Season over? How would you plan for next season starting now?

1. Get a new manager.

But, whether we do or don't....

We need a new keeper - keep one of dumb & dumber for backup.

I'd give Allen a few games if, as some say he is, he's upto it....

Keep Hamer - again, we need a new manager who's going to actually coach & develop a young lad like this as he's gone backwards this season. 

Wheater has got better to be fair.

While Piergianni looks good the defence has actually got worse since he arrived.

You'd imagine a better manager would be shipping fewer goals with two experienced seemingly competent, combative CB's at his disposal (I'm back at no.1 again) 

If Egert's in next seasons plans just let him play the rest of the matches, or play until (more likely) he gets injured again.

Or Stott if he can play again this season. 

Either way, I'd rather play a CB we own than a loanee.

CBJ - there's something there but he's yet another walking disaster loanee from a level way above. Most annoyingly you just know he'll go on and carve out an unspectacular but solid career in the Championship. 

We need a new left back.... 

Mills can do several jobs but I've not seen anything to want him first choice anywhere.

There's a chance here to give at least 3 of next seasons back 4 13 games to build understanding and hit the ground running in August.

McCann - I don't think I need to say anything here.

Missilou/Sylla/Maouche - I'd be looking to move any & all of these three on. None of them are good enough.

Meantime though I'd probably play Maouche with McCann on the basis we might get an upgraded version in in the summer.

Then again, he won't pass to Rowe so what would be the point? 

I'd maybe give Mills a go in CM.

Hopefully we can sign Smith so keep playing him. If we can't keep him we'll surely be looking to replace him with similar.

If we keep playing him in an experimental side with an eye on next season we can probably rely on him to score/create enough goals to keep us away from danger.

I like Branger a lot more than most do but, he still isn't good enough and doesn't play enough. And hes a grass, allegedly.

Nepo probably still wants away but I'd stick with him on the opposite wing to Smith.

Dearnley and Rowe upfront when Dearnley's fit. 

(I hesitate to put Dearnley in bold as we've already seen him flatter to decieve last season but you can't fault him so far this time)

I think we'll sign Mani provided he doesn't turn out utterly woeful so rotate him and ZD. 

Or do we go 3 upfront given the lack of quality in midfield? 

McCann with 2 of the others in a midfield 3 with Smith, Dearnley and Rowe as a 3 upfront, Mani, Nepo to come on to mix it up? 

Wilson we know isn't going to play if Dino stays so no point him even being on the bench. 

If we do bin Big Arms you'd think he'd get a go from a new manager...

Whatever unfolds we've got an opportunity here to use these last 13 games to decide how we want to play next season and steal a march on other sides.

Add quality in the summer to the core I've highlighted.

All of which makes for us being a huge opportunity for a better manager coming in now. 

13 proper matches with little chance of relegation PLUS pre-season to prepare....

So, pick a formation and system and stick with it.

Then come summer sign better quality.....

new keeper

new left back

creative midfielder

another striker, a known quantity not a punt

to add to what's left from this rabble..... 

I was thinking the same thing after the Crewe game coming out of the ground.

Some good comments.

Get  a new keeper is a must.We need a core of good players of which  the defence needs a shake up.I like Piergianni who shows commitment but Wheater needs to show more guts at times.Hamer I'd keep on even though a loss of form.Needs confidence and has the potential to be a good player.Midfield needs a sort out and I'm all for keeping our wingers .Happy with Dearnley and Rowe but Rowe needs assistance and he will score ..

Not keen on Branger and feel Wilson can do a better job up front  as proved at Macclesfield.

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

Humour me...

I agree with the majority of your comments.

Definitely need a new manager, Dino has done nothing to make me think he is the man to take us forward.

Try to get Piergianni permanent (seems surplus to requirements at Salford), he has really impressed me since his arrival.

Smith would be great, but I doubt we could get him for nowt, so that might be a none starter.

Dearnley was certainly looking good prior to his injury so I would keep him.

Wheater, I'd keep to play alongside Piergianni in the centre of defence.

Rowe has looked a definite improvement on what we already have up front since he arrived. 

McCann, I would keep.

Maouche, Missilou, Nepo and Sylla are all very capable at League 2 level, but I'm not convinced they are good enough between them to have us challenging for promotion. 

I would be looking for improvements if they can be found probably via loans.

We certainly need to keep the better players in the current squad, but need significant improvements on the poorer players in order to sustain a promotion challenge.

Most of all I'd take a new owner who has some money and the best interests of the club at heart, and is mentally stable.

Go out and do a massive scouting excercise and build up knowledge on as many players a possible and try and get some of them to agree to join in the summer.

The whole squad needs an overhaul McCann Hamer Wheater Rowe and Dearnley can stay Try and sign Smith. The rest except for the youngsters can go.

Won't make an ounce of difference who is in the dugout unless the squad has an absolute overhaul.

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Go out and do a massive scouting excercise and build up knowledge on as many players a possible and try and get some of them to agree to join in the summer.

The whole squad needs an overhaul McCann Hamer Wheater Rowe and Dearnley can stay Try and sign Smith. The rest except for the youngsters can go.

Won't make an ounce of difference who is in the dugout unless the squad has an absolute overhaul.

Scouting won't happen under this regime IMO, agents call the tune and we get what's offered if they fit into the pay bracket. It will be more of the same from Mo I expect. 

The way things stand, I wont be renewing my season ticket. The heart and soul has been ripped out of the club and it is now the property of a man who will do what ever he wants and doesn’t care about the cost. Given the financial situation, I dont think there will be an Oldham Athletic next season

44 minutes ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

The way things stand, I wont be renewing my season ticket. The heart and soul has been ripped out of the club and it is now the property of a man who will do what ever he wants and doesn’t care about the cost. Given the financial situation, I dont think there will be an Oldham Athletic next season

This is the "Season over? How would you plan for next season starting now?" thread....

There are plenty of "I'm not going any more and this is why..." threads.....

If we were a normal club I would remove Maamria and see if Cadamarteri or Murray would be interested in taking over.

Assuming one of them does I would allow them to select any players they wish with no interference but insist they must implement an attractive style of football which is enjoyable to watch.

I would tell the players that the slate is wiped clean but you are all effectively on trial.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

This is the "Season over? How would you plan for next season starting now?" thread....

There are plenty of "I'm not going any more and this is why..." threads.....

Ok grumpy. YES THE SEASON IS OVER. I WILL PLAN NEXT SEASON BY THINKING ABOUT WHAT I CAN SPEND MY SEASON TICKET MONRY ON. That ok for you?

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

If we were a normal club I would remove Maamria and see if Cadamarteri or Murray would be interested in taking over.

Assuming one of them does I would allow them to select any players they wish with no interference but insist they must implement an attractive style of football which is enjoyable to watch.

I would tell the players that the slate is wiped clean but you are all effectively on trial.

Was going to type similar but I agree with this.

How do the Youths play? Attacking, passing football? Or slow and fucking boring defensive football?

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Scouting won't happen under this regime IMO, agents call the tune and we get what's offered if they fit into the pay bracket. It will be more of the same from Mo I expect. 

Yeah sadly assuming they are here next year though they may well be gone.

11 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Your planet sounds lovely, can you give me directions? 

I always remain optimistic even if I think I may not have a team to support next season, and I only post on here about what I see or have seen on the pitch

There are many other far more surreal threads on this board than one that basically debates the quality of players we have and what we may need if we have any sort of future.

1 hour ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

I always remain optimistic 

That's because you live in a beautiful place on the Costa Del Sol 🤩  - my mate used to live near you in San Luis de Sabinillas.

Things didn't work out and he now lives in sunny Limeside. His general optimism in life has gone from around 8/10 to 4/10.

3 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

That's because you live in a beautiful place on the Costa Del Sol 🤩  - my mate used to live near you in San Luis de Sabinillas.

Things didn't work out and he now lives in sunny Limeside. His general optimism in life has gone from around 8/10 to 4/10.

Think I'd change that a bit and say I live here because I always was optimistic.😀 Most days we take a walk down to Sabinillas, only about 2K from my house.

1 minute ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Think I'd change that a bit and say I live here because I always was optimistic.😀 Most days we take a walk down to Sabinillas, only about 2K from my house.

Good on ya - beautiful part of the world and lovely people - I often get a hire car and just go touring Andalucia and beyond (avoiding most of the tourist places).

8 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

I'm in Estepona in April.

Any local teams worth taking in? 

I've checked if Urko's new side are in the area but they're playing in the North for the duration.... 

Archived