players? Can't remember him creating a opportunity if i'm honest. 

It now seems that we have seen the last of Doyle.  I assume the really funny stunt was before he contracted the virus because if not he looks very well on it.  My take on his exclusion is that he is as good as sold and we have been encouraged not to play him.

Wellens created an entertaining side as a care taking manager that was also successful.  Once he got the gig he maintained the excitement but was sadly less successful.  With the successful completion of his team with the two Pauls we have rather quickly fallen off the rails.  I doubt if this sequence of events is just a coincidence.

I stand by my view that having lost all momentum we are once again in for a difficult few months.  We could stand losing Byrne and we might survive without Doyle but if we lose Bryan, who on yesterdays showing could play in any position at this level (yes probably even goal keeper), we will struggle.

Byrne has played well for us in patches but he does have issues.  Rather than playing two up front Wellens et al could have played Byrne behind a lone Davies or Holloway as a number 10 with no defensive duties.  We could then have had Fane and Gardener with two wide men for the four in midfield.  Davies and Holloway seem to cancel each other out, both with their backs to goal and plainly nothing came of their efforts even though Davies should have hit the target with his shot and scored from the header.

9 minutes ago, Hands on said:

It now seems that we have seen the last of Doyle.  I assume the really funny stunt was before he contracted the virus because if not he looks very well on it.  My take on his exclusion is that he is as good as sold and we have been encouraged not to play him.

Wellens created an entertaining side as a care taking manager that was also successful.  Once he got the gig he maintained the excitement but was sadly less successful.  With the successful completion of his team with the two Pauls we have rather quickly fallen off the rails.  I doubt if this sequence of events is just a coincidence.

I stand by my view that having lost all momentum we are once again in for a difficult few months.  We could stand losing Byrne and we might survive without Doyle but if we lose Bryan, who on yesterdays showing could play in any position at this level (yes probably even goal keeper), we will struggle.

Byrne has played well for us in patches but he does have issues.  Rather than playing two up front Wellens et al could have played Byrne behind a lone Davies or Holloway as a number 10 with no defensive duties.  We could then have had Fane and Gardener with two wide men for the four in midfield.  Davies and Holloway seem to cancel each other out, both with their backs to goal and plainly nothing came of their efforts even though Davies should have hit the target with his shot and scored from the header.

I can't for the life of me how anyone can call, Bryan,Byrne, or Doyle, they have been our stand out players. Gerrard at the back through lack of pace (no disrespect to him) has been a problem. There centre half yesterday outshone gerrard, and they only had two chances due to our mistakes.

1 hour ago, RichardOafc said:

I can't for the life of me how anyone can call, Bryan,Byrne, or Doyle, they have been our stand out players. Gerrard at the back through lack of pace (no disrespect to him) has been a problem. There centre half yesterday outshone gerrard, and they only had two chances due to our mistakes.

Just because they've played well for a few months doesn't mean you can't call out their mistakes. Bryan has been pretty much faultless and i'm hopeful he's the one, if any to stay. Doyle would be next preferred one but, i just can't see it happening. Not too fussed about Byrne if i'm honest. The formation is fucked when he plays and without Doyle, i can't see us outscoring the opponents. 

5 minutes ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Just because they've played well for a few months doesn't mean you can't call out their mistakes. Bryan has been pretty much faultless and i'm hopeful he's the one, if any to stay. Doyle would be next preferred one but, i just can't see it happening. Not too fussed about Byrne if i'm honest. The formation is fucked when he plays and without Doyle, i can't see us outscoring the opponents. 

Agree with most of this, but Byrne has been our most creative midfielder since wellans.

5 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Would I be right in saying you were impressed with Fane's performance yesterday despite it being tarnished by those rampaging forward runs?

He was our best player by a country mile. I wish he'd have the confidence to make more forward runs. 

What did you make of Jack Bryne in central midfield? We could go back to your way of thinking ( and shez's) and lose every week because we are overrun in midfield though.

Edited by welshgaz

8 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

He was our best player by a country mile. I wish he'd have the confidence to make more forward runs. 

What did you make of Jack Bryne in central midfield. He'l

Byrne should be told to stop dropping so deep and not try to be Mr do it all. He can score goals so you don't want to see him fiddling about in front of the back four.

Although not his best position I can see Gardner be moved to the right wing as sometimes I think he and Byrne get in each other's way. 

Edited by BP1960

7 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Is this ridicule in a different thread or can I sign up here? 

Feel free but you will join the ever expanding list of latics fans who don't really understand football.

With Doyle out he gets in our strongest team off Holloway or Davies in a role which allows him to continue to offer nothing defensively. 

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Byrne should be told to stop dropping so deep and not try to be Mr do it all. He can score goals so you don't want to see him fiddling about in front of the back four.

Although not his best position I can see Gardner be moved to the right wing as sometimes I think he and Byrne get in each other's way. 

Gardner was as poor as I've seen him against Fleetwood. To be fair to Byrne he was at least trying to pick the ball up off the centre halves. Didn't seem like Gardner had the confidence to do this.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Byrne should be told to stop dropping so deep and not try to be Mr do it all....

....can see Gardner be moved to the right wing....

Agree with your Byrne comment..... but I hope you’re wrong with Gardner.... he’s no winger for me. I’d prefer to see Gevaro and McLaughlin on the wings.... without Doyle, if we’re relying on Davies, Holloway or Duffus to score goals, we need the put the ball in the box. I like Gardner, I think on the whole he’s been good, but thought he was poor (for his recent standards) on Sat’day so maybe time for him to benched for a bit.

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

Agree with your Byrne comment..... but I hope you’re wrong with Gardner.... he’s no winger for me. I’d prefer to see Gevaro and McLaughlin on the wings.... without Doyle, if we’re relying on Davies, Holloway or Duffus to score goals, we need the put the ball in the box. I like Gardner, I think on the whole he’s been good, but thought he was poor (for his recent standards) on Sat’day so maybe time for him to benched for a bit.

Was Gardner that poor though, he has played worse than that and had no criticism, for me he at least tried to get us moving forward quickly, have to agree with Gevaro and Mc, whilst we have no Doyle it needs to be one of the hold up forwards with Byrne playing the no 10 role, then you can play the 2 wide men with Fane and Gardner.

On 26 December 2017 at 6:42 PM, NewBlue said:

Surely there is more options than just Holloway and Davies up top. Do we need to play two strikers? Obadeyi should’ve been hauled off at half time. He never looked comfortable on the ball and was clearly something not right yet by what must’ve been 65 minutes we still had the same side which had been impotent all game, even when we had McLaughlin and Nepo on the bench.

But yeah, nothing worthy of debate...

Worth trying Mclaughlin up front again with 1 of the big lads? Back end of last season he looked threatening as F up top...

Byrne is slowly turning in to the Byrne described to me by a Blackburn supporting friend of mine at the time he signed for us.  He needs to calm down in more ways than one. Stop wanting to do absolutely everything.  Dropping deeper and deeper to demand the ball is extremely unhelpful, it invites pressure. 

16 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Re: Byrne. This is spot on