List the best keepers we've ever had in the lower divisions.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

And his dad Fred,who also played for us, was your grandad?

Well I never knew my Grandad so could be...

I believe my Grandad was a bit of a character; I'm also always intrigued that Eric Sykes and my Dad could have been mistaken for twins - and they lived two streets apart.  Hmmm....

Ogden and Pogs, definitely. I'd add Gary Kelly, but not Miskelly. I thought Ripley was excellent and so was Iverson (surprisingly muted response from some fans, but i thought he was better than Ripley).

I have to leave this site now as i'm still having flashbacks to last nights horror show at the back - just punch it you dickhead....

Les Pogliacomi was o.k. until his injury and then he became Liz pogs, Gary Kelly was a good shot stopper but Dracula with crosses, too small, Chris Ogden wasn't big but a better keeper. Recently I'd go for Iverson or Ripley, the best short term keeper we've ever had without doubt was Bruce Grobbelaar, now he did command the whole area.

Just now, C.O.JONES said:

Les Pogliacomi was o.k. until his injury and then he became Liz pogs, Gary Kelly was a good shot stopper but Dracula with crosses, too small, Chris Ogden wasn't big but a better keeper. Recently I'd go for Iverson or Ripley, the best short term keeper we've ever had without doubt was Bruce Grobbelaar, now he did command the whole area.

Grobbelaar was a disaster here.

2 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Kelly was very good on crosses, he used timing to make up for his lack of height.

I'd like to give an honourable mention to Barry Gordine.

He had the difficult task of replacing David Best in 1968-69, but did well despite the team finishing in 24th place in the old Div 3 and being relegated. In 1969-70 he had another excellent season, despite the side being engaged in a desperate struggle to avoid having to apply for re-election. When one of the football magazines (I think it was Shoot) published their best Div 4 line up for that season, they selected Gordine as their keeper.

It all went wrong in the 1970-71 promotion season. Frizzell signed a goalie called Maurice Short from Middlesbrough, who displaced Gordine from the side at the start of the campaign. Short however proved absolutely hopeless, and Gordine won back his place after half a dozen matches, continuing to impress: in a 1-0 win at high-flying Chester in November, Jim Williams described him as 'safe as the Bank of England' in his match report (that was in the era before Quantitative Easing, LOL). A few weeks later, he had his one bad game in a 2-4 home defeat by Southport (where he gave away the opening goal) and within days Frizzell had signed Harry Dowd from Man City, who stepped straight into the side for the next match and remained first choice keeper for the next three years.

Gordine only made one more appearance for Latics, covering for Dowd in a match at Darlington in Feb '71. Not only that, but he never made another appearance in professional football for any team, despite being only 22 in 1971. From what I can remember, he definitely had the potential to have played at a higher level than Div 3 or Div 4, and can only guess that he might have had problems with his attitude and application to the game. Maybe there was also a personality clash with Frizzell, who clearly didn't see him as first choice keeper for the 70-71 season, and was very quick to drop him after the Southport match.

i have supported latics actively for 60 yrsiin that time missed only 25 home matches-sickness.weddings funerals and greame sharp.there have beensome good keepers and bad.my top choice is david best.worse,maurice short.on 10 sept 1966 v middleboro away,best played the finest keeper performance of a latcs keeper imo.billy johnston had his ankle broken that day by a gorilla mamed dickie roots.but for that injury to johnston latics would have been promoted.anyone of a certain age remember.

27 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

I'd like to give an honourable mention to Barry Gordine.

He had the difficult task of replacing David Best in 1968-69, but did well despite the team finishing in 24th place in the old Div 3 and being relegated. In 1969-70 he had another excellent season, despite the side being engaged in a desperate struggle to avoid having to apply for re-election. When one of the football magazines (I think it was Shoot) published their best Div 4 line up for that season, they selected Gordine as their keeper.

It all went wrong in the 1970-71 promotion season. Frizzell signed a goalie called Maurice Short from Middlesbrough, who displaced Gordine from the side at the start of the campaign. Short however proved absolutely hopeless, and Gordine won back his place after half a dozen matches, continuing to impress: in a 1-0 win at high-flying Chester in November, Jim Williams described him as 'safe as the Bank of England' in his match report (that was in the era before Quantitative Easing, LOL). A few weeks later, he had his one bad game in a 2-4 home defeat by Southport (where he gave away the opening goal) and within days Frizzell had signed Harry Dowd from Man City, who stepped straight into the side for the next match and remained first choice keeper for the next three years.

Gordine only made one more appearance for Latics, covering for Dowd in a match at Darlington in Feb '71. Not only that, but he never made another appearance in professional football for any team, despite being only 22 in 1971. From what I can remember, he definitely had the potential to have played at a higher level than Div 3 or Div 4, and can only guess that he might have had problems with his attitude and application to the game. Maybe there was also a personality clash with Frizzell, who clearly didn't see him as first choice keeper for the 70-71 season, and was very quick to drop him after the Southport match.

Gordine is the first one that I really remember.  I can recall being very impressed that he could jump up and ping the crossbar up and down.  But then I was short at the time (not unreasonably, given I was 6)

Archived