Derby Situation

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

No other fanbases or media regarded us as such although they respected the away followings.

True, and you're right, we're likely to be see as a bigger draw in non-league. At least for the first season or two 🤦‍♂️

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

If you are attending away games then presumably you want to see a competitive team

Unless you are one of the types who just goes for a day out then surely you go with the hope of seeing your team win, how does marry up with depriving the owners and club of funds?

I live over 200 miles away, I'm not boycotting as such 

My nearest ground in the league is over 80 miles away. I'll be going to precious few games home or away. 

6 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

When Mr Owen makes every away game all ticket with tickets needed to be purchased in advance from Oldham, then the away day only bunch will, whether it's a small percentage or not, indeed be funding the Lemsagam brothers...

Pennies, which is why I said close to zero relevance

19 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

In laymen's terms the EFL are panicking because they will have to produce a fixture list very soon and will struggle to do so if a deal is not over the line in the very near future.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds, Derby are a big club, we are not talking the likes of Bury or Macclesfield here, this will be very uncomfortable for the EFL.

4 minutes ago, hillside blue said:

In laymen's terms the EFL are panicking because they will have to produce a fixture list very soon and will struggle to do so if a deal is not over the line in the very near future.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds, Derby are a big club, we are not talking the likes of Bury or Macclesfield here, this will be very uncomfortable for the EFL.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that there maybe an EFL fixture list version with us on it. 

2 hours ago, GKing521 said:

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that there maybe an EFL fixture list version with us on it. 

I think it is highly unlikely. That would mean a L1 with 23 clubs in it and a L2 with 25. Unless you reprieve whoever finished fourth bottom in L1, I guess. And of course whichever way the EFL tried to cover it, the knock on impact would be to leave the NL one short. I can't see that happening either.

Given we are only eleven days away from the fixtures being published, I can't see the various Leagues doing anything other than the easiest thing. Which is just to run L1 with 23 clubs, if the worst comes to the worst. 

Feel free to throw mud at me if I'm wrong....

14 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I think it is highly unlikely. That would mean a L1 with 23 clubs in it and a L2 with 25. Unless you reprieve whoever finished fourth bottom in L1, I guess. And of course whichever way the EFL tried to cover it, the knock on impact would be to leave the NL one short. I can't see that happening either.

Given we are only eleven days away from the fixtures being published, I can't see the various Leagues doing anything other than the easiest thing. Which is just to run L1 with 23 clubs, if the worst comes to the worst. 

That's the only logical and moral way forward 

We can't ask for the support of clubs whilst dancing on the grave of another 

We were the 2nd worst team in the football league and deserve to be where we are 

If I recall correctly the fixture list is compiled by one bloke rather than some fancy algorithm. There was a piece on the BBC a while back. I think someone posted a link on here.

While we used to complain about poor dates for certain games there are a surprising number of linkages. Beyond the obvious such as two big city clubs at home there are all sorts of other constraints. Basile can correct me  but I think Blackpool and Preston used to share stewards so only one could be at home.  Some of the linkages were quite surprising forming something of a daisy chain with A linked to B who were linked to C etc.

I don't think it is at all practicable to create a revised fixture list in 11 days.

The only way it could happen would be if someone at the efl had the foresight to think Derby might go bump. Unlikely given the EFL's track record.

At some point the EFL will have to make a decision, such a decision will set a precedent for any future clubs in Derby's situation.

My earlier point suggested it would be an easier decision for EFL regarding smaller clubs suffering a similar plight. 

Someone at the EFL will have to make the decision sooner or later.

46 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

If I recall correctly the fixture list is compiled by one bloke rather than some fancy algorithm. There was a piece on the BBC a while back. I think someone posted a link on here.

While we used to complain about poor dates for certain games there are a surprising number of linkages. Beyond the obvious such as two big city clubs at home there are all sorts of other constraints. Basile can correct me  but I think Blackpool and Preston used to share stewards so only one could be at home.  Some of the linkages were quite surprising forming something of a daisy chain with A linked to B who were linked to C etc.

I don't think it is at all practicable to create a revised fixture list in 11 days.

The only way it could happen would be if someone at the efl had the foresight to think Derby might go bump. Unlikely given the EFL's track record.

I thought it WAS done by an algorithm, but you may be better informed than me.

On your point about Preston ; every club (as I understand it) nominates a club it does not want to clash with, which in our case down the years has always been PNE, as a far as I know. We may well share stewards (probably do), but I think that follows the fixture list, rather than the other way around, if you see what I mean.

If we get a reprise then that makes 25 teams in L2 23 in L1 and 24 in the championship to even that out you are going to have to have to promote a team from L2 seems abit unfair on the sides that they had to beat to win promotion and it could cause bother with other club's.

The simplest solution is to have a 23 team L1 in 22/23 and have 3 teams go down from L1 rather than 4 and 1 goes down from L2 with 2 coming up which would even it out at the start of 23/24.

I expect Derby to survive just in time as other buyers will be waiting in the wings if they don't them then the scenario I suggest at above will most likely happen.

In the meantime we should prepare for the national league.

EDIT: I had to redo my workings 😀

2 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Yes, this is the crucial difference to when Macclesfield went under - they were already in the bottom division, so they didn't have to do knock-on reprieves up the divisions.

Even if Derby can't start the season, they're so big that the EFL and FA will bend any rule going to keep them around.

I could see them being allowed to not compete this season, finish 24th by default, and be allowed to start 2023-24 in League Two.  Or just put out the youth team for this season, with the same effect.

21 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Even if Derby can't start the season, they're so big that the EFL and FA will bend any rule going to keep them around.

I could see them being allowed to not compete this season, finish 24th by default, and be allowed to start 2023-24 in League Two.  Or just put out the youth team for this season, with the same effect.

There is a precedent of sorts for that (allowing them to start the season) - Bury could have been kicked out before their last season started, but weren't.

As for being allowed to start again  in L2 if they start the season and then default - I'm less sure about that, as I think a default would automatically lead to them forfeiting their golden share. Once they do that, I can't see the rest of the EFL Members being willing to countenance anything other than expulsion. I'm very surprised by how many of their fans think a phoenix club could start in L2. I just don't see it at all.

48 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I expect Derby to survive just in time as other buyers will be waiting in the wings if they don't them then the scenario I suggest at above will most likely happen.

The shadow of Ashley hovering over them. A master at getting assets at knock down prices.

28 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

The shadow of Ashley hovering over them. A master at getting assets at knock down prices.

Oh god yes he's made a career out of it. The problem will be what can Ashley get out of it as he's done that in his business career for financial gain. If he wanted to take them to the Premier League and do no more than keep them in it, taking the TV money each year and take a profit. Then I think Derby fans would be more accommodating to that than Newcastle fans, however to do that he would have to stump up some serious capital to make that happen, to take them from L1 to the PL and he would likely be operating under some fairly strict transfer restrictions to begin with (see Bolton Wanderers)

To do that he'd probably need to burn close to 9 figures. He'd have the capacity to do that but how willing would he be prepared to do it as it would be a gamble or would he take over them and just try and make them a profitable championship club something that I'm not sure Derby fans would be that happy with long term.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

To do that he'd probably need to burn close to 9 figures. He'd have the capacity to do that but how willing would he be prepared to do it as it would be a gamble or would he take over them and just try and make them a profitable championship club something that I'm not sure Derby fans would be that happy with long term.

Hard to find a profitable team in The Championship. More likely he would be looking at getting them up to P/Lge and just doing enough to keep them there then selling up and moving on.

Basically doing a Newcastle Utd again.

As for your last bit of the quote-well, does it really matter to them what the fans feel (as our situation proves)? He stuck it at Newcastle for long enough.

Archived