Likely starting 11 v Newport?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, is this likely starting XI stronger or weaker than the typical starting XI last season?  I'd say weaker as I can't see that many in there would displace their equivalents from last time round.  If that's right then that means we are relying on coaching and management to have any realistic hope of an improvement

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Sorry, changed my mind

A. Keeper

Adams

Clarke

MaGahey

Badan

Hart

Diarra

Whelan

Bahamboula

DKD

Hope

Hart and Badan can swap about and cover for each other going forward

At an absolute stretch having Hart at centre back and Badan at wing back could work.

Badan centrally in a back three in place of Pidge would be such a bad decision that I'm not even sure Mo would make it.  Pidge is a fairly bog-standard League Two centre back, Badan is barely League Two standard as a left back, let alone as a centre back!

8 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

The ever reliable DMaarms Twitter is telling us to expect a new signing and a club statement, possibly today. Hoping it’s somebody good enough to change that starting 11. 

Has to be another CM to go in alongside Whelan surely.

11 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

The ever reliable DMaarms Twitter is telling us to expect a new signing and a club statement, possibly today. Hoping it’s somebody good enough to change that starting 11. 

As long as its not Niel Danns on a season long contract...

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

So, is this likely starting XI stronger or weaker than the typical starting XI last season?  I'd say weaker as I can't see that many in there would displace their equivalents from last time round.  If that's right then that means we are relying on coaching and management to have any realistic hope of an improvement

Its a toughy because we were so poor at retaining the ball or breaking teams down at home and then throw into that our miserable goals against column its hard to imagine being worse.

Weve lost goals in McCelany and brought in Hope who is a grafter who will score a few, DKD could bag a few if he continues to improve and Bahamboula will create problems for defences, if he can chip in with a few more then that would be a decent front 3, and if Dearnley could have a run of games he could also bag a few.

Center mid I'm thinking we're weak but losing garrity is no loss, we've lost the lad from Leeds but I think were an experienced head missing in the middle, I have an opinion on how that could be tweaked but it would be slaughtered on here.

If the defence & keeper can stay fit then I feel it will be better than last year.

And of course the coach and his team will hopefully add something.

I think we will be harder to beat but wont score as many. 

Not great but its what we've got.

For me we're an exp midfielder and a maybe a big target man away from being a decent league 2 team.

1 minute ago, Crowngreen said:

He can’t run he can’t turn he can’t read a game he can’t kick with his right foot and he isn’t much better with his left. He is excellent at attacking an aerial ball in front of him.. 

I take it your a big fan of his 🤔🤣

8 minutes ago, Crowngreen said:

He can’t run he can’t turn he can’t read a game he can’t kick with his right foot and he isn’t much better with his left. He is excellent at attacking an aerial ball in front of him.. 

What? He cant read the game? Thats one of his best qualities! He wins every header against his man. He is the one clearing most corners. He's scored a few own goals unluckily. But thats because hes read whats going to happen and tried to stop it. Hes a beast. Yes he cant run, and not great woth his long balls. But he's a proper old fashioned CB who bullies strikers and wins his duels and comes out with the ball more often than not. We don't need an all singing dancing super footwork CB. We need someone with pace alongside pierrgianni yes but im happy to have pierrgianni winning the ball and 5 yard pass to someone else like whelan to play with it. Football has gone crazy with this need for CBs to be playmakers. In league two id rather have a pierrgianni 

4 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

What? He cant read the game? Thats one of his best qualities! He wins every header against his man. He is the one clearing most corners. He's scored a few own goals unluckily. But thats because hes read whats going to happen and tried to stop it. Hes a beast. Yes he cant run, and not great woth his long balls. But he's a proper old fashioned CB who bullies strikers and wins his duels and comes out with the ball more often than not. We don't need an all singing dancing super footwork CB. We need someone with pace alongside pierrgianni yes but im happy to have pierrgianni winning the ball and 5 yard pass to someone else like whelan to play with it. Football has gone crazy with this need for CBs to be playmakers. In league two id rather have a pierrgianni 

Its funny how we see different things in our own players.

I agree with you tho, I really don't understand the bashing of Pidge.

Much bigger issues with the team than him.

13 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Weve lost goals in McCelany and brought in Hope who is a grafter who will score a few, DKD could bag a few if he continues to improve and Bahamboula will create problems for defences, if he can chip in with a few more then that would be a decent front 3, and if Dearnley could have a run of games he could also bag a few.

One in four would be slightly above average for Hope, Bahamboula may well still go and Dearnley may or may not be fit.    That redefines thin.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

I'll have a tenner with you that Hope doesn't get double figure league goals if you like

Why as a fan are you so determined to see a player fail.

Dont get it, I said he could score a few, I also said its not great but its what we've got.

I'm sure if we signed Harry Kane people would say he's injury prone or getting on.

As to the bet, a £10 bet for me needs to return alot more than £10....... 

1 minute ago, maximus1267 said:

Why as a fan are you so determined to see a player fail.

Dont get it, I said he could score a few, I also said its not great but its what we've got.

I'm sure if we signed Harry Kane people would say he's injury prone or getting on.

As to the bet, a £10 bet for me needs to return alot more than £10....... 

How do you interpret that as me being determined that he fail?  It's just rational.  AS he scores round about 1 in 4/5 it's about the right odds

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

How do you interpret that as me being determined that he fail?  It's just rational.  AS he scores round about 1 in 4/5 it's about the right 

Perhaps I put that accross wrongly which I apologise for.

To want to bet that he doesn't meet your rationale of 10 goals suggest you are pretty certain of the stats.

Thats fine.

Ian Marshall didn't score many until he played for us 🤷‍♂️

Just now, maximus1267 said:

Perhaps I put that accross wrongly which I apologise for.

To want to bet that he doesn't meet your rationale of 10 goals suggest you are pretty certain of the stats.

Thats fine.

Ian Marshall didn't score many until he played for us 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, maximus1267 said:

No need to apologise.  I hope he finds a rich goalscoring vein

3 minutes ago, Crowngreen said:

81 goals conceded last season. No other team conceded even 70.  Since he is our defensive lynch pin apparently I am not sure we do have bigger issues with the team to be honest 

Have you ever played football, at amateur or semi pro level.....

If you have you would look back at your comment and realise how daft it is, surely

49 minutes ago, Crowngreen said:

81 goals conceded last season. No other team conceded even 70.  Since he is our defensive lynch pin apparently I am not sure we do have bigger issues with the team to be honest 

Under the 1950s Revie system Manchester City conceded 6 and

7 a game.  But no one blamed  one of the greatest keepers ever seen Bert Trautmann, It's a team game.

Just now, Crowngreen said:

Team concedes 81 , centre half and captain carries no resposibikty for that.? 

So its Pidges fault we conceded 81 goals ?

What about a defence that were constantly put under pressure by the players in front of them constantly giving the ball away ?

What about a midfield thas was powder puff and just walked past by opposition players ?

What about a centre half who was partnered with a total rookie who had potential but was not up to league two standard ?

What about a manager who's sole aim was to outscore teams and not really have any defensive know how ?

57 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

At an absolute stretch having Hart at centre back and Badan at wing back could work.

Badan centrally in a back three in place of Pidge would be such a bad decision that I'm not even sure Mo would make it.  Pidge is a fairly bog-standard League Two centre back, Badan is barely League Two standard as a left back, let alone as a centre back!

LCB isnt really a CB tho, but l take on board your comments

5 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

So its Pidges fault we conceded 81 goals ?

What about a defence that were constantly put under pressure by the players in front of them constantly giving the ball away ?

What about a midfield thas was powder puff and just walked past by opposition players ?

What about a centre half who was partnered with a total rookie who had potential but was not up to league two standard ?

What about a manager who's sole aim was to outscore teams and not really have any defensive know how ?

And what a bout our keeper who used to hate crosses and shots low down 

Just now, Frankies6 said:

And what a bout our keeper who used to hate crosses and shots low down 

Yeh keepers were poor too..... but it was all Pidges fault.

And none of us are saying Pidge is fantastic but he is more than cable with better players around him, and thats the same for alot of players.

Archived