44 minutes ago, pukka said:

Mon

Sat Tuesday,

Sat  Wednesday

Sat Tuesday

Sat

A very Busy April

Ouch.

I thought Dale had plenty of games, but by the time we play our next game they are likely to have caught up the games in hand, so it should make it very intersting but potentially nerve wracking.

Win them both and they will go above us on GD. I'm trying not to think about that.

They have:

Tue  Sat

Tue  Sat

Tue  Sat

Tue  Sat

IIRC we've always done poorly after length gaps in fixtures.

Edited by singe

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

Anyone know the reasoning behind this? We very rarely play home games on a Wednesday

10 games since the 1998/99 season (excl boxing day/NYD games).

W4 D1 L5

Includes 0-6 v Spurs, 2-5 v Juan Ugarte, but also 3-0 v Forest

1 hour ago, singe said:

Ouch.

I thought Dale had plenty of games, but by the time we play our next game they are likely to have caught up the games in hand, so it should make it very intersting but potentially nerve wracking.

Win them both and they will go above us on GD. I'm trying not to think about that.

They have:

Tue  Sat

Tue  Sat

Tue  Sat

Tue  Sat

IIRC we've always done poorly after length gaps in fixtures.

Rusty, too many games it's tiredness. 

Edited by BP1960

So the 7 teams directly above us and Rochdale to play in April...5 games being at home. Then Northampton away to finish

If we can't get 12 points plus from that lot we deserve to go down.

Think we will need at least 52 points before Northampton to be safe, as most weeks teams from the bottom 10 are playing each other so will pick up points by default....us included.

So the 7 teams directly above us and Rochdale to play in April...5 games being at home. Then Northampton away to finish

Think we will need at least 52 points before Northampton to be safe, as most weeks teams from the bottom 10 are playing each other so will pick up points by default....us included.

3 hours ago, LaticMark said:

2nd Blackpool H (Mon)

7th Oxford A

11th Walsall H (Wed)

14th Gillingham H

17th Rochdale A (Tues)

21st Wimbledon A

24th Southend H (Tues)

28th Doncaster H

Just looking at our fixtures compared to other teams, and we have a favourable run in.  After Wigan away, no team that we play is currently above 12th.  With our attacking options I'd like to think that we've got enough quality to take the game to a lot of those teams, especially at home, that should see us safe.

The worries for me are our defensive depth, style of play, a potential backlog in the last 30 days of the season and Wellens' inexperience in this situation. 

Our first choice back 5 is good but if we lose any of them for an extended period of time we could be in real trouble as the back up players are a big drop in quality.  As good as our attacking players can be, we're going into this relegation battle with a style that isn't really reliable in tense situations.  This is what worries me a little about Wellens, if he can get us set up well enough to be tight as a unit then brilliant but most other managers around us have experience of beating the drop or setting their teams up to be solid.  We are at a disadvantage in this respect.

Hopefully having loads of fixtures from Walsall onwards will help us pick up the points we need, but get on a bad run from now until then and things could easily snowball.

20 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Eh? We have had pretty much all season and still have the worst defensive record in the division

How does that contradict what I just said?  

i.e.  There is scant evidence that any team in the bottom half can defend.  Scant isn’t definitive. 

Edited by kowenicki

Just now, kowenicki said:

How does that contradict what I just said?  

i.e.  There is scant evidence that any team in the bottom half can defend.  

You are just arguing for the sake of if.  It's blindingly obvious that the goals against column is killing us

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

You are just arguing for the sake of if.  It's blindingly obvious that the goals against column is killing us

I’m not arguing. I’m just saying defence isn’t a strong point of most lower teams for obvious reasons.  

As to goals against killing us... it’s certainly not helping, but 3 teams below have a worse goal difference so if our defence is killing us then their attack is killing them.  Which is a worse situation... I don’t know? 

Just now, kowenicki said:

I’m not arguing. I’m just saying defence isn’t a strong point of most lower teams for obvious reasons.  

As to goals against killing us... it’s certainly not helping, but 3 teams below have a worse goal difference so if our defence is killing us then their attack is killing them.  Which is a worse situation... I don’t know? 

The posited suggestion that I responded to is that the first choice defence is good. It isn't.