Bristol Rovers (H)

21 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Well how many different views can you have.

First half we were on top.  Surely everyone agrees however not a single striker in the team.  Great corners from Gardener just watched as they passed by.  Holloway - What do you do for a living?  Professional footballer.  What position do you play?  Striker.  How many goals do you score?  Embarrassed silence.  How many did you score last season?  Embarrassed silence.  How many have you scored this season?  Embarrassed silence.  Its just a joke.  The answers are none and one.

Second half.  Much the same except Hunt shields ball to Johny who is running out and then stops.  Their striker (someone who scores goals) chips the ball over Johny.  Here we go again....

Substitutions second half leave us with the strikers Davies and 'Holloway' and Byrne in midfield.  Byrne proceeds to occupy every part of the pitch where he can't make an impact on the game demanding the ball from everyone that has it.  Flynn playing positively gets a penalty.  Davies (striker) fluffs the penalty which is 'saved' but not held and manages to score on the second attempt.

We manage a draw.  5 points from the last six games puts us in 19th position.  As I have said before top six this year is just a dream.  We are now in a relegation battle having fallen apart since the two Pauls joined us.

Bigggest pile of bollox I’ve read in a while this ! Somebody pull up Holloway’s assists again please ? Davies has scored a few also hasn’t he ? They have both ,at times been great foils fir our goal scoring striker. We miss Doyle FFS. Actually I’m gonna rubber stamp it ....... FACT !!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Bigggest pile of bollox I’ve read in a while this ! Somebody pull up Holloway’s assists again please ? Davies has scored a few also hasn’t he ? They have both ,at times been great foils fir our goal scoring striker. We miss Doyle FFS. Actually I’m gonna rubber stamp it ....... FACT !!

Davies has ten before New Year's Eve.  I imagine that would have made him top scorer in quite a few recent seasons.

2 hours ago, deckyd said:

Thought Gardner played well today.  He passed well, dont think he gave the ball away, maybe once i can remember, worked hard going forward and he tracked back.  Thought he was poor vs Plymouth and Fleetwood.

Not trying to start an argument, genuinely asking why do you think he was poor today? (Or every week).  Granted he was replaced by Byrne, but then again he is no Byrne!

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

What!? He gave the ball away four times in the first half hour. He was terrible. That continued in the second half. 

Agree with Deckyd. Gardner was poor in the past 2 however he was apparently touch and go due to illness at Plymouth yet played the full match. His pressing most weeks is very good. 4-6 weeks ago when we where playing free flowing football his pressing on the opposition was fantastic. The combination of this plus Fane being everywhere tackling allowed Byrne roam freely to cause chaos game after game. 

Gardners passing was very good today, must have pinged it wide to Dummigan 4/5 times in that first half. Harsh assessment on him by some, he works his bollocks off. 

His corners alone today where worth a start, 1 was an absolute peach landing in the 6 yard box waiting to be tapped in. Surprise surprise nobody there. 

2 hours ago, josh_latics said:

Come Jan 2nd, we'll have precisely zero midfielders who can pass a ball forwards. 

Holloway - the guy has no striking instincts at all. When the ball goes wide, he's fannying around somewhere miles from the goal. The cross from the left (Hunt?) that went across the box was perfect, but he's stood on the penalty spot grappling people. 

Couldn't put it any better. Frustrating as he has talent and his hold up play is excellent, but he doesn't have that Strikers instinct to get into the box and score goals. Not scoring from that cross from Hunt is criminal, had goal written all over it

16 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Though I will add to my above post about Gardner, he does try too much at times. Particularly that turn he does, must do it 6 or 7 times a game and it's been sussed after a couple

I think he takes too long over things. Like he always thinks he’s got more time than he actually has. Then he’s dispossessed often. Probably frustrates the fuck out of him watching Byrne , who always looks like he has that extra time and space due to his better technique and awareness. That’s the way I see it anyway. 

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We didn't against Plymouth.  It's a formation that seems to have been tried since Jewell's arrival.

I don't think it really works..

To be fair Wellens had said it was his preferred formation prior to PJ arriving, Doyle and Davies goalscoring form at the time prevented him from breaking up that partnership. 

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Hollaway is very good, for a big man he’s good with his feet, wins a lot in the air. Perfect for Doyle, he needs someone like Doyle along side him. He’s not a out and out goal scorer.

He is not a goal scorer at all!

Edited by ddot_m

15 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Hollaway is very good, for a big man he’s good with his feet, wins a lot in the air. Perfect for Doyle, he needs someone like Doyle along side him. He’s not a out and out goal scorer.

According to Wiki (so must be true):

He can play as both a forward or a central defender.

Perhaps he will end up there?  His goal tally now stands at 9 in 98 matches; would be quite respectable in that context.

28 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Thought Wellens killed us today. If we had started with Byrne, I'm convinced we would have won that today. Fane excellent again...

Completely agree.

Byrne in that team from the start would have won it.

Massive improvement from Fane. I still don’t believe he’ll play in a higher division but he’s become a lower level destroyer.

7 hours ago, archiecat said:

I sincerely meant good luck to Byrne, he should not have been sat on his arse for an hour. God only knows what was going on in Wellens head.

Lack of effort in previous game cost us a chance of getting back into it. Doesn't contribute anywhere near enough to say he's had a free role eveelry game. Why do people make out he's gods gift to football, holloway has more assists than him, thats piss poor. Quite clear he has an attitude problem, very greedy and sulked quite a few times. I'd pass if i was RW, not cause 'i don't like football' but, the least i expect from a professoonal is 100% effort and for them not to sulk like a kid if they don't get the ball. He's well and truly pissed me off in recent weeks, was great to watch at first though, don't get me wrong. 

Please can those in the north stand, chaddy end side, get their eyes tested. People abusing the lino even though he pretty much got everything spot on. Some said their goal was offside, he was about 5yrds on. Fucking jokers, gets on my tits. Like being sat with united fans, claiming for every decision, even though its obvious the correct decision was made. 

4 hours ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Please can those in the north stand, chaddy end side, get their eyes tested. People abusing the lino even though he pretty much got everything spot on. Some said their goal was offside, he was about 5yrds on. Fucking jokers, gets on my tits. Like being sat with united fans, claiming for every decision, even though its obvious the correct decision was made. 

You are a mong 

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

According to Wiki (so must be true):

He can play as both a forward or a central defender.

Perhaps he will end up there?  His goal tally now stands at 9 in 98 matches; would be quite respectable in that context.

He certainly fast enough, he would be a beast at the back. Ian Marshall, let him come up for corners or last ten mins switch positions.

5 hours ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Lack of effort in previous game cost us a chance of getting back into it. Doesn't contribute anywhere near enough to say he's had a free role eveelry game. Why do people make out he's gods gift to football, holloway has more assists than him, thats piss poor. Quite clear he has an attitude problem, very greedy and sulked quite a few times. I'd pass if i was RW, not cause 'i don't like football' but, the least i expect from a professoonal is 100% effort and for them not to sulk like a kid if they don't get the ball. He's well and truly pissed me off in recent weeks, was great to watch at first though, don't get me wrong. 

Because that was borefest till he came in it was freezing cold and miserable. 

8 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Thought Wellens killed us today. If we had started with Byrne, I'm convinced we would have won that today. Fane excellent again...

Is it safe to assume You’re considering your opinion on Fane lately? I know you were a vocal critic last season/beginning of this

For his glimpses of ability Byrne was good to watch but I banged on weeks ago about his bad attitude, lack of focus and his general selfish attitude where he thinks he's got to do everything rather than work for the team, he's the kid from school who has the most ability but wants to take the throw ins, corners, penalties and goal kicks and fucks off home with the ball under his arm if he doesn't get his own way, can win points for you but will lose your more. I hope the lad grows up one day and realises what ability he's got and goes about making the most of it, you can't coach some of the things he can do with a ball but he's going to have to listen and follow simple instructions if he wants to get on in the game, unfortunately for him footballs a team game and when he realises this he will be a different beast.

Edited by yarddog73