6 minutes ago, dec666 said:

That was nearly 30 years ago, the game has moved on.

His recommendations over the last 10 years have been absolutely useless.

Fergie’s recommendation of Moyes was completely wank - don’t think you’ll find Utd fans speaking with the same disrespect. Have a word with yourself 

1 hour ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Fergie’s recommendation of Moyes was completely wank - don’t think you’ll find Utd fans speaking with the same disrespect. Have a word with yourself 

Fergie hasn't been involved with the footballing side of PLC much since. 

I love Joe Royle as much as the next Latics fan, but his recommendations since re-joining the football club in 2009 have been less than stellar. Dec666 has a point. I'd expect Bunn and/or Rhodes may have invited him, they can listen to him, but I doubt AL will. I'd expect Bunn and Rhodes may well have their own ideas on who they want to sign too. 

PS it's not disrespectful to say something is rubbish when it was. 

Some of the comments on this forum are laughable at times.

I know its all opinions and banter but for god sake when you start showing ignorance and total disrespect to the person who brought the best times this club has ever seen then you are either a young fan who needs to educate themselves about our history and learn some respect or even worse you are old enough to remember those great great times but feel the need to be a total tool and forget what this man did for our club.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of our so called fans see Joe Royle as the man who got us relegated from the Premier League and started our decline.

Negativity is rife on this board and in the ground, I've had lots of arguments at games with negative tools who Boo and berate players for the least thing and that is tiresome.

I'm not a total optimist but can't be arsed listening to whining miserable people who only ever concentrate on the negative aspects of the club and expect we all should be the same.

Well I'm sorry for showing some optimism, hope, excitement about the coming season. I'm a fan and want the club to succeed but you have to be realistic.

I want us to walk the league etc but I don't expect it. I expect the players and management to give 100%, that's what we want as Oldham fans, is it not ?

Joe Royles team individually wasn't the best team but they always had great spirit and comradery and they got on a roll and never gave up. 

Show the man respect !!

Edited by maximus1267

Plonk AL in front of a video of our promotion winning season under Joe.  Show him the passion and potential of delivering a product on the pitch.

It is nostalgia granted but it’s not impossible to repeat it.  Peterborough have achieved it, others too i.e. scouting, securing and reselling talent enabling further investment.

If he’s got the funds and not having to concentrate on funding the upkeep of BP then  it could be achieved.  Even being bolshy back to Blitz if we fill the ground through success on the pitch.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Some of the comments on this forum are laughable at times.

I know its all opinions and banter but for god sake when you start showing ignorance and total disrespect to the person who brought the best times this club has ever seen then you are either a young fan who needs to educate themselves about our history and learn some respect or even worse you are old enough to remember those great great times but feel the need to be a total tool and forget what this man did for our club.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of our so called fans see Joe Royle as the man who got us relegated from the Premier League and started our decline.

Negativity is rife on this board and in the ground, I've had lots of arguments at games with negative tools who Boo and berate players for the least thing and that is tiresome.

I'm not a total optimist but can't be arsed listening to whining miserable people who only ever concentrate on the negative aspects of the club and expect we all should be the same.

Well I'm sorry for showing some optimism, hope, excitement about the coming season. I'm a fan and want the club to succeed but you have to be realistic.

I want us to walk the league etc but I don't expect it. I expect the players and management to give 100%, that's what we want as Oldham fans, is it not ?

Joe Royles team individually wasn't the best team but they always had great spirit and comradery and they got on a roll and never gave up. 

Show the man respect !!

Another long winded reply that doesn't address the point Rudemedic is making-he is actually right and that is not being disrespectful it is being a realist-think you mentioned that somewhere above.

Free to write / say  what you wish but I don't expect anything from the big man. His time with us is in the past so any recommendations he puts forward may be great or not so great. I am sure Baxter was initially to do with Royle to some extent, fans seem happy with this. Other recommendations may not be successful but thats how we survive as a club of our standing. We need people in the know recommending players to us, some may work and some wont.

I wouldn't write / say anything negative against him out of respect. He deserves better IMO

As for long winded reply, you don't have to read it.

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

Joe Royles team individually wasn't the best team but they always had great spirit and comradery and they got on a roll and never gave up

I would say that the team was individually and collectively the best team we have had at Boundary Park in the last 100 years.

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I would say that the team was individually and collectively the best team we have had at Boundary Park in the last 100 years.

That is very true, the best Oldham team I have seen in 41 years supporting.

But we beat and played teams off the park that on paper we had no right to do so. But that was our team spirit, togetherness and a great manager that got us on a roll and we never looked like losing games.

I still have people talk to me of the Royle days up here in Cumbria who say the used to love watching us back then.

38 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Oh, what would I do to have a midfield of Holden, Milligan, Henry and Adams now.... Stitch and Bunn or Palmer up front goes without saying.  Those three  seasons between 1989 to 1993 rewarding us with the likes of Redfearn, Marshall, Bernard, Palmer, Jobson, Halle to name just a few!

In fact, sod it, I love listing the following eleven ....

Rhodes, Barlow, Warhurst, Barrett, Irwin, Adams, Henry, Milligan, Holden, Stitch & Bunn.  

April 29th 1990 - No wonder Bunn and Rhodes have an affinity with this club.  Hopefully they can sell it to AL to bring the good times back...

AL needs to watch a video of May 11th 1991& Sheffield Wednesday plus August 17th 1991.  Still remember that trip up to Anfield; two trains, one bus and a walk across Stanley Park. Still have the programme with Mark Walters and Souness on the front.  

Games you’ll never forget but unfortunately not witnessed by many generations since and by the majority who post on here.  We were the lucky ones and hopefully, one day, others can witness similar too.

Edited by Midsblue

18 hours ago, latics22 said:

I don’t think we’ve ever started a season with such weak attacking options and that’s counting  Robinson’s season. We need bryne and Baxter, if bryne doesn’t go before the start surely he has to play rather than rotting training with the kids

I remember back in the mists of time when we were planning the season around Jake Cassidy and it certainly paid off at Chester

22 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Got to agree that as a team probably the best ever but there would be individuals from other eras equal or better to the team of the late 80's.

Joe,although an excellent manager also had more luck than a Euromillions winner, for example a few signings that turned out half decent...

Earl Barrett................ £ 35,000

Paul Warhurst............£ 10,000

Denis Irwin.................£  free

Even though it has always seemed to be a constant financial struggle at Boundary Park, fees of £100.000 for Neil Adams and £165,000 Rick Holden were in today's world probably valued at more like £ 300,000 -£450000. 

Maybe he did have a bit more in the kitty to play with than there is now  but i think we can be pretty certain he could spot a player and get the most out of them.

One more point Ian Olney considered by many fans at £750,000 a massive flop, when asked of this Joe will always maintain that were it not for injury Olney would have been a great player for us.A young player who was keeping Alan Shearer out of the England under 21 team.

I don't begrudge him signing a few clowns like John Keeley and Brian Kilcline nor recommending the likes of Duffus ( he may even come good) 

Joe Royle gave me and many others a once in a lifetime adventure and for that he will always be a Legend.

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

It’s almost impossible to create those days, we could match the wages back then, we have no chance now and I missed it all by about 5 years ?

Anything is possible, when I first started watching us I would have thought the same and we were in what is the Championship now.

Ask Bournemouth fans if they ever thought they would be in the Premier league or even Wigan.

Things can change quickly in football so don't give up hope.

I would love the younger fans to experience even a fraction of what I did in the late 80s / early 90s.

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

Anything is possible, when I first started watching us I would have thought the same and we were in what is the Championship now.

Ask Bournemouth fans if they ever thought they would be in the Premier league or even Wigan.

Things can change quickly in football so don't give up hope.

I would love the younger fans to experience even a fraction of what I did in the late 80s / early 90s.

It’s heart breaking I pretty much started last season in the prem, since then I endured the team and club slowly declining it the abyss.

2 hours ago, archiecat said:

Got to agree that as a team probably the best ever but there would be individuals from other eras equal or better to the team of the late 80's.

Joe,although an excellent manager also had more luck than a Euromillions winner, for example a few signings that turned out half decent...

Earl Barrett................ £ 35,000

Paul Warhurst............£ 10,000

Denis Irwin.................£  free

Even though it has always seemed to be a constant financial struggle at Boundary Park, fees of £100.000 for Neil Adams and £165,000 Rick Holden were in today's world probably valued at more like £ 300,000 -£450000. 

Maybe he did have a bit more in the kitty to play with than there is now  but i think we can be pretty certain he could spot a player and get the most out of them.

One more point Ian Olney considered by many fans at £750,000 a massive flop, when asked of this Joe will always maintain that were it not for injury Olney would have been a great player for us.A young player who was keeping Alan Shearer out of the England under 21 team.

I don't begrudge him signing a few clowns like John Keeley and Brian Kilcline nor recommending the likes of Duffus ( he may even come good) 

Joe Royle gave me and many others a once in a lifetime adventure and for that he will always be a Legend.

Andy Ritchie ..............£80,000 absolut bloody steal 

3 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

As for long winded reply, you don't have to read it.

Yes you do-how can you form an opinion if you don't read what is being posted?

You still don't get it-it is not criticism it is fact-the 3 players mentioned have not been successful. I accept it is taking a chance on players-Byrne is a classic example of this, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

3 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

There can be only one.

2 yard Highlander 

Not for me...….biggest culprits were Ian Stott & Lees Brewery. Happy when we were on the way  up, quick to sell players off when things were less than rosey and not invest a small part of the money received.

36 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Not for me...….biggest culprits were Ian Stott & Lees Brewery. Happy when we were on the way  up, quick to sell players off when things were less than rosey and not invest a small part of the money received.

There were others with their fingers in the pie all wanting their slice.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

It’s heart breaking I pretty much started last season in the prem, since then I endured the team and club slowly declining it the abyss.

Well I hope you get to see some from of success and experience some good times like myself and others on here have.

Things go round in circles so stick with them and keep hoping.