Protest 22/4/19 against Mansfield.

Don’t post on here much anymore, but trying to gather as much momentum as possible for a real demonstration for the televised game against Mansfield. Something needs to be done to show this chancer that the supporters have had enough, whether it’s tennis balls/red noses on the pitch or just banners around the place that the cameras can pick up. There seems to be a more united cause against the owner this time round than there was under Corney and I think with enough push we can finally get the message across to Abdallah that he simply can’t keep the running the place how he has been for over 18 months. 

What are everyone else’s views regarding this?

You are mistaken if you think AL is unaware of our dissatisfaction. 

You are are also mistaken if you think a televised protest will address or provide a solution to our problems. 

You can’t force the guy or his backers to invest money they haven’t got. 

Nor or do you mention an alternative plan and funding. 

43 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

You are are also mistaken if you think a televised protest will address or provide a solution to our problems. 

So what we sit their and do nothing?

12 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

No, but I guarantee protests will achieve nothing.  Plus, knowing some of our fans it will kick off when someone tries to remove a banner.  The club will look bad, the fans worse and even less people will potentially want to get involved to rescue us.  

I do not agree with protests inside stadiums whilst games are in play and I never will. 

• Like 1

... and this was always going to be the problem. A hard-core fan base as small as we have known for many years - and we are hopelessly fragmented.

I`ve made my peace with the Trust, so will watch with interest and see how they lead, on behalf of the fans, on matters generally. 

I`ve always maintained that the televised game is a heaven sent opportunity for some sensible publicity about the issues - even if it only involves, for example, an articulate Trust member going in front of the Sky cameras and outlining the position regarding a) the concerns b) the letter and c) the lack of response from the owner.

Fans attending the game could then get on with supporting the team - and suitable banners could relay the same consistent message the Trust had delivered on camera.

There's only one home game left after Mansfield - and then the season's over - and most of the impetus will be lost.

4 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

... and this was always going to be the problem. A hard-core fan base as small as we have known for many years - and we are hopelessly fragmented.

I`ve made my peace with the Trust, so will watch with interest and see how they lead, on behalf of the fans, on matters generally. 

I`ve always maintained that the televised game is a heaven sent opportunity for some sensible publicity about the issues - even if it only involves, for example, an articulate Trust member going in front of the Sky cameras and outlining the position regarding a) the concerns b) the letter and c) the lack of response from the owner.

Fans attending the game could then get on with supporting the team - and suitable banners could relay the same consistent message the Trust had delivered on camera.

There's only one home game left after Mansfield - and then the season's over - and most of the impetus will be lost.

Sky won't give two hoots beyond a quick mention of Scholes departure, focus will be on Mansfield.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sky won't give two hoots beyond a quick mention of Scholes departure, focus will be on Mansfield.

Don't be too sure deyres - everyone loves a David v Goliath story - and I`m sure some Latics fans somewhere will have the right media connections.

Just now, wiseowl said:

Don't be too sure deyres - everyone loves a David v Goliath story - and I`m sure some Latics fans somewhere will have the right media connections.

"We sent the owner a letter"

We already know we are tinpot, broadcasting that to wider audience not advisable 😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well, after much doubt and debate 5 of us agreed to renew our season ticket on Saturday, even addressing at the risk of losing our cash and long held seats. 

In in my experience people who question others for lack of conviction are generally on the light side of solving a problem themselves. 

At this moment in time I am not using the same butcher, baker, corner shop, newsagent or service station as 50yrs ago. You get my drift? But as a Latics supporter I am ‘exactly’ in the same boat as any other long term supporter - there is no other club for me. 

Now please tell me: how do ‘you’ propose to jettison an uncomunitive and uninspiring (up to now) owner while introducing a new benefactor at the same time?

P. S. I noticed Portsmouth and Sunderland had quite a cash bonanza in the Checkatrade. Never mind, something else may turn up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeroyboy said:

Well, after much doubt and debate 5 of us agreed to renew our season ticket on Saturday  

Mike - fully understand and respect your decision. One of the issues regarding Latics is that Oldham is not a rich town and I`m sure many fans purchase a season ticket simply because it offers them an adult entrance fee of around £12 for each match (early bird offer). A substantial saving as against POTD.

I will not renew until sanity returns in some way, shape or form under the present owner or a new one. I`d rather POTD to be honest, even if it does cost me far more eventually (i.e. if sanity returns and I end up attending every home game).

Presently, in the absence of a united front amongst supporters, it's the best way I can think of to send a message to the Chairman. I`m getting the feeling, though, that people taking my stance are becoming somewhat of a minority (we won't know until final season ticket sales are published).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Personal view is that throwing stuff on pitch is puerile and not really fair on players or stewards.

If you must attend then I think it would be good to see the North Stand completely empty.

The North stand won’t  be empty but the main stand may be.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2019/april/15042019-main-stand-upper-mansfield/

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

I reckon if you went for a prison visit you’d come out saying “you know what that Peter Sutcliffe is nothing like I expected. He’s actually a really nice fella and he single handedly brought prostitution levels to an all time low in Yorkshire ya know”

#fickleowl

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

David v Goliath is pushing it big time. It's the first time we have been below Mansfield in my life time...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

The fact he or his backers don't have any money (as far as we know..) is pretty low down the list of issues, I reckon..

In fact I'd rather he didn't spend his money if he's going to use it to fund inflated wages for certain players, because it'll mean the club are ultimately responsible for honouring the contract.

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Then just like the Dudley is shit (hot) one roll out the rest saying but the owners an ignorant fuck

We’d still be the butt of the joke... not him. 

It would look pathetic. 

Edited by kowenicki