Derby Situation

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You are correct.

However conflating a tiny percentage of an away ticket with full home match ticket and spend in the ground is clutching to say the least. 

Maybe but it makes my esteemed fellow poster Mr Eyres correct that it isn't a full on boycott...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Maybe but it makes my esteemed fellow poster Mr Eyres correct that it isn't a full on boycott...

😂True-

On the basis of a tiny percentage of away tickets, that probably isn’t enough to pay the electric bill for the season- yes he is correct. But as usual completely irrelevant in the bigger picture. 

45 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

When Mr Owen makes every away game all ticket with tickets needed to be purchased in advance from Oldham, then the away day only bunch will, whether it's a small percentage or not, indeed be funding the Lemsagam brothers...

I intend to only do away games next season and it might be only 1 or 2 at that if they make it impossible to get tickets then I just won't go and do other things on Saturday I've survived pretty well doing that the last 9 months and could do it for several years if necessary. In the meantime the club will still have bills to pay and let's face it they ain't getting too many fans to replace us.

Ofcourse if they want to start acting like a football club again I'll come back but I'll stay away in the meantime.

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂True-

On the basis of a tiny percentage of away tickets, that probably isn’t enough to pay the electric bill for the season- yes he is correct. But as usual completely irrelevant in the bigger picture. 

Might pay Mr Owen's travel expenses to away games...

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That’s a fair point. 

If you’re going to away games- you must accept that the squad will be poor without home match revenue. 

Unless you think that we’re big fish, money doesn’t matter and we’ll romp the league anyway based on our tradition alone. 

But you can guarantee fans won't accept it and that's where the idea falls down.

7 hours ago, GKing521 said:

According to reports this morning it looks like there’s a chance Derby could go to the wall 

Oh well.

I’d actually welcome a larger club going bang to be honest. Might help shake things up a bit. The powers that be certainly haven’t given much of a shit to ‘smaller’ clubs going that way. 

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Well the captain of the reigning champions chose to come here over at least one other NL team and Porter was offered a chance to go to a L2 side in the area (albeit told he would not be a regular) and still chose to come here...

With the Halifax captain soon to be added...

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

But you can guarantee fans won't accept it and that's where the idea falls down.

How does it fall down? 

Because you think we’re big fish capable of signing enough quality players to finish top ten. . . So by your own reckoning money seems irrelevant. 

To go further- your part of your own problem. Because when you claim we’re a big fish capable of signing players irrespective of money, you heighten expectations. The same expectations that you’re calling others out for as unrealistic. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

How does it fall down? 

Because you think we’re big fish capable of signing enough quality players to finish top ten. . . So by your own reckoning money seems irrelevant. 

To go further- your part of your own problem. Because when you claim we’re a big fish capable of signing players irrespective of money, you heighten expectations. The same expectations that you’re calling others out for as unrealistic. 

If you believe in the notion of starving the owners having the desired effect then how can you turn up to away games and act as though all is well? Bizarre mindset.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If you believe in the notion of starving the owners having the desired effect then how can you turn up to away games and act as though all is well? Bizarre mindset.

It’s hard to debate when you answer questions with more questions and hold multiple contradicting view points- non of which you can’t answer because you know you’re talking bollocks. I enjoy it for a while, particularly when I’m bored. Then I realise being bored is preferable to tackling your multi view persona on here. 

As for the last reply- one step to far.

Work on your subtlety. 

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Both. We'll still be one of the more attractive propositions in the league regardless due to history and potential.

If you believe that, you are pretty naive.

Football is a pretty incestuous world, and once a club gets the wrong kind of reputation the word spreads quickly. Players don't like playing at clubs who are liable not to pay them.  They don't like playing at clubs that compete with one hand tied behind their back, because their own reputation and CV are liable to suffer. Clubs with talented kids are loathe to send them out on loan to you because they don't trust you to look after them. I know all this because we went through it. 

I don't blame you for placing a value on your history. There is plenty there for you be proud of. But you aren't alone in that, and the history you are proud of has no more currency than that of FA Cup semi-finalists Chesterfield, or former European Cup Winner's Cup quarter finalists Wrexham, and it is equally irrelevant, once the players cross the white line. if anything, it could be handicap because everybody is aware of it and plenty of clubs will want to put you in your place.

You give me the impression that you think being at this level is an anomaly and a bit of an  inconvenience.  But it is going to become your natural station in life unless something radically changes at the top of the club. Personally, I'd be focusing on that rather making the kind of  pedantic, nit-picking contribution that you have a reputation for.

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s hard to debate when you answer questions with more questions and hold multiple contradicting view points- non of which you can’t answer because you know you’re talking bollocks. I enjoy it for a while, particularly when I’m bored. Then I realise being bored is preferable to tackling your multi view persona on here. 

As for the last reply- one step to far.

Work on your subtlety. 

If you boycott everything, home games, away games, merch, I can understand that, it makes sense. I don't understand how someone makes the effort to go to say Chesterfield on the Saturday but then doesn't go to the home game the following Tuesday or Saturday.

4 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

He's not wrong though. At risk of repeating myself, we have signed the captain of the reigning champions (who turned down a NL playoff side), we've signed a proven goalscorer who turned down a L2 club and we are about to sign the captain of a NL playoff side who has had offers to move down south in the EFL...

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's not wrong though. At risk of repeating myself, we have signed the captain of the reigning champions (who turned down a NL playoff side), we've signed a proven goalscorer who turned down a L2 club and we are about to sign the captain of a NL playoff side who has had offers to move down south in the EFL...

Depends which Eyrsey you’re talking to. 

If the money is there, should we be attractive in this league. Yes. 

But he also says- there’s no money because of the boycott and AL will cut his cloth. That doesn’t look like it’s happening does it? 

15 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Football is a pretty incestuous world, and once a club gets the wrong kind of reputation the word spreads quickly. Players don't like playing at clubs who are liable not to pay them.  They don't like playing at clubs that compete with one hand tied behind their back, because their own reputation and CV are liable to suffer. Clubs with talented kids are loathe to send them out on loan to you because they don't trust you to look after them. I know all this because we went through it. 

I don't blame you for placing a value on your history. There is plenty there for you be proud of. But you aren't alone in that, and the history you are proud of has no more currency than that of FA Cup semi-finalists Chesterfield, or former European Cup Winner's Cup quarter finalists Wrexham, and it is equally irrelevant, once the players cross the white line. if anything, it could be handicap because everybody is aware of it and plenty of clubs will want to put you in your place.

You give me the impression that you think being in this level is an anomaly and a bit of an  inconvenience.  But it is going to become your natural station in life unless something radically changes at the top of the club. Personally, I'd be focusing on that rather making the kind of  pedantic, nit-picking contribution that you have a reputation for.

All those points were very valid in the FL Bas, and I'm not generally someone who holds onto history or thinks we shouldn't be where we are but it is unquestionable that our perceived stature will be an advantage at the current time, whether or not we can capitalise on that is another matter.

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If you boycott everything, home games, away games, merch, I can understand that, it makes sense. I don't understand how someone makes the effort to go to say Chesterfield on the Saturday but then doesn't go to the home game the following Tuesday or Saturday.

If you don’t understand the financial and emotional difference between that by now, then I guess you never will. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But he also says- there’s no money because of the boycott and AL will cut his cloth. That doesn’t look like it’s happening does it? 

I've not said there'll be no money, I've no idea. The boycotters aim is to force the owner out through that avenue is it not?

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

There is money this season from parachute payments, someone is still obviously prepared to fund it (for how long who knows) given we've a squad bigger now than we have had for a number of years at this stage of pre season, we could have more money for 2 or 3 better players if season ticket sales were at a norm so that's a shame but it doesn't seem to be the big issue boycotters were making it out to be a month ago and it looks like we will be fielding a fairly decent team after all.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

There is money this season from parachute payments, someone is still obviously prepared to fund it (for how long who knows) given we've a squad bigger now than we have had for a number of years at this stage of pre season, we could have more money for 2 or 3 better players if season ticket sales were at a norm so that's a shame but it doesn't seem to be the big issue boycotters were making it out to be a month ago and it looks like we will be fielding a fairly decent team after all.

I'd wait until the season starts before commenting on the standard of the side. We've signed a half decent non league defender and a likely to be over the hill striker.

I'd not be suprised to see a few leave yet to get their wages gone.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yeah.

The parachute payment isn’t a lot though- £80k I think. Down from £450k in the EFL. So AL must be putting a fair chunk in, which makes the boycott a bit moot. Which is probably exactly why they found the money. 

6 minutes ago, Clifford said:

I'd wait until the season starts before commenting on the standard of the side. We've signed a half decent non league defender and a likely to be over the hill striker.

I'd not be suprised to see a few leave yet to get their wages gone.

Why? I've seen a dozen of them play and I'm happy with what's coming in, I wouldn't be surprised if we do alright and I'm more positive than I was a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Why? I've seen a dozen of them play and I'm happy with what's coming in, I wouldn't be surprised if we do alright and I'm more positive than I was a few weeks ago.

You must know of other signings, I don't. The squad from last season that remains isn't grounds for massive optimism. 

I also think a few will be pushing to leave including Fondop, Hart and Clarke not to mention the talented kids.

Archived