Should Pete Wild get the Manager/Head Coach job permanently

Pete Wild as Full time Manager/Head Coach  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Should the owner offer the Manager/Head Coach job permanently?

• Yes
    • Don't know
    • No. Becase he is inexperienced
    • No. Because caretaker mangers struggle when appointed full time eg Wellens & Solskjaer
    • No. Other
  2. 2. Is he likely to offer him the position permanently though?

3. 3. How do you rate Pete Wild's performance as Manager/Head Choice this season overall?

Difficult this.

He's done Excellently.... and so why would I say 'No' to offering him the job?

I think I'm influenced more by concern for the Lemsagam's wanting a man they feel they can control/influence more - and I'm not saying Pete Wild is malleable to their demands anymore than Frankie Bunn was - just that they [AL/ML] will want to avoid anyone they think will be confrontational to their diktats.

I'd say it's nailed on they'll offer it to him - after all they've offered it to Clarke twice - and I think he'll take it, assuming he doesn't find more secure employment elsewhere/the youth set up gets disbanded in favour of the foreign legion reserves, managed by Mo. Lemsagam.

Be under no illusions fellow fans.... the recent form has been a plaster over a wound. There are root and branch issues that still require challenging and I'm hoping the Trust will be able to voice our concerns firmly sooner rather than later, we can get some answers and if necessary [only when dialogue has failed], take some action. It's gonna be a worrying summer..... to quote Andy Holt [Accrington owner], we are one bad season from oblivion.

Edited by lookersstandandy
  • Like 6

If you take out the appalling circumstances in which Pete Wild has had to take over the reins, twice, and just look at the bare stats.

P15 W8 D3 L4 Over a season that is 83 pts. That's  4th & 1 point off promotion in 2017/18 and 2nd this year!

League Games is

P13 W7 D3 L3 85 pts and auto both seasons.

And still, in 15 games, he has not conceded a goal in open play in the last 10 mins of a game. The only goal in the last 10 he has ever conceded was a penalty.

But only average according to one person,  who you can see.!!

He should be a manager of the season contender on League form alone.

Edited by singe
  • Like 1

He's done really well its hard to really say a bad word about him and we have no reason to do so.

I simply do not see a good experienced manager wanting the gig, not now its pretty well known throughout football just how bad  the Lemsagams run the football club.

Due to the fact any other candidate is likely  to be a chancer it should be his if he wants it.

Alot of people will make the point that Head of Youth development is likely to have alot more job security than First team manager/Head Coach. This of course is true, however if he took the job in the summer and was sacked within 12 months ( a likely scenario) Their are other professional football clubs he could go and work at in some capacity. If they sacked him he would be able to find another job in football whether that be in an academy, or as part of backroom team or even as a 1st team manager in non-league football. I'd like to think he's more than aware of this and the volatile nature of Football as an industry and would consider the fact that if he took the job and the worst happened then it wouldn't necessarily be the end of his career in football.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

He's done really well its hard to really say a bad word about him and we have no reason to do so.

I simply do not see a good experienced manager wanting the gig, not now its pretty well known throughout football just how bad  the Lemsagams run the football club.

Due to the fact any other candidate is likely  to be a chancer it should be his if he wants it.

Alot of people will make the point that Head of Youth development is likely to have alot more job security than First team manager/Head Coach. This of course is true, however if he took the job in the summer and was sacked within 12 months ( a likely scenario) Their are other professional football clubs he could go and work at in some capacity. If they sacked him he would be able to find another job in football whether that be in an academy, or as part of backroom team or even as a 1st team manager in non-league football. I'd like to think he's more than aware of this and the volatile nature of Football as an industry and would consider the fact that if he took the job and the worst happened then it wouldn't necessarily be the end of his career in football.

This.

Given his record, and the way he conducts himself  a League One club might take a chance on him, although that would realisticall seem a step too far I think many of us beleive he'd equip himself well.
Plenty of Chariman in L2 have seen him at close quarters now, and I think again many of us belive he'd be a sucess at th this level. At Conf leve he'd be a cert to get a job and be a sucess.
He's earned the right to move on from Youth Team now.

I think he's manged nearly same number of the First Team more than the Youth Team now.

3 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

AL should stop fucking about, put Mo in charge of the team, and put his balls on the table. If it fails, then he'll have nowhere to hide - no fall guys, just his own sword to fall on.

....whilst I don't want this, I agree with you. He just needs to be honest [for a change]......

Edited by lookersstandandy

29 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If you want somebody else's balls on the table then I think you're probably a sadist rather than a masochist

Over to the BDSM expert... ( 😉 ) what's it called if you want to watch two guys put their balls on the table and cause each other significant pain to within an inch of their lives?

1 hour ago, singe said:

If you take out the appalling circumstances in which Pete Wild has had to take over the reins, twice, and just look at the bare stats.

P15 W8 D3 L4 Over a season that is 83 pts. That's  4th & 1 point off promotion in 2017/18 and 2nd this year!

League Games is

P13 W7 D3 L3 85 pts and auto both seasons.

And still, in 15 games, he has not conceded a goal in open play in the last 10 mins of a game. The only goal in the last 10 he has ever conceded was a penalty.

But only average according to one person,  who you can see.!!

He should be a manager of the season contender on League form alone.

He's a great lad, has managed very well in near-impossible circumstances, and if he does get the job f/t will have my full support.

But you can't say he's a manager of the season contender based on 13 league games. Nor can you extrapolate to 85 points as you have done - the sample isn't even every other team in the division, and that's before you factor in injuries, loss of form, postponements/fixture pile-ups, etc.

I would prefer a more experienced manager with some evidence of an ability to manage teams to promotion or challenge for it, wishful thinking though that may be.

At the end of the day we are debating a sideshow here. The priority has to be finding a way somehow to get Coco out of the club, and new, responsible owners in.

16 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

He's a great lad, has managed very well in near-impossible circumstances, and if he does get the job f/t will have my full support.

But you can't say he's a manager of the season contender based on 13 league games. Nor can you extrapolate to 85 points as you have done - the sample isn't even every other team in the division, and that's before you factor in injuries, loss of form, postponements/fixture pile-ups, etc.

I would prefer a more experienced manager with some evidence of an ability to manage teams to promotion or challenge for it, wishful thinking though that may be.

At the end of the day we are debating a sideshow here. The priority has to be finding a way somehow to get Coco out of the club, and new, responsible owners in.

How are we debating a side show when a) the appetite for getting him out of the club is practically non existent b) the scenario of PW being appointed permanently is highly likely to happen even possibly this week?
A proven manager will be useless if it's still Marco's French 5th division signings and the other one interfering.

You're very literal re PW's stats.
If you cannot extrapolate his stats (and the circumstances is almost as important as the results) then your own assertion  of an experienced manager cannot be measured either because a) the experience will not be wholly in this division b) with the same teams c) with the same squad d) with the same opposing squads e) with the same Chairman e) the same funds to sign players etc

Experienced managers have failed in the past. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but we have chopped and changed manager so many times and who would come with no chance of signing their players.

In fact, the majority of our most succesful managers have all been a first time manageserved time , some with with reserves/youths managerial experience.

Shez, Johnson, Dowie (QPR Asst Mgr), Joe, Jimmy Frizz Who coached under Jack Rowley, Jimmy McIlroy  , George Hardwick & David Ashworth.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

AL should stop fucking about, put Mo in charge of the team, and put his balls on the table. If it fails, then he'll have nowhere to hide - no fall guys, just his own sword to fall on.

I take it Mo will be fine with the pay cut as well...

I've gone for:

Don't Know

Don't Know

Excellent

He deserves to be in charge given the way he's gone about the job, but I'm not sure it's a particularly good job to have for Wild.  If he leaves in the summer his stock will probably be as high as it could be to get another job (whichever role that is), if he stays there is no guarantee that he'll get any loyalty for the good job he's done so far.  He could easily be out of the door within 2 months of the start of next season through no fault of his own.  His options would be a lot more limited than they currently are.

If Marco genuinely has a plan to take this club forward (I can hardly write that with any seriousness) then Wild is probably a half measure anyway.  If he really wants to act on a strategy he should hire someone who will 100% toe the line.  Judging by Wild's pre-Newport interview I'm guessing that Wild is going to ask some probing questions of Marco when they discuss the future and I'm not convinced that Wild is going to be satisfied with the answers.

But to be clear, Wild has been the best thing to happen to the club this season and I'd say that he's lived the dream doing the job's he's done in the second half of the season.  He'll get my thanks for whatever he chooses to do next.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, singe said:

Over to the BDSM expert... ( 😉 ) what's it called if you want to watch two guys put their balls on the table and cause each other significant pain to within an inch of their lives?

It's a concern that you feel the need to know!!!😮

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Recruitment would be the big worry for me especially given the likelihood of further budget cuts.

This is the thing, I think Wild has shown he is quite astute and given a reasonable budget could make some good sensible signings.

Any appointment is a risk regardless of credentials but I struggle to see who could come here and actually do better than Wild has done, particularly with our owner who definitely seems to be an "acquired taste"

17 minutes ago, True Tic said:

This is the thing, I think Wild has shown he is quite astute and given a reasonable budget could make some good sensible signings.

Any appointment is a risk regardless of credentials but I struggle to see who could come here and actually do better than Wild has done, particularly with our owner who definitely seems to be an "acquired taste"

He's shown he can put a training session on and get the team ready, managers live and die on recruitment though, has he got the contact book to improve the current squad?

6 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

........would he be allowed to use it much, even if he did? OR, would the fact he hasn't got one be preferable to the Lemmy's?

The English loans are crucial, Bunn got them right, I wouldn't be sure Wild would have the same level of clout.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I've gone for:

Don't Know

Don't Know

Excellent

He deserves to be in charge given the way he's gone about the job, but I'm not sure it's a particularly good job to have for Wild.  If he leaves in the summer his stock will probably be as high as it could be to get another job (whichever role that is), if he stays there is no guarantee that he'll get any loyalty for the good job he's done so far.  He could easily be out of the door within 2 months of the start of next season through no fault of his own.  His options would be a lot more limited than they currently are.

If Marco genuinely has a plan to take this club forward (I can hardly write that with any seriousness) then Wild is probably a half measure anyway.  If he really wants to act on a strategy he should hire someone who will 100% toe the line.  Judging by Wild's pre-Newport interview I'm guessing that Wild is going to ask some probing questions of Marco when they discuss the future and I'm not convinced that Wild is going to be satisfied with the answers.

But to be clear, Wild has been the best thing to happen to the club this season and I'd say that he's lived the dream doing the job's he's done in the second half of the season.  He'll get my thanks for whatever he chooses to do next.

What did he say? Cheers

No

Yes

Good

My reasoning, the second half at Exeter on which the entire season was riding was an abject failure from a managerial perspective. You can't even make allowances for inexperience and for that i wouldn't want him to be given the job on a permanent basis.

Pretty certain he will be offered the job as he will undoubtedly be the cheapest option.

Exeter aside, Wild has probably done more than we could have possibly expected.

1 hour ago, singe said:

How are we debating a side show when a) the appetite for getting him out of the club is practically non existent b) the scenario of PW being appointed permanently is highly likely to happen even possibly this week?
A proven manager will be useless if it's still Marco's French 5th division signings and the other one interfering.

You're very literal re PW's stats.
If you cannot extrapolate his stats (and the circumstances is almost as important as the results) then your own assertion  of an experienced manager cannot be measured either because a) the experience will not be wholly in this division b) with the same teams c) with the same squad d) with the same opposing squads e) with the same Chairman e) the same funds to sign players etc

Experienced managers have failed in the past. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but we have chopped and changed manager so many times and who would come with no chance of signing their players.

In fact, the majority of our most succesful managers have all been a first time manageserved time , some with with reserves/youths managerial experience.

Shez, Johnson, Dowie (QPR Asst Mgr), Joe, Jimmy Frizz Who coached under Jack Rowley, Jimmy McIlroy  , George Hardwick & David Ashworth.

If that's a serious question then there is no point in continuing the discussion. Whoever is appointed manager, if the Ringling Brothers remain in charge, will have little or no chance of succeeding; but an experienced manager, as opposed to a novice like PW, would have a slightly better chance. But we are fiddling while Rome burns. It must surely be clear that whoever becomes manager will be no more than a sticking plaster. The only hope rests with the consortium trying to buy the ground, and with the Trust's new approach to Coco. As we currently know next to nothing about the consortium, those hopes are slim.

As I said, I admire what PW has done in very difficult impossible circumstances. His tactics v Exeter tell me he is not the right long-term solution. Probably nobody else is either until we get regime change.