MATCH: vs Newport County (H) 23/01/21

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's a good chance that both sides will be weaker than the last time we met.  A lot of their good loanees have gone back to parent clubs (most notably Scott Twine) and they haven't had the chance to replace them, so they'll probably be solid rather than spectacular.  It's unclear what is happening with Clarke for us and of course there's the unknown about Rowe's replacement.

The starting XI for us could be anything really, going off last week's performance DKD and Garrity would deserve to start ahead of Ntambwe and McCalmont in midfield, but either way I'd like to see Hilßner playing deeper in midfield like in the 2nd half last week so that he can get on the ball early and start attacks, rather than the rest of the midfield giving it away early.

Our home form suggests a clear away win, but miracles do happen I guess!

48 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

It would definitely be a "Typical Latics" performance if we do.

I don’t get this....Rowe has gone ....he has played 3 games since November. We got 1 point ....he missed 6 games since November we got 10 points including scoring 4 away against Saturdays opponents, winning away to the league leaders and thumping his new club. 

2 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

I don’t get this....Rowe has gone ....he has played 3 games since November. We got 1 point ....he missed 6 games since November we got 10 points including scoring 4 away against Saturdays opponents, winning away to the league leaders and thumping his new club. 

...I didn't say anything about Rowe...?

1 minute ago, Sheep Foot said:

So what has happened to make it” typical Latics “ 

Them being near the top of the league and us being beyond terrible at home was my thinking.

I mentioned Rowe's replacement in the earlier post which at this time is an unknown, other than that he's not really relevant is he?

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Them being near the top of the league and us being beyond terrible at home was my thinking.

I mentioned Rowe's replacement in the earlier post which at this time is an unknown, other than that he's not really relevant is he?

In that case ...We won 4-2 there a few weeks ago.....they have not won a game since ....7 or 8 without a win.   A home win would be far from remarkable surely . A pleasant surprise perhaps 

11 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

In that case ...We won 4-2 there a few weeks ago.....they have not won a game since ....7 or 8 without a win.   A home win would be far from remarkable surely . A pleasant surprise perhaps 

If you disregard our home form I suppose you're right. 

Tomorrow's game should be a good indicator as to the mood of the camp, interesting to see who starts up front, especially as we have a depleted forward line, no Rowe and Dearnley still out injured.

I am also interested to hear what Kewell's pre match comments will be.

I've got Newport down for a win.

33 minutes ago, leeflorida said:

I just looked and last time we finished top half of the table was 2008/2009. Quite depressing :(

Our remaining games in January look bleak for points

Home v 2nd place Newport County

Away v 6th place Cheltenham Town

Home v 5th place Salford City

Without picking up at least 2-3 players to improve the team, being only 8pts off the drop zone and with the likelihood of no points in the next 3 games we're going to be back in the mix for the trapdoor into non league football

Our Away form has kept us safe so far this season but even that's stuttering now and we cant buy points at Home

UhOh ! :help:

41 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Our remaining games in January look bleak for points

Home v 2nd place Newport County

Away v 6th place Cheltenham Town

Home v 5th place Salford City

Without picking up at least 2-3 players to improve the team, being only 8pts off the drop zone and with the likelihood of no points in the next 3 games we're going to be back in the mix for the trapdoor into non league football

Our Away form has kept us safe so far this season but even that's stuttering now and we cant buy points at Home

UhOh ! :help:

Worry not. Karl says we have a top 10 side, even tho he has nothing to do with the footballing side and not interested. 

2 hours ago, tGWB said:

What App is that from Matt ?

its from https://footystats.org/

Note that it's had at least one error to my knowledge, they recorded the Bournemouth game as 5-0 not 4-1; however that particular stat was relating to form so it didn't affect the WDL. I am on the lookout for something else.

Archived