George Blackwood signs

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

Another promising signing, hope he's as good as our last Aussie! 

I have to say I'm starting to like the look of this squad, got a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised 

He will never be as good as Kewell...

Has anyone actually watched Australian footy? It's pretty poor so I'm not furiously masturbating my knob off over this.

It looks like Kewell's building a side with players he knows, which is fairly promising. I'm still approaching with caution this season. Not every team will be as hapless at the back as Carlisle were, but I'm having less worries about us being relegated.

He used "I'm stoked" in his Hello to all Latics fans message though, so he can be my own boo boy for that alone.

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Has anyone actually watched Australian footy? It's pretty poor so I'm not furiously masturbating my knob off over this.

It looks like Kewell's building a side with players he knows, which is fairly promising. I'm still approaching with caution this season. Not every team will be as hapless at the back as Carlisle were, but I'm having less worries about us being relegated.

He used "I'm stoked" in his Hello to all Latics fans message though, so he can be my own boo boy for that alone.

This exactly. Basically we've signed a League 2 player.

Like the others.

Gives much more hope than previous years, but the apple cart can still be upset. 

A month or two in and we'll be able to better judge, so fingers crossed. 

26 minutes ago, singe said:

This exactly. Basically we've signed a League 2 player.

Like the others.

Gives much more hope than previous years, but the apple cart can still be upset. 

A month or two in and we'll be able to better judge, so fingers crossed. 

Standard in the A-league is definitely better than league two

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Has anyone actually watched Australian footy? Yep, quite a bit on TV and in person (Come on Victory!).

In my opinion the A league is around upper League 1 standard, and the 2 Clubs (Sydney United & Adelaide) he has played for, are some of the better teams in the A league.

Seeing Latics are in League 2 I see Blackwood as a positive step.

Ex Latics player Joseph Mills who played for FGR and now Northampton (I'm surprised) played for Perth Glory here a few seasons ago, but could not catch the team on a regular basis. I did not rate him much when I saw him in the A league, yet he was in the team most weeks at FGR. If that helps you judge the standard.

Hopefully you will surprise when you watching.

If you really want a great Aussie soccer player, Latics should sign Sam Kerr, Oh! wait!

Having watched a bit of A-League on BT Sport, I’ve found the standard fairly poor, but with the odd decent player in there.

No idea how Blackwood will go on but I hope he stays fit and adapts to L2 with its shite winter pitches and physicality. 

I’m happier with the team compared to the last season, although I reckon a safe mid table finish maybe our limit. 

1 hour ago, ShireBlue said:

Having watched a bit of A-League on BT Sport, I’ve found the standard fairly poor, but with the odd decent player in there.

No idea how Blackwood will go on but I hope he stays fit and adapts to L2 with its shite winter pitches and physicality. 

I’m happier with the team compared to the last season, although I reckon a safe mid table finish maybe our limit. 

Have been told by an Aussie professional he's a very good and hard working player who just needs to work on his finishing.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Have been told by an Aussie professional he's a very good and hard working player who just needs to work on his finishing

If so we could have another Sam Surridge on our hands as similar was said about him when he arrived here.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Have been told by an Aussie professional he's a very good and hard working player who just needs to work on his finishing.

All we need to do is raise the crossbar 3 inches and he will hit 2 top corner screamers a game. He was ok when Adelaide played at Suncorp last year. Had a turn of pace over short distances, which is what we need in L2. 

Althouhj my gran is faster than the Brisbane players and she has been dead 35 years.

At best,  the A League is L1, at worst, Isthmian PL.

Archived