Squad movements, summer 2019

36 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Exactly. People question why they would do it with a club like Latics as there’s not much money in it. Take Maouche and Vera. *Supposedly* on £4k and £6k respectively is £520k per year basic before signing on bonuses and other perks. That’s £312k of clean money for just 2 players with them making £83k and £125k per year out of it. Again, all hypothetical. 

TBF I heard Vera was on 3K per week. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Exactly. People question why they would do it with a club like Latics as there’s not much money in it. Take Maouche and Vera. *Supposedly* on £4k and £6k respectively is £520k per year basic before signing on bonuses and other perks. That’s £312k of clean money for just 2 players with them making £83k and £125k per year out of it. Again, all hypothetical. 

Are their not rules on stuff like this?

10 minutes ago, disjointed said:

TBF I heard Vera was on 3K per week. 

That’s still £62k a year for the player using the same logic, you’d just need a few more players to make it worthwhile. We don’t have a shortage of them at the club. 

Anyway, it’s definitely not happening at Latics so it’s all moot. 

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ok so is anyone looking into this?

Whoa whoa whoa. This is just an example of what could happen at a football club, especially one linked to a football agency. Definitely not happening here....

1 minute ago, jorvik_latic said:

Whoa whoa whoa. This is just an example of what could happen at a football club, especially one linked to a football agency. Definitely not happening here....

Clubs might get investigated at times https://news.sky.com/story/security-minister-reveals-knowledge-of-football-money-laundering-investigation-11540039 

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I could have found someone more effective in Sunday Leagur for nothing.

...most of us could...  but if you were money laundering (not saying that is happening here) then, finding effective players is not your primary objective.

From what you’ve seen of him, would you resign Benteke, Alf?

I am not suggesting that anything untoward needs to go on for an owner with past links to a football agency to choose that agency to handle player movements and conditions.  It would be simplicity itself.

If an owner was prepared to bend the rules and I am not saying or alleging that this is happening at Oldham then the upside would be much greater.  Perhaps my years of trying to police large corporate entities with household names leaves me a little cynical when it comes to 'business'.

I look forward to seeing the accounts and finding out how the 2 million invested in the club before the change of ownership and in due course how the 200k per month since the change of ownership is reflected.

Money laundering and terrorist financing are rife throughout the world, at all levels. The first regs over here were implemented in 1994 - and the whole AMLCTF regime has grown massively since. It's the reason that little old ladies are asked for their passports and utility bills when trying to open a modest savings account on the High Street (i.e. to confirm identity and address). Meanwhile, you may not be surprised to know, the "big boys" continue to get away with it. I once investigated a reasonable sized money laundering case (into millions of pounds) with substantial evidence against 2 senior bank employees and proven terrorist involvement. The FTSE100 bank concerned "closed ranks", the 2 rogue employees took "voluntary redundancy" (very nice pay-offs) and my detailed report to NCIS (they were the collating body at the time - it's changed over the years) was lost in the ether. No prosecutions or anything - and the bank wrote off the millions involved.

Can I just say though, this is serious stuff and anyone intimating it's going on is on very unsafe ground. NOT a place for such speculation  - if anyone suspects money laundering then they have a duty in law to report it to the police or the NCA.

My best advice is for the moderators to have a look at some of this - it's not for a message board, honestly.

18 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Money laundering and terrorist financing are rife throughout the world, at all levels. The first regs over here were implemented in 1994 - and the whole AMLCTF regime has grown massively since. It's the reason that little old ladies are asked for their passports and utility bills when trying to open a modest savings account on the High Street (i.e. to confirm identity and address). Meanwhile, you may not be surprised to know, the "big boys" continue to get away with it. I once investigated a reasonable sized money laundering case (into millions of pounds) with substantial evidence against 2 senior bank employees and proven terrorist involvement. The FTSE100 bank concerned "closed ranks", the 2 rogue employees took "voluntary redundancy" (very nice pay-offs) and my detailed report to NCIS (they were the collating body at the time - it's changed over the years) was lost in the ether. No prosecutions or anything - and the bank wrote off the millions involved.

Can I just say though, this is serious stuff and anyone intimating it's going on is on very unsafe ground. NOT a place for such speculation  - if anyone suspects money laundering then they have a duty in law to report it to the police or the NCA.

My best advice is for the moderators to have a look at some of this - it's not for a message board, honestly.

Members of public don't have a duty in law to report money laundering. No one is suggesting that it's happening at the club either. Cool story to make it about you though.

8 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Members of public don't have a duty in law to report money laundering.

Correct.  The duty applies to those working in businesses subject to the regulations and specifically but not exclusively to the nominated indiviudal holding the relevant role.

11 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Members of public don't have a duty in law to report money laundering. No one is suggesting that it's happening at the club either. Cool story to make it about you though.

Not as clear cut as you may think - I was only trying to help jorvik - but if you take it the wrong way, that's fine - carry on regardless.

Reporting suspicions

If a private individual becomes involved in something they know or suspect is connected to money laundering, or if a financial services firm has knowledge or suspicion that someone might be engaged in a money laundering activity, they have a legal obligation to report this to the UK Financial Intelligence Unit, which is located within the National Crime Agency.

Copies of the preferred reporting form, and guidance on its completion, are available at the following National Crime Agency websites - see links below.

6 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Not as clear cut as you may think - I was only trying to help jorvik - but if you take it the wrong way, that's fine - carry on regardless.

Reporting suspicions

If a private individual becomes involved in something they know or suspect is connected to money laundering, or if a financial services firm has knowledge or suspicion that someone might be engaged in a money laundering activity, they have a legal obligation to report this to the UK Financial Intelligence Unit, which is located within the National Crime Agency.

Copies of the preferred reporting form, and guidance on its completion, are available at the following National Crime Agency websites - see links below.

Key word in that being 'involved'

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Key word in that being 'involved'

Dave - let's not get into semantics. Read some of the insinuations on here. If, for example, a fan has paid his season ticket money (quite legitimately) into a football club and he then forms a suspicion that all is not well and money is being laundered (from elsewhere) then he is deemed to be "involved" in something he suspects is connected to money laundering (i.e. he has paid into it in the first place).

It doesn't matter - anyone who thinks that this board is a place for ML speculation clearly has no idea of the financial/legal implications for them personally, the owners of this site, anybody repeating the allegations etc. Like I say, was only trying to help. Wish I`d never bothered (and awaits the replies - "so do we" 😉)

1 minute ago, wiseowl said:

Dave - let's not get into semantics. Read some of the insinuations on here. If, for example, a fan has paid his season ticket money (quite legitimately) into a football club and he then forms a suspicion that all is not well and money is being laundered (from elsewhere) then he is deemed to be "involved" in something he suspects is connected to money laundering (i.e. he has paid into it in the first place).

It doesn't matter - anyone who thinks that this board is a place for ML speculation clearly has no idea of the financial/legal implications for them personally, the owners of this site, anybody repeating the allegations etc. Like I say, was only trying to help. Wish I`d never bothered (and awaits the replies - "so do we" 😉)

If worded rightly, you can surely discuss anything you want? (Allegedly).

2 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

It's a board for discussion. People can hypothesise about what's happening without fear of implication or scaremongering.

Buying a season ticket doesn't involve you in the process of money laundering at all and there is no duty for the public to report anything.

15 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

It's a board for discussion. People can hypothesise about what's happening without fear of implication or scaremongering.

Buying a season ticket doesn't involve you in the process of money laundering at all and there is no duty for the public to report anything.

jorvik - quite frankly, you've not got a clue what you're on about. You can't throw out hypothetical situations (with detailing behind them - and figures) and then say something like "but it's not happening at Latics" on a message board about Latics (!) and then not leave yourself wide open to possible legal action. I hope it never happens to a fan but, if you don't wish to believe me, go and have a word with a barrister who is an expert on defamation claims.

9 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

jorvik - quite frankly, you've not got a clue what you're on about. You can't throw out hypothetical situations (with detailing behind them - and figures) and then say something like "but it's not happening at Latics" on a message board about Latics (!) and then not leave yourself wide open to possible legal action. I hope it never happens to a fan but, if you don't wish to believe me, go and have a word with a barrister who is an expert on defamation claims.

Ok then.

11 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

People were saying it wasn't worthwhile doing it at Latics as we don't have any money. I gave a scenario providing hypothetical figures to show that it was possible. No accusations at all. 

Archived