The Run In

1 hour ago, maddog said:

Maybe we should cheer all the opposition players. You know, in case they play for us somewhere down the line...

Not what I meant was it :lol:

If someone has been exceptionally good for us as Ripley was for us last season then he deserves a good reception from the Latics fans at the start of the half when he walks over to the goal we are situated. Plus Im hoping it softens him up abit to not have a worldie and it might be something he might be.

Other clubs do this to former players cant see why anyone would have a problem with us doing this.

15 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not what I meant was it :lol:

If someone has been exceptionally good for us as Ripley was for us last season then he deserves a good reception from the Latics fans at the start of the half when he walks over to the goal we are situated. Plus Im hoping it softens him up abit to not have a worldie and it might be something he might be.

Other clubs do this to former players cant see why anyone would have a problem with us doing this.

I disagree. Ok he had an excellent season for us, however after him giving every indication that he would sign for us again he led Shez a merry dance over the summer. Promising to come and then at the last minute changing his mind. In fact it could be said that it was him that caused Shez to get the sack because it left Shez very little time to get in a decent keeper. He is turncoat of the first order and I would love to give him hell during the game on Saturday which I think he thoroughly deserves. 

9 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I disagree. Ok he had an excellent season for us, however after him giving every indication that he would sign for us again he led Shez a merry dance over the summer. Promising to come and then at the last minute changing his mind. In fact it could be said that it was him that caused Shez to get the sack because it left Shez very little time to get in a decent keeper. He is turncoat of the first order and I would love to give him hell during the game on Saturday which I think he thoroughly deserves. 

He got the chance to play in the championship why would he choose us. With hindsight he most probably wouldn't have made that decision, but I have no axe to grind with him.

45 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Think your gonna look a bit of a cock end giving him shit on yer own bud ! 

40 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Added to what disjointed says above. It might not have been his decision where he goes.

I think Lee Sinnott has suggested that we missed multiple payments to Middlesborough during last season. This will likely have had an impact as to where he ended up going.

Turncoat of the highest order :lol: nah sorry you can say that about Chris Porter but not Connor Ripley.

On 03/03/2018 at 10:07 PM, sjk2008 said:

I can't see any north of Doncaster having to worry about the drop, so I am just considering 15th downwards for this.

image.png.ccc21d2aae3dbe5c23644bdfb460fe38.png

image.thumb.png.5a92d5427e1a8a1e0e5b42a20f7989cd.png

As far as I'm concerned, Rochdale are down.  

Think Bury have too much to do as well, especially if we beat them next week.

Franchise have a horrendous run-in, still having to play the current top 5.

That leaves one place - and I'll plump for Northampton.  

The one club that's surprised me there is Oxford...they've very quietly fallen into the mix. And their final 5 away games look horrendous. There's always a team that sinks down the table into the relegation spots. Fleetwood and Donny have been having a good go at it but I can see them recovering. Not sure about Oxford if they fall any further. Might have a check on their odds for the drop.

For the record, I feel we'll be mathematically safe before we go to Spotland. Not counting my chickens...just quietly confident.

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Think your gonna look a bit of a cock end giving him shit on yer own bud ! 

It’s my own opinion , however I will not be going since I am living in The Philippines. This site is supposed to be for people to express an opinion. That’s why it’s a forum or should it be called we all have to agree with one another’s discussion forum. I personally think the guy is a mercenary like lots of modern day players who would go anywhere for an extra buck, however it didn’t do him any good warming the bench at lowly Burton for half a season. Money talks and loyalty goes out the  window in football these days.?

10 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

It’s my own opinion , however I will not be going since I am living in The Philippines. This site is supposed to be for people to express an opinion. That’s why it’s a forum or should it be called we all have to agree with one another’s discussion forum. I personally think the guy is a mercenary like lots of modern day players who would go anywhere for an extra buck, however it didn’t do him any good warming the bench at lowly Burton for half a season. Money talks and loyalty goes out the  window in football these days.?

Express away fella. Was you living in the Philippines whilst CR was performing heroics by chance ? Maybe you just don’t feel the connection the same as most of us. 

Also LOWLY Burton ? How comes ? They are in the league above you know ? 

Just now, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Express away fella. Was you living in the Philippines whilst CR was performing heroics by chance ? Maybe you just don’t feel the connection the same as most of us. 

Just now, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Saw last 15 games of the season last year in UK. Thought Ripley to be a good keeper except for his distribution. However he and his agent did do one on Shez in the summer and to me he’s lost credibility but that’s my opinion and I am entitled to express my thoughts freely on here or at least I thought that is what this forum is for??????

15 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

:petesake::petesake::petesake: WTF :petesake::petesake::petesake:

1 minute ago, Smiler13 said:

Saw last 15 games of the season last year in UK. Thought Ripley to be a good keeper except for his distribution. However he and his agent did do one on Shez in the summer and to me he’s lost credibility but that’s my opinion and I am entitled to express my thoughts freely on here or at least I thought that is what this forum is for??????

You don't think Corney did one on Boro then? Your not expressing opinion your accusing Ripley of doing the dirty on the club which just isn't true, Ripley was all set to resign but for whatever reason the money couldn't be found, in turn that led to Shez seeing his arse because Ripley was his number one target and he then had an unknown keeper forced on him, anyone who doesn't see what Ripley did for us last season in keeping us in this division must be tapped, hopefully in the future we can resign him because he was quality on and off the pitch and probably had his most successful season as a pro with us.

10 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I encourage you to express your thoughts and I have as much right to think your talking bollocks as that’s just my opinion 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

You don't think Corney did one on Boro then? Your not expressing opinion your accusing Ripley of doing the dirty on the club which just isn't true, Ripley was all set to resign but for whatever reason the money couldn't be found, in turn that led to Shez seeing his arse because Ripley was his number one target and he then had an unknown keeper forced on him, anyone who doesn't see what Ripley did for us last season in keeping us in this division must be tapped, hopefully in the future we can resign him because he was quality on and off the pitch and probably had his most successful season as a pro with us.

I agree with you about Corney, but Ripley agent who I think is his father decided that it would be better for him to be warming the bench at Burton than come back and play for us with a secure place in the team every week. I have never said that the guy is not an exceptional talent he’s probably the best shot stopper we have had in many seasons but with suspect distribution. He certainly helped to keep us in division 1 last season. I am not tapped I probably see things differently to you , we are all different and all of us have our own opinions however we all belong to the same football family of Oldham Athletic FC. 

2 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I agree with you about Corney, but Ripley agent who I think is his father decided that it would be better for him to be warming the bench at Burton than come back and play for us with a secure place in the team every week. 

Or Boro wouldn't allow him to come back as they wanted to be paid some of his wages.

Just now, jorvik_latic said:

Or Boro wouldn't allow him to come back as they wanted to be paid some of his wages.

Just now, jorvik_latic said:

Maybe 

4 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

Sadly that is modern football. The game gets more mercenary every season, and the sport I knew and loved growing up is dead.

As they say nowadays, if you want loyalty get a dog. We owe Ripley nothing and vice versa. Personally I hope he spends a lot of time picking the ball out of the net on Saturday, but otherwise I won't waste time thinking about him. Energy expended on abusing him would be better spent on supporting our lads. Come on Latics!

4 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

I personally think the guy is a mercenary like lots of modern day players who would go anywhere for an extra buck

Really?  He's on a Middlesbrough contract? Why would where he went on loan affect that at all?

Ripley will get a round of a applause from me, quite simply because he was one half of the double act that practically kept us up last season, despite only being a player on loan and with no prior affection for the club.  He also had nothing but good things to say about Latics and, had we stumped up the money, would have returned to us this season.

I find it baffling that anyone would suggest otherwise.

However, once that whistle blows he’s a Bury player and will get fuck all appreciation from me again.

Would love to have him back here next season. Whilst having Placide in net does contribute to our style of play, or at the least the way RW wants us to play, I find it hard to believe we wouldn’t be at least 10pts better off had Ripley been in net rather than Placide - and that’s before you consider the spells at the start of the season with Ruddy & Wilson in net.

For the record, I do like Placide.

Edited by sjk2008